Well that's kind of a drag

Lakelad

Video shows security dragging United Airlines passenger off ‘overbooked’ flight

United said four passengers were chosen at random to leave the overbooked flight. Representatives requested enforcement when one refused to leave.

Mon., April 10, 2017 - Toronto Star

CHICAGO—Video shows three security officials dragging a passenger from a United Airlines flight at a Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport.

The (Louisville) Courier-Journal reports a United representative confirmed Sunday night that a person was removed from Flight 3411 to Louisville, Kentucky, saying it was “overbooked.”

Passenger Audra D. Bridges posted the video on Facebook. It shows the guards grabbing then dragging the passenger down the aisle. Screaming is heard and other passengers say “Oh my God” and “Look at what you did to him.”

United said airline representatives chose four passengers at random when no volunteers agreed to leave the overbooked flight. They requested law enforcement assistance when one of them refused to leave.

Bridges says United asked for four passengers to relinquish their seats for airline employees on stand-by.

ed. info on other sites indicate it was to accommodate a deadhead crew for an early AM flt ex Louisville Mon morning.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My son was on a flight awhile ago in the US. Can't remember the airline but it was an E-170 I think. So one of the major's regionals.  

Sitting in his confirmed assigned seat, a dead heading pilot walked up and told him  he was in "his seat". My son replied "I don't think so". The exchange went on for a minute or so and the pilot finally gave up. Later my son saw him take a seat in first. 

If UAL needs seats for employees than they'd better block them off to avoid these  kinds of headlines. And find a better way to handle an overbooked plane. 

Hey United, here's an idea. If you've got that many crew who all need to get to Louisville, then charter a Learjet to take them there instead of punishing your paying customers for YOUR problems.

2 hours ago, blues deville said:

My son was on a flight awhile ago in the US. Can't remember the airline but it was an E-170 I think. So one of the major's regionals.  

Sitting in his confirmed assigned seat, a dead heading pilot walked up and told him  he was in "his seat". My son replied "I don't think so". The exchange went on for a minute or so and the pilot finally gave up. Later my son saw him take a seat in first. 

If UAL needs seats for employees than they'd better block them off to avoid these  kinds of headlines. And find a better way to handle an overbooked plane. 

And if he had given up his seat he might have got the first class seat.

The thing that strikes me about this is there was probably no way the archetypal "reasonable person" would believe the next escalation in this disagreement was going to be a concussion. The fact that the Chicago Port Police or whatever they call themselves don't appear to present themselves with much "colour of authority" probably did little to give legitimacy to their demands. They look like the security at a music festival.

I've watched different videos of this incident. It appears the airport police were the ones who took action against this passenger. My question is, where were the United flight and cabin crew with the situation becoming extreme? 

26 minutes ago, Fido said:

I am (not) surprised that people are so ready to jump onto a band-wagon based upon a few seconds of amateur video that has been professionally edited to conform to a story.

I think this "story" is unfortunately quite real.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/10/travel/passenger-removed-united-flight-trnd/index.html

I'm not sure what other narrative there is to be found here other than a spectacularly botched IDB and the usual story of oblivious law enforcement, who in this case didn't really look like law enforcement, engaging everyone they come in contact with as though they're a 24 year-old bodybuilder on bath salts.

Archived