Six Turning Four Burning

Johnboy

Thanks to Eric Dumigan for turning me on to this little gem.  That's Jimmy Stewart at the engineers position and I'm pretty sure that's Harry Morgan (M*A*S*H) all filmed in beautiful 70MM. Great example of technology trying to keep up military requirements.

Convair 580....Canadian Military.....Cosmopolitan (CC109)

Flew it for 3 years at 412 (T) Squadron at Ottawa and then went south west to Colorado Springs and flew the super VIP model, Smoky 02, with NORAD for 3 years.

My neighbor was Richard Broom, a well known American aviation artist. He painted, (about 3 feet by 2 feet) his first Canadian Military aircraft and it was Smoky 02 landing at Colorado Springs. He painted it so that if one puts a black light over it, the scene becomes night time. He also hid my first name in the grass alongside the runway....(very very difficult to find and  see) so that if it was ever stolen I could prove it was mine, Had a big "showing" at our place when it was completed.

Back then my cost was $750.00 USD....The value of the painting now is in excess of $25,000.00.

He also did me in a Harvard (about 18 inches by 24 inches),, entitled " Lesson Plan 11 - Solo aerobatics"...That was a "free-bee"^_^

Gonna donate the Smoky 02 painting to the Air Force Museum here in Trenton.

Link to the artist;

http://airportjournals.com/dreams-of-flight-aviation-artist-rick-broome/

1 hour ago, Kip Powick said:

Flew it for 3 years at 412 (T) Squadron at Ottawa and then went south west to Colorado Springs and flew the super VIP model, Smoky 02, with NORAD for 3 years.

My neighbor was Richard Broom, a well known American aviation artist. He painted, (about 3 feet by 2 feet) his first Canadian Military aircraft and it was Smoky 02 landing at Colorado Springs. He painted it so that if one puts a black light over it, the scene becomes night time. He also hid my first name in the grass alongside the runway....(very very difficult to find and  see) so that if it was ever stolen I could prove it was mine, Had a big "showing" at our place when it was completed.

Back then my cost was $750.00 USD....The value of the painting now is in excess of $25,000.00.

He also did me in a Harvard (about 18 inches by 24 inches),, entitled " Lesson Plan 11 - Solo aerobatics"...That was a "free-bee"^_^

Link to the artist;

Very cool indeed! Any chance you could show us a pic of Smoky 02? I've got a bit of Convair 580 time myself.

2 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

Link to the artist;

Outstanding Kip great memory.  My memory of the CV550/440 was living in the east end of Windsor On, multitudes of then flying into DET (Detroit City) airport very distinctive sound and approach angle loaded with auto parts and who knows what else.

Wright Airlines CV 600-II.jpg

1 hour ago, Maverick said:

Very cool indeed! Any chance you could show us a pic of Smoky 02? I've got a bit of Convair 580 time myself.

Sure, when I get away from the boat yard for a few hours I'll do up a photo...I don't have a black light anymore but I will see if I can find one.

RR Darts are whistlers.

Wright operated over short range city pairs such as DET - CLE. There's a well known now retired Canadian aviator from the Windsor area that flew for Wright back in the day.

There were several turboprop engine options used to upgrade the original piston powered CV240, including Napier Elands, Allison 501s and the Darts, but I'm not sure it was the engines that made the distinct whistle as much as the airframe. The Allison powered 580s certainly have it.

I flew the longer Allison 501D powered 580. The 'square' tips on that beast turned fuel into an unbelievably loud noise that drown out pretty much every other sound until power was substantially reduced. At that time there was a noticeable, but pleasant whistle of sorts that could be heard 'inside' the aircraft being emitted by the turbines. As you know, this whine is 'quite' noticeable to the outside observer, which isn't surprising considering the core of the powerplant is a turbojet engine. When heard from below on approach the shorter Dart powered Convair's noise footprint was different from the Allison's, but common with any other type that used that engine. I don't know that I've ever seen, or heard a Napier Eland powered model.  

I worked with guy whose 580 tangled with a runaway Wardair baggage cart near the old YYZ T2. I guess they didn't see it coming and those big blades hacked away while the airplane bounced on the ground. He said the best part was the investigation hearing which included the replay of the CVR and all that was said about various management staff prior to the ramp collision. 

Archived