AirCanada COO Resigns

Air Canada chief operating officer resigns

• 04 April, 2017
  • SOURCE: Flightglobal Pro
  • BY: David Kaminski-Morrow

Air Canada's chief operating officer, Klaus Goersch, is to step down from the carrier at the end of this month.

The airline has yet to identify a successor.

Air Canada has not given a specific reason for Goersch's resignation. In a brief statement confirming his departure, it says he will leave his position on 30 April.

Goersch was appointed to his position as executive vice-president and chief operating officer in October 2012.

He was responsible for oversight of flight operations, maintenance, and various other areas at the Canadian carrier.

Goersch was a former commercial pilot and, prior to joining Air Canada, was a senior operations executive with Air Tran Airways.

13 minutes ago, Zan Vetter said:

Coulda had the Neo, if not for him. Now he's gone. Huh

How so. He didn't speak Airbus?

Is this anyway connected to the upcoming release of the YHZ accident report?

25 minutes ago, Zan Vetter said:

Story was that they had selected the neo after intense scrutiny and to the surprise of everyone not in the inner, innermost room, ended up ordering the MAX. That's all I know.

I understood that Boeing was able to poach the order from Airbus at the last minute by agreeing to relieve us of most of the 190s as part of the deal.

Airbus refused to take any 190's. By taking 20 190's (and assigning a value to those aircraft) - Boeing made a stronger financial offer. Not sure how AC calculated the cost of adding a new fleet type vs renewing an existing fleet type. There may even be a piece that we do not see such as favourable pricing on incremental (and thus far unannounced) 787's.

As for which plane was a superior performer, I believe that the success of the NEO platform and the 321NEO in particular speaks volumes. It is still possible that the NB Airbus will see a continuing and expanding role in the Rouge operation.

I'm surprised at the lack of information and speculation as to the real reason for the departure of Goersch.  What's the untold story?  And who is going to replace him?  Is this the beginning of a further senior management shakeup?

I remember when he first joined AC he spoke at an Employee Meeting.  He wanted to stop the requirement for the Service Director checking boarding passes at the door of the Aircraft.  It backed up boarding and was hurting OTP, not to mention the gate agent had just scanned the BP five seconds previous.

That major change took three months to implement, the look on his face was priceless.  Some things haven't changed since 1989, change moves at a glacial pace.

The COO commanding such a simple move at 8am, should have been in place by 08:05 (and that's the same day.)  Of course CUPE had to get in the way, but that is another story.

I suspect he had Bens' foot print on the top of his head and his career aspirations had been side lined.

3 hours ago, Johnny said:

I remember when he first joined AC he spoke at an Employee Meeting.  He wanted to stop the requirement for the Service Director checking boarding passes at the door of the Aircraft.  It backed up boarding and was hurting OTP, not to mention the gate agent had just scanned the BP five seconds previous.

That major change took three months to implement, the look on his face was priceless.  Some things haven't changed since 1989, change moves at a glacial pace.

The COO commanding such a simple move at 8am, should have been in place by 08:05 (and that's the same day.)  Of course CUPE had to get in the way, but that is another story.

I suspect he had Bens' foot print on the top of his head and his career aspirations had been side lined.

The same change directed by the EVP of Operations took about the same amount of time to implement at WestJet.  If it was simply about the will of the employees to embrace and implement the change, it could have been executed the same day without issue, but there were plenty of other steps required along the way which needed to be done.  I can't remember all of the hoops that were jumped through, but I seem to recall that there needed to be changes to the flight attendant manual that had to be reviewed with Transport Canada which took a long time to get sorted out.

• 1 month later...

Archived