Runway excursion, aircraft in flames, all safe

Darn lucky:

March 29 2017 - 11:39AM

Peruvian Airlines jet bursts into flames after veering off runway in Peru

A Boeing jet operated by Peruvian Airlines caught fire on Tuesday while landing at an airport near the Andean town of Jauja in central Peru after it swerved on the runway, but there were no serious injuries, a government minister said.

Peruvian Airlines said in a statement that the Boeing 737-300 jet drove off the runway for unspecified reasons during the scheduled landing, after swerving to the right. It said that all 141 people on board the flight, which originated in Lima, were evacuated safely.

Jet on fire as passengers flee

A Peruvian Airlines Boeing 737-300 jet caught fire while landing in central Peru.

Authorities are investigating the incident, which occurred about 4.30pm local time, involving the Boeing 737-300 jet at the high-altitude airport in an agricultural valley some 265 kilometres from Lima, the capital.

The fire likely started when the wing scraped the runway, Interior Minister Carlos Basombrio said.

Related Content

"The plane couldn't stop on the runway and they made a manoeuvre to stop it with the wing and that appears to have caused the fire," Basombrio told reporters on local broadcaster RPP.

Television images showed a large cloud of black smoke streaming from an airliner in flames.

Boeing said it was aware of the reports of the incident and was gathering information.

The Peruvian Airlines Boeing 737 jet with 141 passengers on board veered off the runway. The Peruvian Airlines Boeing 737 jet with 141 passengers on board veered off the runway. Photo: Noticias / YouTube

Story Link and Video: http://www.smh.com.au/world/peruvian-airlines-jet-bursts-into-flames-after-veering-off-runway-in-peru-20170329-gv8s2g.html

2 minutes ago, Fido said:
  11 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

"The plane couldn't stop on the runway and they made a manoeuvre to stop it with the wing

Really?

Or so it was reported

and that appears to have caused the fire," Basombrio told reporters on local broadcaster RPP.

.:D

1 hour ago, conehead said:

Hey, I've done that! :)

I did it too,...Honda 250........ loose gravel on a corner,............ended up  heading for some school kids.........dumped it.................it was the day after a buddy came back from Japan with my brand new Seiko Pilot Watch which I was wearing...(that watch was not available, at that time, in Canada)

All the kids ran over and asked if I was OK and I held my arm up and breathlessly said "No damage, it's still running!"

Ya gotta have priorities;)

Back to the topic: here is an update.

Peruvian 737 crashed into fence before fire: airport

• 29 March, 2017
  • SOURCE: Flightglobal Pro
  • BY: Rainer Uphoff
  • Madrid

The Peruvian Airlines Boeing 737-300 that had veered off the runway in Jauja had crashed into a perimeter fence before catching on fire, says airport operator Corpac.

The aircraft landed at the airport at 16:28 on 28 March after a flight from Lima and veered to the right about 1,760m (5,790ft) from the start of the runway, before its right wing crashed into the perimeter fence, setting off a fire that engulfed the jet.

Corpac says the airport, which has only one runway, will remain closed until Peruvian authorities authorise the removal of the aircraft.

All 141 passengers and crew members evacuated the aircraft safely. While Peruvian has said no one was injured, local media reports say 29 people were taken to hospital with minor injuries.

Eyewitnesses say the aircraft experienced problems with its right landing gear, but it is not immediately clear what caused the runway excursion.

The airline’s maintenance and safety procedures have come under scrutiny following the latest accident. Its aircraft was involved in two other landing gear-related runways excursions in 2015 and 2016, both at Cusco.

Peruvian inaugurated service between Lima and Jauja less than two weeks ago. Previously, only LC Peru operated flights on the route.

Jauja airport serves the Huancayo metropolitan area, located 275km (171 miles) east of Lima. Air transportation is gaining popularity in Peru’s agricultural heartland, as the only other way to travel to Lima is on roads that cross a 4,818m high mountain pass.

Recent floods in Peru have also caused severe road damage, making air transport the only reliable means of transportation in parts of the country.

We don't know the sequence of events, but she certainly doesn't appear to be sitting on landing gear while she burns.. now, we don't know if the gear collapsed during the excursion event, or prior.

1 hour ago, conehead said:

We don't know the sequence of events, but she certainly doesn't appear to be sitting on landing gear while she burns.. now, we don't know if the gear collapsed during the excursion event, or prior.

If it was ever down to begin with...^_^

Archived