Aircraft Loses Complete Propeller Assembly

Darn lucky that it did not cause any damage to the aircraft when it detached.

PICTURE: Rex Saab 340 lands safely after losing propeller

• 17 March, 2017
  • SOURCE: Flightglobal Pro
  • BY: Ellis Taylor
  • Perth

A Regional Express Saab 340B has landed safely at Sydney airport after its right-hand propeller came off whilst operating a flight from Albury.

Pictures on social media show the aircraft, registered VH-NRX, on the ground at Sydney on 17 March, missing the whole propeller assembly on its right-hand General Electric CT7 turboprop engine.

Asset Image

Reports indicate that the aircraft was around 10nm from Sydney when the propeller sheared off, forcing the crew to declare a 'pan' before landing at Sydney.

Rex confirms that "an event associated with the aircraft's right propeller assembly" occurred during the flight, and the crew "followed standard operating procedures and the aircraft landed normally and on-time at Sydney airport."

The operators also confims that there were 16 passengers on board and three crew members who were met by ground staff upon arrival but did not require further assistance.

Rex is continuing to investigate the incident, and has notified the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) and the Civil Aviation Safety Authority of the occurrence.

The ATSB says in its own statement that it is "deploying a team of three investigators with expertise in materials failure engineering, recorded flight data analysis, and human factors."

It has also called on members of the public in the Sydney area to contact it or police if they find any suspected debris from the aircraft.

Flight Fleets Analyzer shows that the aircraft was built in 1992, and has been operated by Rex since 2004. It was purchased off-lease by the carrier in 2008.

26 minutes ago, boestar said:

not the first time for this type.

Your comment prompted a search for data re prop loss. I found this site but lots of engine shutdowns etc. but could not find any re prop loss, mind you the data only goes back to 2012. Can you help out in this regard? Cheers Malcolm

https://www.aeroinside.com/incidents/type/sf34/saab-340

Here is a closer look at the Starboard Engine: saab.jpg.eaacfadd812adec0f700258962d83325.jpg

And here is a closeup view of a SAAB powerplant:

There is a history to this failure type.  Early in the SF340 deliveries there were a number of these reported, I believe it was traced back to a material failure, due to a casting fault affecting a serial number range of the engines.  Dealt with long ago.  This may or may not be related, but the presentation looks to be the same.

Vs

Memory is sometimes messed up, but I recall the NWT Electra first lost the # 1 prop and gear box, which cleaved the prop on # 2 as they departed the aircraft. Prop number two then 'walked' its way over the top of the fuselage and clipped the outboard edge of the starboard horizontal stab before falling into the forest below.

Regardless, the Electra was a beautiful aircraft.

58cdb93f0f5b4_saab340.jpg.3cda93ea4b9576f1e30cb375d72893a4.jpg

I understand that "a prop brake" was an optional feature that was intended to allow the engine to be used as an APU and it sometimes didn't work as designed.

www.smartcockpit.com/docs/Saab_340B-Powerplant.pdf

Thanks Malcom.  I understand that the prop brake was possibly a contributing factor to a similar incident of an Inter Canadien ATR-42 back in the 90's.  Although I'm not sure it was a complete prop assembly loss.  Surely someone here is familiar with that incident.

Archived