Sign in to follow this  
Jaydee

Kathleen Wynne Time Expired !

Progressive Conservatives Tracking Toward Super Majority"

http://poll.forumresearch.com/m/post/2666/progressive-conservatives-tracking-toward-super-majority/

News just keeps getting better!!

"Alberta and Ontario, restive voters see a government with its own agenda that doesn’t care what they want.

http://business.financialpost.com/fp-comment/kevin-libin-the-backlash-from-canadas-climate-deplorables-could-create-our-very-own-trump

Edited by Jaydee

I get ill just thinking of the poor quality performances politicians of all stripes have put on beginning with Diefenbaker and culminating with the greatest bunch of miscreants the Country has ever known, the Federal & Provincial Liberals!

• Like 1

another business that will be forced out of business due to Wynne.

There is an App called Gridwatch one can download for free that shows real time energy demand and usage and in Ontario.

The REAL EYE opener is Ontario survives by using the majority of its power from Nuclear plants. One would think that the BILLIONS WASTED so far by Wynnes LIBERALS green energy would be at least doing something beneficial for the taxpayer.  

IMG_4517.PNG

They say 1284 MW are imported and another 1800 MW are exported for a net of 516 MW.

Are all the green energy MW that we export to and pay the US to receive included in these numbers?

Thanks Deicer.

I purchased a geothermal heat / ac unit in 2009. I was told that although expensive, it would pay for itself after about 8 years of use; it's supposed to have an approximate 20 year lifespan. I recently sent a letter to Wynn and the Liberals thanking them for taking away my benefit and for their part in destroying a green industry.

My recent Hydro bill advised that I was "saving" $20 because they suspended the 'debt retirement charge'. What an insult to learn that the cash needed to pay the full debt + interest nut was already collected through said charge over many years and then squandered to fund social engineering projects, but then to be told I'm getting a break and now 'saving' is just too much. The Libs probably rightfully assume society are all bimbos.

But hey, grocery clerk Sandra Pupatello needed a job and Hydro required a leader so .... and then there's the genius of Trudeau's carbon tax.

Go Donald! .

• Like 1

Australia in energy turmoil

"As in so many other jurisdictions, including Ontario, these problems result from inept command-and-control models. After Australian voters rebelled against an attempt to impose carbon taxes, authorities pushed for a bevy of regulations to curb emissions."

http://business.financialpost.com/fp-comment/its-power-pandemonium-down-under-thanks-to-heavy-handed-climate-policies-sound-familiar

• Like 1

here a vote, there a vote...

Muslim prayers in schools get provincial endorsement following intense meeting

Liberal ministers Mitzie Hunter and Michael Coteau issue statement of support the morning after a Peel school board meeting where tempers flared and police had to clear the room.

Thu March 23, 2017 - Toronto Star
By Kristin Rushowy - Queen's Park Bureau

The morning after a tense meeting at the Peel school board — where a spectator tore up a Quran and others yelled Islamophobic comments — the province has issued a statement in support of the board providing space for Muslim students’ Friday prayers.

Education Minister Mitzie Hunter and Michael Coteau, minister of children and youth services, said “we know that the Peel District School Board has been working closely with their students and the community for more than a decade on religious accommodation in their schools and we are pleased to see their commitment to inclusion.

“… Realizing the promise of Ontario’s diversity is a continuous process grounded in actively respecting and valuing the full range of our differences.”
At issue in Peel is the board providing space for Muslim students to pray as a group, on Fridays. The practice has been going on for years — as it has in some Toronto public schools — but only recently been targeted by critics by way of protest and petitions demanding the 20 minutes of group prayer, called Jummah, be banned.

Critics believe it leads to segregation among students and inappropriate exposure to religion in a secular school system.

At Wednesday night’s board meeting, police were present and had to clear the room after tempers flared.

Chair Janet McDougald said the board is “appalled … by the anti-Muslim rhetoric and prejudice we have seen on social media, read in emails and heard first-hand at our board meetings
“It has caused some of our students to feel unsafe, to feel targeted. We must not allow hatred toward any faith group to flourish. We will not stand for that. It is not consistent with our board values, with our role as trustees, or for us as Canadians.”

She said the “concerted effort to share deliberate misinformation, to counter a known legal requirement for Peel” is unacceptable.

She went on to say that as a board, the issue is settled, and “we have said we will no longer hear delegations, nor accept public questions on this provincial requirement. We need to focus on the business of the board.”

The board has also created an information sheet that “addresses the questions we are repeatedly asked. From this point on, our “Key Facts” stands as our response,” she said. “Staff will use this sheet in response — and nothing else — in responding to questions and concerns including social media.”

School boards are required to have a religious accommodation guideline in place to help boards establish open, fair and transparent processes for considering individual requests, Coteau and Hunter also wrote.

“We encourage parents and students to have an ongoing dialogue with their schools if an accommodation is required or whether there are concerns.
“While it is our expectation that all public school boards comply with the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and the Ontario Human Rights Code, we know that hate continues to spread, even in the most diverse regions of our province.”

The government recently announced a three-year anti-racism plan, they said, which entails a “whole-of-government approach to combat systemic racism, with specific targets to address Islamophobia. We need to all work together to strengthen relationships with racialized communities through community collaboration.

This BS is just plain wrong on so many levels.

Time for parents to start pulling students from school in protest. If enough got together and pooled resources they could easily hire a few teachers and home school some where.

If it was my kids they would have been pulled yesterday.

Edited by Jaydee
  • Like 1

I agree completely.

Interesting ... this so-called board is telling the people to stuff their opinions on the basis said board is all - knowing? These boards seem to believe they're free to govern with complete indifference to the wishes of the people that elected them, they appear to take their lead from their big brothers of the Provincial & Federal governments.

I guess I was wrong, but I thought the matter of religion & public schools had been decided many moons back? I guess our gutless leadership has two standards of governance, one that says pretty much anything goes when it comes to accommodating the religious sensibilities of muslims, even when it interferes with the expectations of every other student who themselves are restricted spiritually by an otherwise inflexible & dangerous political regime?

The practice encourages segregation and further ensures the young muslim has somewhere between zero and a 1% chance to integrate with his Countrymen.

• Like 1

If it will make you feel any better re your electric bills our mind-trust decided to walk away from legal power contracts and now fearing to up our power rates (she saw what that did to the popularity of your Premier), will instead borrow the money to make good with the "generators" and charge it to general operating expenses. 

Alberta will borrow $2.2B to cover losses from power contracts

By Reid Southwick, Postmedia

First posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 07:17 AM MDT | Updated: Friday, March 31, 2017 09:55 AM MDT

The Alberta government plans to borrow more than $2 billion over four years to cover losses from power contracts, despite claims there are cheaper alternatives.

Four companies that bought coal-fired electricity from generators and resold it to the grid under the deregulated market have walked away from these power purchase agreements.

They claimed the deals are no longer attractive after the government raised the carbon levy on large industrial emitters last year, increasing their costs at a time they were already losing money.

The companies transferred the money-losing deals to the Balancing Pool, a provincial agency that manages power agreements. With low electricity prices, the agency can’t make enough money selling the power to cover its expenses.

Last fall, the government authorized the Alberta Balancing Pool to borrow money to cover its losses, but the province didn’t disclose how much it would have to borrow at the time.

Read more: Province settles disputes with AltaGas Ltd., TransCanada Corp.

A footnote printed near the end of the government’s latest budget report shows the province plans to borrow, on behalf of the Balancing Pool, $2.2 billion by the 2019-2020 fiscal year.

The NDP government said in a statement Thursday the estimated borrowings, which could change, will cover losses from the power contracts along with other Balancing Pool costs, such as small power producer deals.

The government said the Balancing Pool is typically not named in the Alberta budget, but “in the interests of transparency” it included the loan in this year’s document.

“Negotiating in good faith with companies that held (power agreements) and giving the Balancing Pool a loan allowed us to take the volatility and uncertainty out of the electricity system and protect Albertans from higher electricity charges,” the government said.

The government took out the loan to spread the pain of the power contract losses over a longer period of time. Under changes introduced last fall, the Balancing Pool will remain active until 2030 to pay off its debts, which reduces monthly bills because it stretches the repayment period.

'GROSS MISMANAGEMENT'

Consumers will pay on average 67 cents this year to help pay off the debt, though the government said the cost would have been much higher if it hadn’t taken out the loan.

Don MacIntyre, a Wildrose critic, said the government is “hiding the cost of their mismanagement” by taking out a loan, rather than charging consumers directly.

MacIntyre said the losses are even worse than the $2.2 billion in borrowing suggests because the figure doesn’t include other income that has been wiped out by the money-losing contracts.

“This is just gross mismanagement on an enormous scale by people who do not understand the electricity system,” MacIntyre said.

Gary Reynolds, a former Balancing Pool president and an electricity consultant, said industry observers are “scratching their heads” wondering why the power agency isn’t taking the less expensive route of cancelling at least some of its money-losing agreements.

Under this scenario, the agency would pay out the remaining book value of the power contract to the generating company, which must decide whether it would continue operating the plant that was producing the power, Reynolds said.

“The benefit of that process is that consumers aren’t on the hook for the losses,” he said.

According to internal Balancing Pool documents obtained by the Opposition Wildrose, the agency estimated a year ago that terminating some power deals would be less expensive than holding on to them.

The agency said in the April 2016 report it was exploring whether it could secure financing to terminate the Battle River and two Sundance power purchase agreements, expected to cost $450 million.

Robert Bhatia, chairman of the Alberta Balancing Pool, said the agency has not made any decisions on ending power contracts.

Reynolds said the annual charge for consumers would be lower, if the agency ended some of its contracts.

“Everybody is scratching their heads wondering why they haven’t.”

rsouthwick@postmedia.com 

What witchcraft has gripped Ontario? 

• National Post - (National Edition)
  • REX MURPHY National Post

Weird things are happening in Ontario. The premier of the province, a woman generally agreed to be well educated, confident, thoroughly in tune with the times, is virtually keelhauled in recent polling where she resides at an appalling 11 per cent. She is only slightly more popular than traffic tickets and overcooked broccoli (and even those are within the margin of error).

What gives, is the question whispered on every street corner and in every coffee shop. How can Kathleen Wynne have fallen so far when her competition is that other fella, whassiname, that the Progressive Conservatives recently front-loaded into their leadership. His charisma floats in the same shallows and he has the inspirational force of kelp. Yet he is miles ahead of the impeccably progressive Wynne. It is not natural. The order of things is awry.

Other unnerving and eerily disturbing manifestations trouble this once stable, well-grounded, equable province. A businesswoman I met recently — on her way, incidentally, to meet with a spiritual adviser — showed me the energy bill for her company. She was distraught and clearly frightened. And with good reason. For very clearly on her bill was a charge for the power she used — the electricity cost. And it was a mere (she employs nearly 40 people) $5,000. There it was on the bill: electricity charges $5,000. But when she forced her wary eyes to the Total Due, the amount had swollen to a terrifying and inexplicable $42,000.

How can this be? she cried. And all around the bank lobby (she was there for a loan, naturally) the echo went, how can this be? How could the add-ons cost SEVEN times more than the power actually consumed? It was like buying a low-end car for $20,000 and being charged $80,000 for the clock in the dash. She was puzzled and put to me, poetically I thought, the question: “Are such things here as I have talked about, or have I eaten on the insane root that takes the prisoner reason?” Would that all business people spoke thus.

Her turn of thought gave me a needed clue. At around this same time my ever news-tuned ear caught the story of a man taken up by Toronto police for dabbling, or presuming to dabble, in the hidden and dark arts. He had siphoned roughly $100,000 from some poor and vulnerable man through the exercise of the fiendish and forbidden practices, dormant for centuries, once known as Malleus Maleficarum. The common translation of the grim title is The Hammer of Witches (more pedantically, The Hammer of Sorceresses).

The current day would-be necromancer was charged under a somewhat ambiguous or unsatisfying statute calling for criminal penalties of those who “pretend to practise witchcraft, etc.” (That’s literally what is says in the Criminal Code — section 365, specifically.) But what if he wasn’t pretending? It occurs to me that witchcraft in Ontario could explain a great many things. The curious gyrations of the Ontario government in its long embrace of its green plans, for one thing. For surely no mind, anchored to reason and free from the sway of demiurgic forces, could even snarl up the rudimentary service of energy production and energy distribution to the manic extent it is currently snarled up.

What reason would bring in contracts lasting for decades with built-in guarantees for ludicrously overpriced power? What government would produce power, at great expense, to then sell it at a loss in a virtual voluntary subsidy to the ratepayers of neighbouring jurisdictions? What government would, on the premise of saving the planet, find itself in 2016 cutting off all power to 60,000 homes? What province would so engorge itself with taxes on its power that it now reaches into those same taxes it has extorted under this wild scheme to “rebate” them to the very people its plan has impoverished? It was bad enough when Ontario robbed Peter to pay Paul, now it’s then robbing Paul to pay back what it just stole from Peter.

Finally, what province would but days ago ladle a couple of hundred million dollars to Ford Motor Company, in part for the building of V8 engines — the very villains of carbon production so decried in all the government’s other proclamations — some of which we may assume will go toward, directly or indirectly, Ford’s inflated power bill. Surely some superior dark force has a hold on Ontario.

To you I give the same answer I gave the businesswoman in tears. This is not politics, I assured her. These are not practices a sane and stable Liberal government would, on its own, inflict on a suffering citizenry. It is witchcraft, the work of fiends and sorcerers.There is nothing to save Ontario from its bewitchment with the green paradise other than a public exorcism. Bring out the book — Malleus Maleficarum — and study its many protocols. Only then can there be some hope that human practice will once again predominate in the management of Ontario energy.

• Like 3