Southwest Airlines Co-Pilot Arrested For Bringing Loaded Gun To Airport

You have to wonder what the hell he was thinking or going to do.

Southwest Airlines Co-Pilot Arrested For Bringing Loaded Gun To Airport

ALBANY, New York (CBSDFW.COM) –  A first officer was arrested at Albany International Airport Monday after Transportation Security Administration officers discovered a loaded .380 caliber handgun in his carry-on bag.

The TSA said the firearm was loaded with six bullets.

TSA officers detected the firearm among the Southwest co-pilot’s carry-on items as he entered the airport checkpoint, the agency said in a news release.

The TSA officer immediately contacted the Albany County Sheriff’s Deputy who was assigned to the checkpoint, who responded, confiscated the firearm and arrested the pilot on a weapons charge. The flight, bound for Chicago-Midway Airport, was delayed for approximately four hours.

“This incident highlights the importance of what TSA and its dedicated security officers do each and every day in protecting the flying public,” said TSA’s Upstate New York

“The security of Albany International Airport is one of my top priorities for the sheriff’s office and this incident highlights the importance of the work we do there,” said Albany County Sheriff Craig D. Apple, Sr.

While firearms, firearm parts and ammunition are not permitted in carry-on bags, they can be transported in checked bags if they are unloaded, properly packed and declared to the airline.

People who bring firearms to the checkpoint are subject to possible criminal charges from law enforcement and civil penalties from TSA of up to $12,000.

m law enforcement and civil penalties from TSA of up to $12,000.

Nothing sinister here...from another article:

Erik Gibson, 55, was slated to pilot a flight to Chicago when Transportation Security Administration officials found the .380-caliber handgun during a routine screening, Albany County Sheriff Craig Apple said.

Gibson told authorities he forgot he was carrying the gun, Apple said. He had flown to Albany from New Orleans on Sunday but had gone through a crew line that did not have security screening.

Probably just another Texan on a layover. Doesn't go anywhere without his six-shooter.;)

The scary part is that this was his 2nd flight with the gun and he avoided screening through a "crew line".  Sort of illustrates an open door policy that is a very large gap in security.

8 hours ago, mo32a said:

But they are allowed to - if they have had the training, he was just a little premature, a perennial pilot problem.;)

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=125224&page=1 

I think this is an excellent program.  I don't want a gun and I don't want the guy beside me to have a gun either but the fact that the pilot might have a gun will be a significant deterrent to anyone with nefarious intention.

On 4/19/2017 at 1:55 AM, seeker said:

I think this is an excellent program.  I don't want a gun and I don't want the guy beside me to have a gun either but the fact that the pilot might have a gun will be a significant deterrent to anyone with nefarious intention.

I too don't want a gun. What I do envy is how those who do carry are treated at the security checkpoints.

Archived