US Pilot Shortage Controversy Heats Up

Undoubtedly this will spill over the border.  

Controversy over US pilot shortage heats up

• 08 March, 2017
  • SOURCE: Flightglobal Pro
  • BY: Jon Hemmerdinger
  • Boston

A pilot shortage faced by US regional carriers has in recent weeks proven to have broader fallout, with a top US Air Force general supporting possible changes to pilot qualification rules and with two pilots unions dragging airlines into court.

Now, efforts may be underway to push for modifications to the controversial 2013 pilot qualification rule, which many people credit with making an existing pilot shortfall significantly worse.

On 7 March, the Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA) sent a letter urging lawmakers on the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee "to resist special interest attempts to weaken aviation safety" as they write the next the US Federal Aviation Administration spending bill.

The letter specifically called attention to the Airline Safety and Federal Aviation Administration Extension Act of 2010, which is the law that required regulators to write the 2013 pilot qualification rule.

The Regional Airline Association, a trade group that has long taken issue with the pilot qualification rule, did not respond to requests for comment from FlightGlobal.

But considering President Donald Trump's vow to cut burdensome regulations, at least one regional aviation chief executive thinks now is the time to push for broad changes to the rule.

"With the new administration… we should take a much more aggressive and different approach," Mesa Air Group chief executive Jonathan Ornstein tells FlightGlobal.

The 2010 law arose out of the 2009 crash of Colgan Air Flight 3407, a Bombardier Q400 that plummeted from the skies near Buffalo, killing 49 people on the aircraft and one person on the ground.

Investigators pinned the cause on pilot error, but cited training deficiencies and pilot fatigue as contributing factors.

The resulting law required the FAA to make broad overhauls to pilot duty time and training and qualification standards.

Among the resulting rules was the 2013 pilot qualification rule, which requires new airline pilots to have at least 1,500h of flight time and hold an airline transport pilot (ATP) certificate.

In the past, new pilots needed a commercial pilot certificate with an instrument rating – equating to 250h of flight time.

In its 7 March letter, ALPA credits the 2010 law and resulting regulatory changes with improved air safety.

"This law significantly improved training and qualification requirements for first officers – and improved the safety of our skies. It is a measure that was written in blood, and should not be weakened in any way, shape or form," says ALPA's letter.

Regional airlines, however, have long argued that the law exacerbated a pilot shortage that has primarily affected regional carriers, and has done so without improving the quality of the nation's pilots.

"The rule is ill-conceived… It is well known throughout the industry that it does nothing to enhance safety," says Mesa's Ornstein. "The ultimate result is that it will reduce or eliminate service to smaller, rural communities. Or it will cost more."

"My concern is the quality of the pilots," Silver Airways chief executive Sami Teittinen tells FlightGlobal. "We saw weakness from new-generation commercial pilots."

More than in the past, today's new hires tend to be more removed from systematic training, Teittinen says. Many are unaccustomed with airline operations and may not have the same "cockpit discipline" as previous recruits.

"1,500h doesn't provide any higher quality candidates than what we saw before. I think it’s the opposite," Teittinen says.

The RAA agrees.

"As pilots spend time building hours needed for eligibility, many lose recency of training, which is critical for pilot proficiency," says a March presentation released by the group. "High-time pilots did not perform as well in initial training as their lower-time classmates."

AIR FORCE SUPPORT

In early February the US Air Force chief of staff thrust himself into the 1,500h controversy.

"My personal sense is that it may not be required," general David Goldfein said of the 1,500h requirement, according to a report from military publication Stars and Stripes.

He suggested the 1,500h rule could be amended to help alleviate a pilot shortage that also affects the military. Many pilots join the Air Force as a means to accumulate hours, then leave the service for the commercial sector after reaching the 1,500h mark, Goldfein said.

The Air Force has already discussed with major airlines ways to alleviate the pilot shortage, and more discussions are scheduled for May, according to reports.

Alan Stolzer, dean of the college of aviation at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, agrees that flight hours are not the best measure of pilot proficiency.

"We were initially skeptical of the rule because we are not big fans of defining quality by number of hours," Stolzer tells FlightGlobal.

He adds, however, that Embry-Riddle's enrolment is actually up slightly since the rule took effect. Also, the rule has ensured more pilots stick around after graduation to work as flight instructors.

"It gave us a very predictable instructor pool," Stolzer says. "We think the rule… to some degree saved the flight training industry. Otherwise, the airlines would have… denuded the pool of instructors."

The National Transportation Safety Board had said in 2012 about the then-proposed rule: "Total flight hours or an airline transport pilot certificate does not necessarily equate to the level of knowledge, skills and professionalism required for consistently safe flight operations."

The 2013 rule came just as the US airline industry was rising from the most-recent economic recession into a period of low fuel prices, substantial expansion and record profits.

Meanwhile, many regional airlines struggled financially, and have pointed to the pilot qualification rule and the resulting pilot shortage as a contributing factor.

Republic Airways Holdings chief executive Bryan Bedford, for instance, cited the pilot shortage as among factors that led to Republic's February 2016 bankruptcy filing.

According to the RAA, the pilot shortage, exacerbated by the 2013 rule, is among factors that caused a reduction in air service at hundreds of US airports in the last three years.

Since 2013, about 50 airports have lost all passenger air service, the RAA says.

The group cites FAA figures showing that some 207,000 pilots held either ATP certificates or commercial pilot certificates in 2016, down about 3% since 2013 and 10% since 2009.

The group also cites a 2016 University of North Dakota study showing that the US aviation industry will require 18,700 new pilots by 2020 – about the same number currently employed by US regional airlines – and nearly 50,000 new pilots by 2026.

The shortage, if it continues, would require US airlines to park some 300 aircraft by 2020 and 1,400 aircraft by 2026, RAA says, adding that its members currently operate about 2,100 aircraft.

EASING THE STRAIN

In the last year, regional carriers have sought to head off the crisis by raising wages and paying increasingly more attractive signing bonuses to new pilots.

Some airlines started at $5,000 bonuses, but bonuses at some carriers now exceed $20,000. Also, in 2016, Piedmont Airlines, PSA Airlines and Envoy Air – all of which are subsidiaries of American Airlines – announced that new pilots could now earn about $60,000 in their first year.

Regional airlines have also upped tuition reimbursements, partnered with flight schools and launched programmes aimed at helping military pilots transition into the private sector.

Phoenix-based Mesa now pays new pilots up to $42,100 in bonus incentives, including up to $22,000 after completing aircraft training, $5,000 after the second and third years of employment and $10,000 after the fourth year, according to Mesa's website.

Though carriers say they need bonuses to combat a pilot shortage, the payments have recently landed two carriers in court, facing lawsuits from pilots' unions.

In January, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters and its Airline Professionals Association unit sued regional carrier Horizon Air, in an effort to force Horizon to end recently-implemented bonus programmes.

Under the programmes, Horizon, a division of Alaska Air Group, paid new-hire pilots up to $10,000 in bonuses and $10,000 in tuition expenses, according to the lawsuit.

The union says the payments violate the pilots' employment contract and the Railway Labor Act, which governs airline labour relations.

Then on 2 March news broke that ALPA filed a similar lawsuit against Mesa.

Speaking to FlightGlobal, ALPA representative Paul Ryder calls the bonuses a "short-term solution to a long-term problem" and says they mask the underlying issue of low pilot wages.

"The reason they are paying these bonuses is [because] the previous wages were not competitive," Ryder says. "The regional airlines have struggled to make an argument why someone would pursue a career as a pilot."

Ryder says airlines should properly address pilot hiring problems by instituting "pay raises across the board".

"What we feel is a sustainable approach is to take the compensation being offered on a short-term basis [and] putting it into wages," he says. "If [airlines] are really concerned about their supply of applicants, they need to make changes that withstand the test of time."

EASING THE STRAIN

The airline industry, however, still sees the 1,500h rule as the prime roadblock to a more robust pipeline of new pilots, and some efforts have been underway to advocate a regulatory change.

One opening lies in provisions within the rule that act as a "pathway" through which some categories of pilots with fewer than 1,500h are able to work at airlines.

Specifically, the FAA has authority to issue "restricted" ATPs to military pilots with 750h of time and graduates from aviation programmes with 1,000-1,250h of time.

Last year the RAA told FlightGlobal it was advocating the creation of another pathway called the "air carrier enhanced" ATP.

Under that proposed category, pilots with less than 1,500h would be eligible for an ATP if they complete a structured airline training programme.

The RAA did not respond to requests from FlightGlobal for additional comment, and it remains unclear how rule changes might be viewed by the Trump administration.Story Link: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/analysis-controversy-over-us-pilot-shortage-heats-u-434908/

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Boney said:

Also consider increasing the maximum age from 65 to 70.

Just a thought

It may be in the works. 

A friend was at a Seattle area fly-in and met a fellow 62 year old pilot who was recently offered a job at one of the regionals as a DEC with future flow thru to its major carrier. Not sure how many years would be left to carry on but this may be the situation until someone decides to "show me/us/you the money".  

No me/us/you the money no me/us/you. MBA crew take note... The window (at least for me and lots of like minded me's) is narrow. One more year and I'm no longer interested at any price. Then, you will have a for sure and certain pilot shortage with lots of available veteran pilots who can't be bothered with your nonsense. Pretty simple math eh? Take heart though, I bet you can still sell BS (MBA crew solutions) to your boss. Stick to the pilots will pay to fly for free thing. 

Try this, apply the pilot lateral move dilema to MBA lateral move dynamics and ask yourself if you would drive a dump truck instead. Stupid is as stupid does.

Airlines connects aspiring pilots with experienced mentors

Porter Airlines connects aspiring pilots with experienced mentors (CNW Group/Porter Airlines Inc.
  • Porter Airlines connects aspiring pilots with experienced mentors (CNW Group/Porter Airlines Inc.)

TORONTO, March 9, 2017 /CNW/ - Porter Airlines is partnering with a number of Canadian flight training programs to help prepare aspiring pilots for success. 

Destination Porter is a mentorship program introduced to students early in flight training through outreach sessions and open houses hosted by experienced Porter pilots. Pilots share their career paths and offer advice, while discussing future career opportunities.

Students have an opportunity to apply to Destination Porter after successfully completing their flight training program. They must provide academic transcripts and flight test reports, and demonstrate a high level of professionalism. Successful applicants are paired with a Porter pilot mentor and are guaranteed an interview for a First Officer position at Porter when they have met certain flying experience criteria.

"There is a need for qualified pilots across Canada as the industry grows," said Robert Deluce, president and CEO, Porter Airlines. "Porter pilots are investing their time as mentors to help the next generation navigate their own career paths. Becoming a pilot takes determination, hard work and personal commitment. It is a labour of passion, which I can personally attest to as a pilot myself."

Destination Porter hosts an exclusive event for students who are accepted into the program, where they have the opportunity to meet experienced pilots and executives, and learn about the culture and benefits of working at Porter.

Destination Porter is currently partnered with eight flight training schools: 

• Algonquin College
  • Brampton Flight Centre (IATPL program)
  • Moncton Flight College
  • Ottawa Aviation Services (IATP program)
  • Sault College
  • Seneca College
  • Waterloo Wellington Flight Centre (University of Waterloo and Conestoga College)
  • Western University

"Successful applicants are paired with one of our experienced Porter pilots who volunteer their personal time as mentors in the program," said Julie Beverstein, Captain and Pilot Recruitment Ambassador, Porter Airlines. "The knowledge and guidance they offer is invaluable to a newly licenced pilot who is about to begin their career."

Porter recently introduced the Porter Star Award at each partnering school. Students are recognized for academic achievements and their contributions towards helping others. Candidates are peer-nominated and the winner is selected by each school's administration. Porter Star Award recipients receive a bursary up to $1,000, presented by a Porter Pilot Ambassador during graduation ceremonies. The first Porter Star Award was presented to Darren Moorcroft, from the Brampton Flight Centre IATPL program, on Feb. 27, at his Wings Ceremony.

Follow Porter Pilot Recruitment on Linked In for more information.  

About Porter

Porter Airlines has revolutionized short-haul flying with a warm and effortless approach to hospitality, restoring glamour and refinement to air travel. Porter Escapes provides a carefully curated menu of flights exclusive to Porter Airlines, hotels and unique leisure options to plan the perfect holiday.

Flights and packages are available to Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City, Moncton, Halifax, St. John's, Thunder Bay, Sault Ste. Marie, Sudbury, Timmins, North Bay, Windsor, New York (Newark), Chicago (Midway), Boston, Washington (Dulles), Pittsburgh and with seasonal flights to Mt. Tremblant, Que., Myrtle Beach, S.C., Burlington, Vt., and Orlando-Melbourne, Fla.

Visit www.flyporter.com or call (888) 619-8622 for more information.   

Vacation packages are available from Porter Escapes at www.porterescapes.com.

SOURCE Porter Airlines Inc. rt.gif?NewsItemId=C3732&Transmission_Id=

The number being kicked around the FAA is 67. 

Bottom line - make the job worthwhile from the start for entry level pilots because you cannot just keep adding to the age limit trying to solve s supply side problem. Medical disqualification and cumulative fatigue are real issues for pilots over age 60.

The supply side problem and the end state problem is what’s creating the perfect storm here. It could not be more simple and any grade 6 student with a hand held calculator has got this cased. The cost of “pay to play” vs “pay for play” is about to beat the MBA crew senseless. Tell me, where is the mystery? Trucking pays more… drive trucks. Really, how is it you don't get this? When flying pays more than trucking, truck drivers (just like me) will start flying again and trucking companies will import more TFWs. OK, more than they are now.... believe me, that's a whole separate thread. The job adds are bogus and serve to support Labour market opinion (LMO) applications only. Pretty poor performance!

Fly ‘Til You Die ??

I have attempted to make this post without offending those that have the position that they will “fly as long as legally possible”, and that the issue of age is the only factor that is being considered. 

Naturally that cannot be the only factor and I would suggest that life style after being “punted through the goal posts” is probably the overriding factor. I try to understand that there are those that feel that flying an aircraft is the “be all and end all” and perhaps have no idea how they can survive outside of the airline industry. Your personal financial well-being when it is all over, (retired), is also a big player in your air game, probably for some, the most important issue.

I’m not going to bore you with financial considerations, you are all adults, so I want to discuss only one issue without financial constraints. Age.

If you can afford it, and even if you cannot continue your present lifestyle, based on flying income, I strongly suggest you exit the industry at the most convenient age possible…………. and in my opinion that is “the earlier the better”.

Until you walk out that door and start your life as a retiree, you have no idea of what awaits you and most importantly you have no idea how long you have on this planet. Believe me as the years roll past the time seems to accelerate and personally, I don’t have enough time in each day to do everything I want to do.

I still have access to the CDN forum and an individual there sends all the CDN, ( pre and post-merger with AC),  retirees the notices of those that have made their “last flight west”…..and believe me, some don’t make it far after “hanging up their spurs”.

We have a female nurse who is a good friend and years ago she stated, “do what you really want to do before you hit 70” and that statement is so true. We all start to slow down as the years creep up and there are only a fortunate few who escape any medical problems as they age.

I left at age 60 and have absolutely no regrets and am well versed in the old adage, “You will only be missed for as long as it takes for the hole in the bucket of water to fill when you remove your hand”, and I believe it.

If you can do it…leave as early as possible and I guarantee….you will never regret it….and enjoy the life you have left because……………. in the grand scheme of things…it is not that many years.

Good luck and best wishes  to all.

Well said Kip. Our time on the planet is finite and the only thing that we can control is how we spend that time.

One other consideration for retirement timing is the 'flying for free' calculation. Particularly for those pilots that have reasonable or generous pensions, it can become true that the last couple of worked years before mandatory retirement are for a nominal after tax amount vs drawing retirement benefits. If it turns out you just gave up an extra year of potential retirement for $50k, was it really worth it? Obviously, that is a personal choice.

Bottom line is continuously adjusting pilot mandatory retirement age upwards when age related physical deterioration and stamina are naturally dimishing is not a solution to the problem where entry level pilots invest $50-100k in training and education then are often asked to start work at $30k/yr (or move to Major airlines for under $100k for several years). The good news is that things are starting to change in the U.S. Entry level wages are adapting to the supply competition, and second year pay at the majors is well over $100k.

This is not a regulatory problem. It is an employer mindset problem. Reality comes when flights get cancelled for lack of pilots. Keeping the grey haired ones at the controls forever is not a plan. Better to invest in the one that just arrived on the seniority list and has decades of flying ahead of them. And I say that as one of the grey haired group.

They kicked that stone down the road once already and didn't use the time to come up with a solution. Kicking it again by changing the retirement age won't necessarily help unless they;

-Encourage the colleges to increase output to meet demand.

-Update the ab initio training syllabus to get these candidates real world ready. 

-Make the entry level jobs more attractive with better terms and conditions. 

-Compensate the experienced pilots enough for them to want to stay on to mentor the newbies.

I agree with everything that Kip said; with enthusiasm.

For most of my career I was involved in retirement planning in one form or another (helped set up a Group RRSP, helped set up a DB Pension Plan etc.) and I looked forward to my last flight. I was ready, willing and able to take the family for my last flight, hand in the red card and get on with life. BONUS: I managed to do it while still in my 50's. (But not 'freedom 55' as I had wished for.)

I did not, however, truly appreciate the retired lifestyle and learned very quickly that Kip is right when he said "I don’t have enough time in each day to do everything I want to do."

On the other hand, there are many pilots who dedicate a vast amount of time to their work and their whole social life revolves around work and/or co-workers. Some of these pilots have difficulty making the transition to retiree as they are cut off from the only thing they know and feel comfortable with. They are NOT ready, willing and able to retire.

To those pilots I'd suggest trying some hobbies, or some new activities (pickle ball is not just for seniors), or some old activities (ridden that old bike lately?). It just might be a little taste of what awaits for you.

Shortage is like the oil 'shortage' back in 2007. We were just all out of the $30, $40, $50 oil. Now it's $150. Still lots of it, it just costs more. Same for pilots. Same for everything. FWIW I think the 1500-hr rule is as good as gone. So much of safety is at the org level, culture, training, support. I'll side with the notion that broadly, performance has more to do with attitude than hours. Hours help, and anyone who has lots knows, the job is easier when you have procedures AND experience to rely on. Can't help but notice though that many insurance companies still want hours. It's the quickest metric and there is no arguing the fact that a 2500+400 hour crew would be less safe on balance than a 4000+2000 hour crew. I don't think there is any evidence to suggest though that after a certain level, perhaps 10,000 hours that this makes any difference at all, and it is all down to the individual professionalism of the crew and the general culture of the airline.

21 hours ago, John S. said:

I agree with everything that Kip said; with enthusiasm.

For most of my career I was involved in retirement planning in one form or another (helped set up a Group RRSP, helped set up a DB Pension Plan etc.) and I looked forward to my last flight. I was ready, willing and able to take the family for my last flight, hand in the red card and get on with life. BONUS: I managed to do it while still in my 50's. (But not 'freedom 55' as I had wished for.)

I did not, however, truly appreciate the retired lifestyle and learned very quickly that Kip is right when he said "I don’t have enough time in each day to do everything I want to do."

On the other hand, there are many pilots who dedicate a vast amount of time to their work and their whole social life revolves around work and/or co-workers. Some of these pilots have difficulty making the transition to retiree as they are cut off from the only thing they know and feel comfortable with. They are NOT ready, willing and able to retire.

To those pilots I'd suggest trying some hobbies, or some new activities (pickle ball is not just for seniors), or some old activities (ridden that old bike lately?). It just might be a little taste of what awaits for you.

Just my 2 cents worth, but I am now a very happily retired AME who is younger than 60. Due to sensible retirement planning, I am financially secure for the rest of my life, and am free to pursue my dreams and desires for whatever time I have left on this rock. If I could accomplish this on a Maintenance guy's wages, there is no reason why others who earn considerable amounts more cannot do the same.

We've been through this discussion before but here it is again. I retired at what was then the normal retirement age of 60. I had more than enough money to retire and had a plan for my time. The volunteer work I did prior to retirement part time became something closer to full time. I could holiday when I wanted which now is only curtailed by an elderly golden retriever. Life is really good. I'm never bored

Having said that I would love to have flown another 5 years. I loved having the two lives.  What was not to like. I loved the flying, I love the people I worked with and enjoyed the layovers. I would have done it for the expense money. It gave me enough time off to do much of the volunteer work and other things i do now plus a great life working for AC. 

I just never got tired of the job, which does not mean that I didn't have a fulfilling and enjoyable life outside of the job or after the job. I'm sure there are many more just like me.

11 minutes ago, GDR said:

I loved having the two lives.  What was not to like. I loved the flying, I love the people I worked with and enjoyed the layovers. 

I just never got tired of the job, which does not mean that I didn't have a fulfilling and enjoyable life outside of the job or after the job. I'm sure there are many more just like me.

Exactly! I'm with you ... 

Originally, though not any more, I definitely missed the job, the camaraderie, the crews, the Airplanes, the excitement, the technology, the layovers, and yes...the pay check.

Couldn't agree more! I would have given anything for a few more years to retire at a time of MY choosing, rather than being kicked to the gutter like a used piece of bubble gum. Today's 60 is definitely the new 50. Years later I know I could still do the job to a Class A standard and still  pass the medical. ACPA will never be forgiven.

Everyone has a different story and I've loved everything about airplanes and airlines since I was a youngster.

Running out of a screen door gate at YYG as a six year old (parents in my dust) to get the seat next to the landing gear of a Handley Page Herald. Or as an eleven year old standing in the front of a brand new 737 freshly arrived from Seattle (CF-NAB) being readied for its inaugural YFB cargo combi flight. So many model airliners choosing not to use the decals included but instead painting other airline colors on them such as the famous CP orange from nose to tail. Mother finally had to shut it down. Apparently there were too many planes to be dusted in the hangar. 

School projects, 8mm films, an old VHF (28v/115v converter) aircraft receiver set up in my room to monitor all the ATC communication around YUL. Our west island house was exactly between the 06L & 10 approaches. 

Nearly 40 years later at my last job I hired and trained contract pilots for our busy Canadian season. Most if not all were retired AC 767 Captans (some former CP or ND) who for a variety of reasons wanted to work four and half months each winter. Their schedules included sun destination layovers and having flown with them I learned in some cases their wives were still working too. I'd say 90% didn't need the money but a few had divorced later in life or their previous "merged into AC airline pension" wasn't quite as good as AC's. Some of my most memorable layovers were with these gents who loved flying and age 60 wasn't a reason to quit. I recall having some long discussions about the age 60 rule. You could tell they just loved to fly and having also done some of their sim rides, they were still as sharp as ever. I have found one of the best parts of sitting for hours in the back of a sim is what you can learn. 

For a period of time I was number 20 out of a 500 pilot seniority list. Weekends off. Never missed a birthday or holiday. Planned to retire number 2 but it all ended one November night with CTV's Lloyd Robertson giving me and 5000 others some bad news. However I was lucky to be hired almost immediately elsewhere but at the bottom of another well established pilot list. Not my mid-life plan but I was happy to be flying again. 

So now still working but outside of my home country because I have to and I want to keep flying. My aviation doctor once told me I'm going to live forever. Who knows that for certain but I did have grandparents who lived to over 100 and I still have a 93 year old father going strong. Who by the way has now collected a pension from AC longer than he worked (MCA/ND/CP/CAIL/AC) in this airline business. Now he monitors all of my monthly flights around the globe listening to ATCllve and other tracking websites. 

I've got lots of hobbies to keep me busy when I set the parking brake for the last time. That day will be here before I know it but I will be happy to walk away without any ceremony or fanfare. Until then I'm going to enjoy whatever flying I have left because I still love it. 

IMG_5003.PNG

10 minutes ago, blues deville said:

Can you elaborate on your post/comment? 

Please.......for the sake of civility on this forum....let's not go there.......all water under the bridge.....many now, and many 'then' have their stories, but history cannot be rewritten.............. so really....nothing to see here...move on and get on with life;)

Maybe of interest to those who want to carry on.

Mount Royal University seeks more instructors as demand for pilots grows

carolyn-kury-de-castillo.jpg?quality=60& By Carolyn Kury de Castillo Reporter  Global News

It’s been nearly a month since a plane crash killed two Mount Royal University aviation instructors. On Saturday, the university hosted an aviation career expo to help pilots expand their networking circles and to recruit new pilots. But the fate of the annual event was in question after the deaths of Jeff Bird and Reyn Johnson.

“We decided to go ahead for two very good reasons. Jeff and Reyn. Those guys had a lot of passion for the industry. I think they would have wanted us to continue their legacy by instilling that in to other people,” said Leon Cygman, chair of the Mount Royal University Aviation program.

READ MORE: Flight instructors killed in plane crash near Calgary were experienced pilots: Mount Royal University president

Mount Royal University has since voluntarily grounded the school’s two remaining Tecnam P2006T twin engine airplanes. It was a twin engine that crashed in February west of Calgary. No students have bowed out of the program since the tragedy. In fact, the school has seen an increase in the number of applications this year.

“Typically we get about 90 applicants a year. This year our applicant pool is about 120,” said Cygman.

Aviation students are still able to fly the five single engine Cessna 172 airplanes. However, the second year students’ graduation will be delayed.

“We are taking some of our curriculum and moving them into the singles. We are also getting planes from our partner flight training schools. And we are also in the process of trying to find a twin that we can lease in the short term. We are scanning the country. We have some brokers working with us to be able to locate airplanes for us. We hope to have an airplane within the next month,” said Cygman.

READ MORE: Pilot killed in MRU plane crash remembered for dedication to his family

The Transportation Safety Board has said it will be challenging to determine what exactly caused the crash that killed Bird and Johnson. The plane’s major components were destroyed and it wasn’t carrying a cockpit voice recorder or flight data recorder which is not a requirement with that type of plane.

At the end of April, Cygman said Mount Royal University will have only three aviation instructors, down from 11. Many have been snapped up by airlines recently because of the demand for pilots.

“There are lots of jobs. This is a great time to get into the industry. People are flying more and airlines like Air Canada are expanding their routes they need more pilots,” said Cygman.

“It’s ramping up quite quickly,” said Encore pilot Tyler Dowell, who was greeting people at the WestJet booth at the career expo. WestJet Encore is a wholly owned subsidiary of WestJet.

“At WestJet this year we’re looking at hiring just over 300 pilots just in 2017 alone which is probably one of our highest, if not our highest, hiring years that we’ve ever done in the history of WestJet in 21 years.”

“One thing that helps us now, I know it doesn’t help a lot of Albertans, but the low cost of oil. Fuel is a huge cost of the airline and that keeps our cost down and it helps keep our fares low, which is good for the consumers and that helps fuel a lot of the expansion that we see,” said Dowell.

Normally, newly graduated pilots must fly with small local companies with little pay, just to get the required hours to fly the larger planes. But pilot Amber Gladue is now flying with Jazz. She was one of the Jazz representatives at the career expo. Gladue graduated from Mount Royal just last year. She credits good marks, high demand and Mount Royal’s reputation.

Women still only make up for around 10 to 15 per cent of the students at the aviation school.

“I still can’t really believe it sometimes that I get to do this but it’s such a great opportunity and I’m really honoured that I got to do it,” said Gladue.

A recent report from Boeing warns of pilot and crew shortage. It predicts that over the next 20 years, over 600,000 commercial pilots will be required globally.

“.........Fuel is a huge cost of the airline and that keeps our cost down and it helps keep our fares low, which is good for the consumers and that helps fuel a lot of the expansion that we see,” said Dowell.

The last time I saw a low fare at Westjet was about 20 years ago. I recently priced out a European trip for later this summer and AC is cheaper with a better selection of flights and departure times. 

Archived