Air Canada's "Over Booking" problem.

Jaydee

23 minutes ago, moeman said:

we used to oversell flights to China

It was first seen on the HKG flights where they were 'oversold' by over 100% (I once saw an A340 'booked' to 600+ passengers but went out with open seats). because it took time to sift through the phoney bookings.

The people who calculate the oversell factor are extremely good at what they do.  I often travel non-rev and see flights that are showing more passengers than seats and yet everyone plus the few cons will get on.  Rarely does it ever happen that the cash offers are made and, when they are, usually there is a stampede of a half dozen who want the cash.  Even more rarely does someone end up getting involuntarily bumped but of course, when they do, the immediate response is to take to Twitter and to contact CBC.  What does happen very often, that gets confused with "overbooking," is when someone gets delayed on their first flight and misses the connecting flight so they get listed standby on the next flight.  If they don't get on that flight they'll rant and rave about overbooking but of course that's not what happened.  Even some agents will call the situation "overbooked" when they do their PAs.  The real problem is a lack of knowledge that results in any time that someone doesn't get on a flight getting characterized as; "that rotten airline overbooked."

Air Canada offers apology and ‘very generous compensation’ after bumping 10-year-old boy from flight

Mon Apr 17, 2017 - National Post

CHARLOTTETOWN — Air Canada has apologized to a Prince Edward Island family after the airline bumped a 10-year-old boy from a flight.

Brett Doyle booked four tickets from Charlottetown to Costa Rica for his family last August.

A day before their March break vacation, Doyle said he tried to check in his family online, but he could not select a seat for his son.

After hours on the phone with Air Canada, Doyle’s wife drove to the airport and was told the flight was oversold and their son had been bumped.

The family then drove to Moncton to catch a different Air Canada flight to meet the Costa Rica flight in Montreal, but when that flight was cancelled they were forced to drive to Halifax and stay overnight in a hotel.

Air Canada said in an email it has apologized to the Doyle family.

“We are currently following up to understand what went wrong and have apologized to Mr. Doyle and his family as well as offered a very generous compensation to the family for their inconvenience,” Air Canada spokeswoman Isabelle Arthur said in an email Monday.

Doyle said he was offered a $2,500 voucher, which expires in one year, and was told Air Canada may cover his expenses.

The family’s misadventure underscores the airline industry’s controversial practice of overselling flights and bumping passengers.

In the P.E.I. family’s case, Doyle said an Air Canada agent told him at the airport that the plane had only 28 seats, but 34 tickets had been sold.

“She said it was very unlikely that six people wouldn’t show up for a flight over March break,” he said.

Arthur said families travelling with children under the age of 12 are typically seated together, but she said a “miscommunication” occurred because the airline was not dealing directly with the family.

However, Doyle said he reached out to Air Canada several times before and after the family’s trip, to no avail.

“It wasn’t until the media picked up the story that Air Canada actually contacted us,” he said.

The airline spokeswoman said the overselling of flights is done using computer algorithms that look at historical data to identify patterns of where and when customers do not show up. While the airline sells below what the patterns predict, she said there are times when customers must be moved to another flight due to an over-sale.

“Typically, we are able to find volunteers to take a later flight and if not, we will base our decision on other factors, such as families travelling together, whether the customer has onward connections or if they are checked-in and have an assigned seat,” she said.

6 hours ago, seeker said:

The people who calculate the oversell factor are extremely good at what they do.

At the time that I experienced the HKG flight that I mentioned above I was trying to verify the accuracy of the forecasting tool.  The controller for that flight looked at what I found and responded "No problem" and she was right. 

Another interesting topic with lots of discussion 

If it's not obvious to fellow members that the CBC has a hate on for AC then you're not reading, watching, or listening to the CBC. 

Seems several "OMG" stories over the last couple of weeks. 

Capacity planning software at big airlines is a real science that is seldom off the mark in it's assessment of the no show factor and seat spoilage. There will always be passengers that change their plans or cancel them outright, the pay much more for that service. As for cancellation insurance as an alternative, it does not cover such things as, "I think I'll cancel that meeting in city X because I have a new commitment elsewhere". 

IMO, even if there was a big flashing message on the screen when people purchased the tickets that said THIS FARE DOES ALLOW FOR SEAT SELECTION PRIOR 24 HOURS BEFORE DEPARTURE. YOU MAY BE DENIED BOARDING. Some people would still buy that ticket then scream and kick later as well as call the good old CBC. 

I hate to defend AC but for those who think that CBC is only picking on AC, you never, never let an animal out of it's enclosure unless it is in a secure area. I remember well when a Warehouse man (station Attendant) thought it would be alright to let a bear cub out of it's cage, of course the cub climbed the tallest thing in sight which happened to be the attendant, it was done however in a secure area so all was well in the end (except some band-aids for the attendant). Seems to me further training is required. I hope all ends well for "Cooper"

Search underway in Hamilton for dog put on wrong WestJet flight

'My legs are aching and wet, and I'm starting to feel hopeless,' dog's owner, in Hamilton to search

By Kelly Bennett, CBC NewsPosted: Apr 20, 2017 6:05 PM ET Last Updated: Apr 20, 2017 7:10 PM ET

A photo of the lost dog, Cooper, has been circulating on Facebook and Twitter on Thursday.

A photo of the lost dog, Cooper, has been circulating on Facebook and Twitter on Thursday. (Tanya Simon/Facebook)

A search is underway in Hamilton for a labradoodle named Cooper, who was put on a WestJet plane to Hamilton instead of Newfoundland by mistake.

The dog's owners flew into the city and have been searching desperately Thursday for it, while the city is in the middle of a massive rain and thunderstorm. 

"My legs are aching and wet, and I'm starting to feel hopeless," said Terri Pittman, who lives in Halifax but is in Hamilton to search Thursday. 

Pittman put her dog on a flight from Halifax to Deer Lake, N.L., on Wednesday. Her parents were supposed to pick him up to take care of him while Pittman and her roommate are planning to fly to Jamaica in a few days to go to a wedding.

But instead the dog was put on a flight to Hamilton.

WestJet called to tell her that Cooper had arrived about midnight on Wednesday. "I got a call saying they'd put my dog on the wrong flight to a totally different province," she said.  When airline staff let the dog out to pee, it escaped its collar. 

Pittman flew to Hamilton herself Thursday morning and has been searching ever since. She said more than 100 people have been searching Thursday on Airport Road and nearby. 

WestJet covered the flights and hotels and meals for Pittman and her roommate to fly to Hamilton for the search.

"The safety and care of pets, whether they are travelling as cargo or as carry-on, is always a top priority for WestJet and we sincerely apologize to the pet's owner for what has occurred," said Lauren Stewart, a spokeswoman for WestJet.

Stewart said the airline has engaged its staff in the ground search and put up posters. 

"We will continue to work with the owner during this difficult time," Stewart said.

Hamilton airport said it is helping WestJet. The Hamilton airport security line is open for anyone who has seen the dog: 905.679.4908.

i did "Warm Truck" operations for a while (decades ago) we used to walk the dogs land side to let them get some exercise and relieve themselves.  It also helped them relax.

Cooper has been found.

Dog found in Ontario after it was placed on wrong WestJet flight

Cooper the dog

Cooper the dog was found on April 21, 2017. (CTV News)

facebook-icon.png  
  twitter-icon.png  
  google-icon.png  
  reddit-icon.png  
  share-icon.png  
  print-icon.png  
  email-icon.png  

The Canadian Press
Published Friday, April 21, 2017 8:45AM EDT
Last Updated Friday, April 21, 2017 9:59AM EDT

HAMILTON -- An east coast dog that went missing in Ontario for nearly two days after being placed on a wrong flight has been found.

A Labradoodle named Cooper was supposed to be flown on a WestJet flight from Halifax to Deer Lake, N.L., on Wednesday to stay with family members while the dog's owners headed to Jamaica for a wedding.

missing dog Cooper

An image of missing dog Cooper. (Facebook/ Tanya Simon)

But the dog was somehow placed on a flight to Hamilton instead and broke away at the airport when an employee took it outside for a bathroom break.

WestJet flew Cooper's owners to Hamilton on Thursday where they began searching with the airline and local lost pet search groups.

Hans Ashton says he was out all night with his cousin, Terri Pittman, one of Cooper's owners, when they heard from other searchers who had found the dog in a fenced in area near a trap set up with treats.

Ashton says the dog is cold and likely hungry, but seems to be in good spirits and is off to a veterinarian for a check up.

WestJet has apologized for the mishap.

Archived