Aerial Delivery of Ice for Calgary Home

Ice crashes through bungalow in the southeast community of Dover

Chunk of ice from passing plane leaves gaping hole in roof of Calgary home

By: Staff The Canadian Press Published on

Calgary fire officials say they've determined that a large piece of ice that crashed through the roof of a home in the city came from a passing airplane.

Emergency crews were called to the home on Friday night by the occupants of the home, who thought there had been some kind of explosion.

When police arrived, they found a ball of ice had crashed through the building right to the basement, leaving a gaping hole in the roof.

The ice fractured on impact but firefighters at the scene suspect it had an original diameter of about 30 centimetres.

Fortunately, the homeowners were in a different room when it happened and weren't hurt.

Firefighters have preserved the chunk of ice for further investigation.

One fire department spokesman said the home is beneath a designated flight path.

"We determined it to be a piece of ice that fell from an overhead plane that was passing by," said battalion Chief Paul LeBlanc.

"This is the first time in my 36 years of working for the Calgary Fire Department that I've heard of this happening."

The ongoing police investigation into the matter is set to include consultation with the Calgary Airport Authority.

(CTV Calgary)

Seems that PostMedia has assigned blame (at least by the picture). :D

‘They thought it was an explosion’: Falling ice from aircraft tears through the roof of Calgary home

c22fbe20799d91fae8089156012b711a?s=68&d=mm

Postmedia News | February 25, 2017 11:46 AM ET
An airplane flies over traffic on Barlow Trail in Calgary on Tuesday February 8, 2011. With the looming closure of Barlow Trail between 48 Ave and Airport Trail NE, city council recently approved the construction of a tunnel replacing the road.

•  

Falling ice tore through the roof of a Calgary home Friday night after detaching from an aircraft, police reported.

Calgary Police officer Andy Nguyen said emergency crews were called to a home in the 100 block of Doverthorn Bay S.E. after reports of what the two adults living in the residence told police they thought was an explosion just after 7 p.m. Friday evening.

“Obviously the noise from the ice going through the roof was loud enough they thought it was an explosion,” Nguyen said. “We’re fairly certain that two small pieces of ice, about golf ball size, fell through the roof and ended up in the hallway of the home.”

Nguyen said no injuries were reported, and that the particular home happens to sit directly under the flightpath of planes landing at Calgary International Airport. Fire crews and police have contacted the Calgary Airport Authority to alert them of the incident.

13 minutes ago, Boney said:

Westjet is Teal. lol.

Nope.  I have been told several times by Westjetters that their colour is blue and that the teal is the secondary colour.  That's why their Santa wears a blue suit and why the Christmas tuques are blue, not teal.

Screen Shot 2017-02-25 at 15.27.38.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-25 at 15.28.14.png

28 minutes ago, seeker said:

I think I figured it out - had a big post with sources of info, rationale, etc.  Then, I thought, hmmmm, maybe I shouldn't post this.

So, anyway, "How about those Jays?"

Do the Jay's winter over in your land or spend their time in Florida? :D

14 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Do the Jay's winter over in your land or spend their time in Florida? :D

Jays winter in Dunedin Florida and will play a few "Grapefruit" league ball games before coming up here.

I think their first game is this afternoon against the Atlanta Braves. (((((update))))))

Bottom of 6th

Atlanta 6

Jays 4

You have to give WestJet points for

Chunk of ice that crashed through Calgary roof fell off plane: WestJet

Ceiling damage - falling ice

Damage to the ceiling above the rear landing of the Couches' home in Dover
Rob Drinkwater , The Canadian Press
Published Saturday, February 25, 2017 6:06PM EST
Last Updated Saturday, February 25, 2017 7:43PM EST

CALGARY -- WestJet says early results of an investigation into an ice chunk that crashed through a Calgary home indicate one of its planes is to blame.

Airline spokeswoman Lauren Stewart said in an email that a preliminary investigation has concluded the ice on Friday evening fell from a WestJet plane on approach into Calgary from Regina.

Stewart said WestJet is inspecting the aircraft to determine the cause of the incident and is cooperating with local authorities and Nav Canada, the agency that is responsible for Canada's civilian air navigation service.

Calgary's fire department said the incident was originally reported as an explosion, but as the residents investigated further, they found a hole in their ceiling and fragments of ice on their basement stairs.

The ice made it all the way to the basement floor

"This is a most unfortunate incident for the family whose home was damaged and we will be reaching out to pay for all necessary repairs to their home," Stewart said in the email.

John Lee with the Transportation Safety Board said he has contacted the homeowner where Friday's incident happened, and instructed the homeowner to keep the ice in the freezer until it can be tested.

Lee said incidents of ice crashing through roofs from passing planes are rare. However, he said the home where it happened Friday is very near to another home that had the same thing happen a number of years ago.

Lee said the ice from that incident fell from a Boeing 737 and originated in a lavatory sink. Planes don't discharge their toilet water during flight, Lee explained, but they do eject the water that's used for handwashing.

In order to keep that water from freezing as chunks, part of the drainage system is heated. However, Lee said the heating element on the 737 failed and ice formed as a ball at the end.

As the plane descended and the air became warmer, the ball melted and broke away.

"This ice has to come off at the right time and also be on a path that it's going to hit a house. So I think the stars have to line up pretty good for this stuff to happen," Lee said, although he admitted it could happen more than we know about.

"We only know about these things if it hits someone's house or it hits the street."

Lee said there are cases where water from aircraft toilets leaks from valves, forms ice and breaks away. Such cases were once known as "blue ice" but Lee said he isn't sure if planes still use blue water in their toilets anymore.

Sometimes, he said, investigations into falling ice have a simpler explanation.

Lee said one case in Alberta turned out to be ice that broke away from the top of a steep roof.

"It slid down the roof and hit some lawn furniture," Lee said.

21 hours ago, Boney said:

If it was ice off an airplane, it could have come from any airplane that departed around the time of the incident at the home. 

Not enough time for the lav to create a block. Only other source, deice fluid.

Interesting.

Kind of defeats the purpose of deice fluid if it were to freeze, don't you think?

I am surprised that a chunk of ice, falling off an aircraft travelling at 150 mph outdoors penetrate vertically down through shingles, plywood sheeting, more sheeting, drywall etc. My thought would be that it would bounce, skip or even shatter on impact.

I'm still not buying this story.....look at the size of the hole and tell me a chunk of ice that big could go through all that building material. I don't think ice would have the mass to do the damage...maybe a piece of steel or lead, but not ice.

Depending on the altitude from which it fell, it's mass, how much drag, wind, etc. affected it's trajectory, and perhaps the pitch of the roof that it hit could all play a part in the way it went through the house. My old physics teacher would be scolding me now for not running the numbers, but perhaps someone with more aptitude than I, could.

In any event, WestJet has claimed responsibility along with the costs of repair. Congrats to then for being right out front.  However you have to wonder why the quick acceptance of guilt unless of course there was a known problem with the aircraft that may have dropped the ice. 

Archived