Flying Down The Hi-way ? OT

Kip Powick

I pride myself in being fairly conversant with cars and how engines and how all the accessories work but today I  found something out that  I have never even heard of.

Perhaps you already know this piece of trvia but for the sake of anyone does not know.....here is the scoop.....with a little story..

The other day we drove home store with my wife's car unloaded and went in the house…She did think there was a funny electrical type smell, just for a moment, as we drove home…I did not smell anything.

Later that day I wanted to go out with the car  and when I started it the ABS light along with the Stability Control light did not go out. Shut it down and got out the manual and then checked all the fuses…..Couldn’t find anything “blown”. Phone the garage and they said to bring it in…OK….. went out and started it but still had those lights on AND no rear brake lights (according to the Admiral).

The next thing was that the gear shift, (floor shift automatic), would not go out of PARK…it was stuck…phoned the garage….and …….I did not know there was a little cap about the size of a dime, with no markings on it, beside the gear shift that I could pry off with a screw driver and in the small hole there was a push button  that I could hold down and get the car in gear and drive it !!!

An example in the .jpg. Her cap was round with a slot in it so that a screw driver could pop it off.

ScreenShot002.jpg.bad13b80e3b8cd57de3e38e33cbdf451.jpg

Longs story short the electric brake switch attached to the brake pedal was blown/toast…… It was repaired this morning and I drove home. Went out to use the car…same thing with all the same symptoms ….pushed the button, got into gear and back to the garage….fixed in about 3 minutes. The mechanic who put the new switch in did not push the two halves together until it clicked so it came loose and once again we had the electrical lights on and could not shift into Drive/Reverse..

So…not sure about your cars or whether you knew it or not but there should be an override hole somewhere near the shift lever  that will allow you to put the vehicle in gear and drive away……………………. if that electronic brake switch up near the brake pedal fails.

17 minutes ago, boestar said:

<Sarcasm> There is a book in the glove compartment.  I believe they call it the OWNERS MANUAL.  Quite a good read. </Sarcasm>

Unfortunately I figured that would come up:lol:  ....eventually:white: ....... but if I tweaked one reader...my work is done here.

Yes, I found that on page 328 later in the day....... but really........how many drivers read the entire manual...of a used, simple car, that does not contain any of the hi tech gadgetry in today's  ultra modern cars?  :rolleyes:

PS...went out and looked in my car as well...and read that manual last night

Many years ago I had a Sentra that I needed to move with a dead battery.  It took some time to figure out how to get the shift lever into neutral (found it in the manual).  Thanks for posting this Kip.  I have come to realize that virtually every device, component, tool or service I have, own or use has some feature or operating procedure that I'm not aware of.  Now, before I undertake almost anything, I do a quick search on youtube.  Sure, reading the manual is good advice but the time and energy to read, remember and recall some seldom used procedure is often wasted.  Searching "how to release shift lever" on youtube will give you the answer far faster than you can put your shoes on, let alone grabbing your keys, going to the car, digging out the manual from the glove box, etc, etc. The same goes for; tiling the shower stall, replacing the drain in your bathtub, sharpening a lawn mower blade, etc, etc.  Even stuff I think I know how to do or have been doing for years!  Surprisingly, you can often find a better or more efficient way of doing something - the information is out there!

The same goes for actually reading the manuals.  I can download the manual online faster than you could find the manual in the box or drawer where you left it.  Try it.  Just search -

LG BP125 Blu-ray manual

2016 Subaru wrx owners manual

Honda HR215 lawn mower manual

Works for almost any owners manual but not for anything considered to be a "service" manual such as outboard and small engine maintenance and repair manuals.

16 minutes ago, mo32a said:

My trusty little Swiss Army knife has a nail file, don't leave home without it.

Unless you're on your way to the airport.....then you should leave home without it (unless you want to donate it at the CATSA collection facility).

I always carried one in the good old days.

One day I was heading to the Sim in my

civies with another one trying to go thru

security when they caught me. I told the

lady It was a gift  and I didn't want to lose

it. She sent me upstairs to some store

where they keep it for you. Several days

later and $1.07 I had my knife back. I don't

know if this is still an option.

Archived