AC YUL-PVG emergency landing

moeman

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/flight-leaving-montreal-forced-to-make-emergency-landing

Flight AC017 Montreal-Shanghai had just departed at 1:31 p.m. when a warning light forced pilots to turn off one of two engines on the plane, a Boeing 787-Dreamliner, and turn back toward the airport while alerting emergency services. The crew dumped fuel on its way back to lighten the weight of the aircraft.

The plane landed safely, Air Canada spokesperson Isabelle Arthur said, and technicians are investigating the cause of the problem. Passengers were being rerouted to their destinations, she said.

Yes but who really enjoys having to "turn off an engine". Next safe thing would be to put it in park and wait for CAA to arrive. 

A highschool friend of mine is the Gazette's sports editor. I'll have to send him a note. ;)

15 minutes ago, rudder said:

That is what it looks and sounds like when two well trained and highly competent professionals take an abnormal situation and make it look routine.

Well done.

I think what you meant .......

That is what it looks and sounds like when any of our well trained and highly competent Air Canada pilots take an abnormal situation and make it look routine. ;)

7 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

I think what you meant .......

That is what it looks and sounds like when any of our well trained and highly competent Air Canada pilots take an abnormal situation and make it look routine. ;)

While I laud the Air Canada pilots' response, I have to take a bit of issue Kip!!! There are many well trained and highly competent non-Air Canada pilots in this here Canada!   :thumbup:

I am well aware of that fact Moon, (competent, pilots in Canada), however this incident was relative to one airline and personally I see nothing wrong with throwing the AC pilots a bouquet seeing that  oft times they are not given the credit that is due.

To suggest, be it tangentially, that  I do not admire non-Air Canada pilots who hold their own personal vocation within the flying industry, whether it be here in Canada or as ex-pats, is erroneous at best.

Perhaps you should swing over to the Av Herald and read the"full"  interview with Simon where he feels Canada has one of the best safety/incident reporting programs in the world,  ergo, we have extremely conscientious and professional pilots in the Great White North.

http://www.avherald.com/h?article=45483425

On 3/27/2017 at 0:09 AM, Kip Powick said:

I am well aware of that fact Moon, (competent, pilots in Canada), however this incident was relative to one airline and personally I see nothing wrong with throwing the AC pilots a bouquet seeing that  oft times they are not given the credit that is due.

To suggest, be it tangentially, that  I do not admire non-Air Canada pilots who hold their own personal vocation within the flying industry, whether it be here in Canada or as ex-pats, is erroneous at best.

Perhaps you should swing over to the Av Herald and read the"full"  interview with Simon where he feels Canada has one of the best safety/incident reporting programs in the world,  ergo, we have extremely conscientious and professional pilots in the Great White North.

http://www.avherald.com/h?article=45483425

No worries, my comment was 75% tongue-in-cheek hence the :thumbup:

On 2017-03-25 at 10:41 PM, moeman said:

Great video. Nice S/E landing. Non-normal well handled. 

However, I believe the VP of Maintenance at AC would like to know why a new GE engine needed to be shut down. GE is having issues around the globe with this engine series. Seems to be related to oil pump/pressure problems. 

On 2017-03-28 at 9:30 PM, conehead said:

Oh, I think it's safe to say he was aware of this incident within minutes of it happening. :)

Ha, ha. Of that I have no doubt. However if there's a GE rep in YUL they've got some explaining to do. :(

I think GE is aware of the issues on the 787/GNex and and its sister 777/GE90 series engines. As a precaution they are currently installing different oil filters or pumps on each engine, left and right. 

Archived