MITO

deicer

Very cool video deicer. Love the camera angles and sound. Thanks for posting it. 

Biggest model airplane I ever built as a kid was the B52. It took awhile to assemble and I remember it was an expensive Xmas present (($25) at the time from my parents. A Revell kit and the the detailing was exceptional. I chose to do in SAC colours with the dull silver body with flat white belly. Flaps all worked too with gear down and locked but they all rolled. Too big a model for my display shelf (bad planning, introducing a new plane to the fleet without proper storage facilities) so decided to hang it from the ceiling. Should have studied more about ceiling joists and stucco. It came crashing down one winter night breaking into more pieces then it came with in the box. Sad memory but it was fun to build and kept me out of trouble. 

IMG_5160.PNG

Here's a neat photo of 2 Voodoos and a "Buf" up close and personal. We often worked with the B52 Sqn based at Loring AFB in Maine, right on the Maine/New Brunswick border. I'll never forget the "1st Annual FCUK Communism" fly-in/Mess Dinner those guys hosted for us. What a party! And clearly at a time in history before political correctness sucked away and displaced all traces of esprit de corps out of our military. Two free AttaBoys! to the first person who can recall what "Buf" stands for ...

58d6cde30394d_VoodooB52formation.thumb.jpg.17271dd6e03d9d1eb447e3cd6c5080e2.jpg

I never owned a camera until I was given one for my birthday during pilot training in the RCAF. This is was one of my first  photos taken at RCAF station Penhold while going through Harvard training.. I was going "up" for an  instrument flying lesson plan so was in the back seat and when the instructor took off I leaned out of the cockpit and shot this photo with my brand new  35mm Yashica.....

00015_s_13akrvrvqx0409.thumb.jpg.fee3b0c961abd53bf25a251fef8bc416.jpg

4 minutes ago, Rich Pulman said:

The B-52 was known as BUFF.

Correct. 

"The B-52's official name Stratofortress is rarely used; informally, the aircraft has become commonly referred to as the BUFF (Big Ugly Fat F......). The B-52has been in active service with the USAF since 1955. As of December 2015 , 58 were in active service with 18 in reserve".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_B-52_Stratofortress

36 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

FYI.

I'm not returning mine.........I already printed it out and she went to Walmart to get a frame <_<

I think to be fair in 2017 and all that perhaps we should all get one. Everyone's a winner. :)

46 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

FYI.

I'm not returning mine.........I already printed it out and she went to Walmart to get a frame <_<

Kip, you of all people know that we have to live by the rules: see the note at the bottom of your certificate! :018:

9 minutes ago, blues deville said:

I think to be fair in 2017 and all that perhaps we should all get one. Everyone's a winner. :)

I don't agree with you blues ... are you suggesting that this esteemed certificate be devalued much like in a kid's race where everyone gets a ribbon instead of a 1st place, 2nd & 3rd, or, no grades on a Report Card to avoid damage to self-esteem ...? :unsure:

58d701a2b3619_AwShit.jpg.1e81204dc26b24976e37b659b34bcffe.jpg

10 minutes ago, av8tor said:

Kip, you of all people know that we have to live by the rules: see the note at the bottom of your certificate! :018:

I don't agree with you blues ... are you suggesting that this esteemed certificate be devalued much like in a kid's race where everyone gets a ribbon instead of a 1st place, 2nd & 3rd, or, no grades on a Report Card to avoid damage to self-esteem ...? :unsure:

58d701a2b3619_AwShit.jpg.1e81204dc26b24976e37b659b34bcffe.jpg

Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying! Everyone is a winner. Avery, Tyler, Olivia. All of us. Just throwing out some of the names of kids in deluxe's jk classes (and just kidding). 

I think you're right. Kip has to give it back. Frame and all. :)

3 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

And then there is this infamous B52 fly-by..

And also an equally disastrous C-17 demonstration at Elmendorf AFB, Alaska in 2010 ...

58d706af6a9f1_C117Elmendorf.png.71d1764a84e7c797f1056776e72d79b1.png

58d706cb508db_C117ElmendorfAFB.png.938a0770cf8d4a735771d2fff421ab60.png

Very sad and so avoidable ... 

2 hours ago, blues deville said:

Kip, you of all people know that we have to live by the rules: see the note at the bottom of your certificate!

2 hours ago, blues deville said:

I think you're right. Kip has to give it back. Frame and all

Wait----wait....why do I have to give it back ?? The "guy" who presented it is the guy who should get an "aw sh---" because he gave a wrong question and accepted a wrong answer and the bottom line says he has to start over.....there is nothing about giving one back... besides that I nailed it up and if I have to remove it there will be holes in the wall and I will face the wrath of her and I much rather face your wraths. (is there such a word?)..

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

OK... I did read the entire investigation of the B52 prang and as already alluded to, the guy flying it should not have even been allowed to pilot a B52 or probably any other aircraft for that matter....

Most heavy aircraft can be flown outside their "recommended" flight envelope but only by judicious use of controls and careful speed and "G" considerations. The Military C130 was recommended not to exceed 60 degrees of bank in any maneuver and most "Newbees" were rather apprehensive about flying near "the edge".

During their in-flight training I would take a couple of fellows up to 8000 feet and did figure 8 chandelles with bank in the turns at 100-120 degrees and demonstrated that with gentle inputs of control and judicious speed control the aircraft was easily capable of such a maneuver.

Now the C17...watch the video (from a different angle) and watch the control surfaces, notably the rudder, and even the 'ailerons'. This guy is grossly over controlling and it wouldn't surprise me if the investigation found, among other things, that the flight controls were used to their extremes. (This is commonly called "cowboy" flying.)

Watch the control surfaces in this video

Archived