1 minute ago, Jaydee said:

I think I did that by mistake earlier this morning.

i was trying to correct a post I was adding to it and hit the wrong delete button and the whole thing disappeared.

Sorry about that.

Jaydee

Whow, you have powers I didn't even know existed.  Can you make my power bill disappear too?

• Like 1

I'll give you my average Ontario hydro bill so far this winter: approx 1600 sq ft bungalow, propane heat, in the country. 2 adults that are home avg 18 days/mth, no kids, no computer/tv running 24/7, electric water heater.

Roughly 1100 kw hours - $123    (216 peak, 178 mid peak, 703 off Peak)

Regulatory Charges              8

Delivery.       (Wtf)                 89

Hst.                                       29

ttl.                                       $240

And the govt says I saved $8 through a provincial rebate which just means they are charging it somewhere else to make it look like they giving the folks a break!

fwiw....I think I am one of the lucky ones...horror stories about retired folks stuck in their 70s dream home with electric heat (which the govt pushed in the 70s...remember live better electrically! Ha).

9 minutes ago, jump seat said:

I live just north of Campbellford, wood stove (heat) gas dryer, gas stove, electricity. Hot water, and our bill for 2 is about $350 per month with a $175 delivery fee.... Crazy expensive.

Not sure...but are you using electricity for hot water???

If you are I would urge you to change to gas....an electric water tank can really raise your electrical bill.

I called the Hydro One billing department last fall to inquire how much it would cost to have my service totally disconnected while I was away for the winter.  She refused to answer my question saying she didn't know the answer. Repeat...this was the billing department. I asked to speak to a supervisor and she said they were unavailable.

I was simply trying to find out which was cheaper. Disconnecting altogether by cancelling my account or paying the monthly ongoing usage charges of approx    $118 per month. She said she got asked that question on a regular basis.

My average actual hydro cost is less than $50 per month. My average bill,is between $180 to $220 monthly. Furnace on propane, hot water on propane, stove on propane. 

Welcome to Ontario.

Hydro had a promotion about 4 months ago to switch to a high efficiency heat exchanger type water heater...looked at it but the cost seemed too steep. I thought i would just keep paying with my old electric. I could buy a lot of kws before i saw a return on investment. 

6 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

Not sure...but are you using electricity for hot water???

If you are I would urge you to change to gas....an electric water tank can really raise your electrical bill.

Yes - hot water is my last major electrical appliance, it will be replaced before the fall!

We are installing solar panels next month with the microfit program, should be interesting to see what our roof can generate!

If you live in Ontario, absolutely NOTHING you can do will markedly affect your hydro bill to the point where there is a break even point. As the Borg say.... Resistance is  futile!.

The Global Adjustment" and "Delivery Fee" are the killers on any bill.

Another example below.

http://blackburnnews.com/chatham/chatham-news/2017/02/27/ck-farmer-sick-paying-large-hydro-bills/

Edited by Jaydee
20 minutes ago, Jaydee said:

If you live in Ontario, absolutely NOTHING you can do will markedly affect your hydro bill. Nothing you do will change the "Global Adjustment" or "Delivery Fee"

Another example below.

http://blackburnnews.com/chatham/chatham-news/2017/02/27/ck-farmer-sick-paying-large-hydro-bills/

A $5900.00 electricity bill that's 95% delivery charge and adjustment fee?  That is ridiculous.  That's at the point were he'd be ahead with getting a generator unit - won't do much to reduce greenhouse gases but would cost less dollars.  A rough calculation shows that he could run a 40 kW diesel generator for 12 hrs/day for the same $200/day.  I doubt he'd need that much generator since he really only used 600 bucks in electricity - could probably do it even cheaper with a natural gas unit and combination solar/wind/battery pack.  I'd be pulling the plug.

http://proenergy.ca/chart-diesel.htm

Edited by seeker
1 hour ago, jump seat said:

Yes - hot water is my last major electrical appliance, it will be replaced before the fall!

We are installing solar panels next month with the microfit program, should be interesting to see what our roof can generate!

Two years ago I put four 300 watt panels on my boat. They charge 2 8D 12 volt batteries which go through a 3000 watt inverter. We run two fridges and TV/DVD player and just a very few 110-120 AC lights. On a sunny day my batteries are fully charged by 10:00am the next day and stay fully charged until the sun sets. We can last about 3 days with  rain because even on a cloudy day we do get some amps. The only thing the solar will not run are the two air conditioners but if required we could use the 7KW generator in the engine room

Did a lot of research before I went to solar but it was a necessity because in 1000 Islands National Park  there are now only two islands that allow gensets on shore or your on-board generator to run between 8:00am and 10:00pm 

Do lots of research and I am sure you will be happy with a roof full of panels !!:)

40 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

Two years ago I put four 300 watt panels on my boat. They charge 2 8D 12 volt batteries which go through a 3000 watt inverter. We run two fridges and TV/DVD player and just a very few 110-120 AC lights. On a sunny day my batteries are fully charged by 10:00am the next day and stay fully charged until the sun sets. We can last about 3 days with  rain because even on a cloudy day we do get some amps. The only thing the solar will not run are the two air conditioners but if required we could use the 7KW generator in the engine room

Did a lot of research before I went to solar but it was a necessity because in 1000 Islands National Park  there are now only two islands that allow gensets on shore or your on-board generator to run between 8:00am and 10:00pm 

Do lots of research and I am sure you will be happy with a roof full of panels !!:)

Just think if you were in Alberta (sunshine that is) :D Great Bear and Great Slave lake might give you a work out. 

Great Bear Lake, located in the Northwest Territories, is the largest lake located entirely inside Canadian borders. It is also the fourth largest in North America and the eighth largest in the world. Water flows out of the lake into the Great Bear River, then into the Mackenzie River. Other rivers connected to the lake include the Dease, Camsell and Johnny Hoe. Great Bear Lake is made up of five separate arms, each with their own names: Dease, McTavish, McVicar, Keith and Smith.

Great Slave Lake is located in the Northwest Territories. It is the second largest lake entirely within Canadian borders, the fifth largest in North America, and the tenth largest in the world. With a maximum depth of 614 m, it is also North America’s deepest lake. Two arms, referred to as the North and East arms, extend from the lake. The name “Slave” derives from “Slavey” — a word sometimes applied to a major group of Dene people indigenous to the region.

When earning money for his commercial licence, my father fished those lakes in the late 30's. The weather is fierce and the storms brew up very fast. 

Kip - My cottage is in the land of Wynne.

Not only is electricity expensive, the taxes

were going nuts. They increased $1500.00

when the assessment went up $40,000.00.

I fought this with expert help from a realtor

and got it reduced by $185,000.00. Now my

math shows 185,000/40,000 = 4.625

4.625x1500 = $6937.50

Now they owe me money - not to be. 

I found out it goes up a lot faster than it

goes down.  

I remember when I first moved to ON...I though we were moving to Utopia (BCers will now pile on:P) but ever since we set up house, every Provincial Govt has socked it to us.

The latest example is on a small scale, but really annoying......vehicle licence plate renewable.  The plates for my vehicles have gone up over 11% this year and Wynne says...."but-but on April 01 Drive Clean is free",.

One only has to do the math and you will see that Drive Clean is only once every two years so the increase in licence plate renewal will actually exceed the cost that we used to pay for  Drive Clean every two years........but that wasn't in any literature I read.

For non-Ontarions...Plates in 2016 were $98.00

Plates in 2017 are now $120.00

The forms they send out have an option to get your renewal for 2 years and if you opt for that you are them giving Wynne  $120.00 and over a year to play with your money....not this kid.:angry:

In BC over 90% of our electricity comes from non-polluting hydro. They introduced a carbon tax a few years ago to try to get people to reduce their green house gas emissions. If they were serious about reducing green house gases shouldn't they be providing an incentive to switch to electric everything? I could get rid of my polluting gas furnace, hot water heater, gas stove etc. and switch to clean electric. But then they introduce tier one and two hydro bills, of which you can imagine once you get into tier two the cost is way more expensive. Oh, and anybody that uses any electricity basically makes it into tier two. Again if they were serious about reducing green house gases they should have a tier one two three etc. where it gets cheaper the more you use it as you are doing more for the environment.

9 hours ago, Rich Pulman said:

Doubling the amount of time you spend dealing with licence plate renewals just to show the government who's boss, and saving (perhaps) $3 in opportunity cost; and in doing so, requiring the government to double the time it spends dealing with your licence plate renewals.... Sounds a lot like a lose-lose situation to me.

BTW, notice that had you renewed for two years in 2016, you'd have saved $22 on your 2017 fees.

Rich…..

Just some thoughts that you can peruse…….

My licence has to be renewed prior to 01 May

The boost in price for 2017 was announced in August 2016

Little late to pay for 2 years in 2016 seeing I had purchased my renewal in April 2016  , doncha think?;)

The time taken by me to renew is a non-factor. I can renew my plates for 4 vehicles in about 6 minutes using the on-line renewal. I would venture to say the guy/gal at the other end cannot do the job in that amount of time because of the requirement to fact-check my insurance/tickets and producing an addressed envelope etc.

Back to  “what if” …..If I had known there was a rate increase in 2016 for 2017 you are suggesting that I spend an additional  $392.00 so that I wouldn’t have to spend the extra $88.00 in 2017.

As well, based on your comments it would be a possible “win” situation for me to send, this year, 2017, an additional  $480.00 just in case there is another boost in plate fees next year. Perhaps you feel that 'could be a win' but my limited financial  logic says it is not

Not this kid …..I can think of better things to spend the money on prior to 2018 and then there is always the option to down-size and sell a few of my toys and then I would have to get a refund….and we all know how long it takes for any government to process a refund.:(

Edited by Kip Powick
speling
  • Like 1