YYZ 5/23 Closed Until May

Lakelad

Hopefully they do it right.  I'm no "tarmac" expert (yes, I just said that), but the repairs made to YYZ taxiways over the past few years have been pathetic, both in the amount of time spent working on them, and quality of work.  Anyone been down Bravo between S and B1 lately?  It's horrible. 

23 minutes ago, blues deville said:

A short disruption. From the video they appear to be working hard to meet the completion date. It will be nice to have 05/23 in the same perfect shape as 06L/24R. :)

Yeah, sure, runway re-surfacing is nice but coupla points;  this is only phase 1, the runway will be closed and re-surfaced in sections all summer long.  Last closure scheduled til end of November.  Also, the last time runway 23 was re-surfaced it was made worse than before!  The ski-jumps at the intersections of 15R and 15L were bigger!

2 minutes ago, Canoehead said:

Hopefully they do it right.  I'm no "tarmac" expert (yes, I just said that), but the repairs made to YYZ taxiways over the past few years have been pathetic, both in the amount of time spent working on them, and quality of work.  Anyone been down Bravo between S and B1 lately?  It's horrible. 

Yup.  The last time H taxiway west of 15R was done it was brutal.  I have no idea why an open taxiway completely surrounded by open space can't be smooth.  You really can't taxi faster than about 10 knots because it's so rough.

50 minutes ago, seeker said:

Yeah, sure, runway re-surfacing is nice but coupla points;  this is only phase 1, the runway will be closed and re-surfaced in sections all summer long.  Last closure scheduled til end of November.  Also, the last time runway 23 was re-surfaced it was made worse than before!  The ski-jumps at the intersections of 15R and 15L were bigger!

Hey Seeker. Why the "Debbie Downer"? I don't know why the 15/33's get the crown either creating the two bumps but the touchdown zone of 23 has been in need of a re-surface for a long time. 

keep in mind that this is not "resurfacing"  They are tearing up the concrete down to the gravel.  This is a replacement of the touchdown zone.  The next phase will take place in October

1 hour ago, blues deville said:

Hey Seeker. Why the "Debbie Downer"? I don't know why the 15/33's get the crown either creating the two bumps but the touchdown zone of 23 has been in need of a re-surface for a long time. 

I was just correcting your statement that it's a "short disruption."  Obviously I understand that re-surfacing is required from time to time.  Also wanted to dissuade you from your misconception that this will inevitably result in a "perfect" runway - no guarantee of that based on past performance.

3 hours ago, seeker said:

I was just correcting your statement that it's a "short disruption."  Obviously I understand that re-surfacing is required from time to time.  Also wanted to dissuade you from your misconception that this will inevitably result in a "perfect" runway - no guarantee of that based on past performance.

I don't know. Still lots of negativity. 06L/24R & 15R/33L turned out okay. :)

• 1 month later...

Runway construction complete

Toronto Pearson returns to regular operation

May 16, 2017

TORONTO, CANADA - On Tuesday, May 16, construction on Runway 05/23 at Toronto Pearson International Airport was completed and the first aircraft to use the rehabilitated surface landed. The runway work, which began on March 28, was a critical infrastructure project, required for the safe operation of the airport today and in the future.

"Our busiest runway is once again operational, and I would like to thank the community, our passengers and our valued airline partners for their patience and cooperation during this work," said Howard Eng, President and CEO of the Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA). "Toronto Pearson is proud to be a part of the communities it serves. We are committed to continuous improvement in all aspects of our operation, including the way we engage with our business partners and residents on projects of this nature."

The completed work on Runway 05/23 included removing the existing paved surface, subsurface repair and re-paving, as well as reconditioning of 1000 inset runway lights and the replacement of 420 kilometres of single-line paint markings. The around-the-clock work on this project means the runway is being delivered back to service on time, and in advance of peak summer travel. To further reduce construction impacts, planned construction on Runway 05/23 in the fall at Toronto Pearson has been completed and the fall closure period is no longer required.

2 hours ago, Lakelad said:

To further reduce construction impacts, planned construction on Runway 05/23 in the fall at Toronto Pearson has been completed and the fall closure period is no longer required.

Now THAT is some good news.  What a mess the past 2 months have been.

Archived