Laser Strikes

J.O.

I know this stuff is not the "cure for cancer" buy if it as good as the video purports, why is it not being installed in aircraft NOW....Even a flip down "sun-visor", but using the clear film that has been produced, would provide protection for approaches,landings, and departures.soapbox.gif.f27bef28d3c90d3b1398bd49a50a3742.gif

1 minute ago, Kip Powick said:

I know this stuff is not the "cure for cancer" buy if it as good as the video purports, why is it not being installed in aircraft NOW....Even a flip down "sun-visor", but using the clear film that has been produced, would provide protection for approaches,landings, and departures.soapbox.gif.f27bef28d3c90d3b1398bd49a50a3742.gif

It's the information they don't give you that's important.  I have no idea what that information might be; won't stick when the windshield is too cold, or too hot, or causes prism effects in bright sun or costs $10,000/aircraft - who knows.

56 minutes ago, J.O. said:

I know this forum really isn't about aviation any more but I thought I'd give this a shot anyways. This technology shows some promise as a defense against laser strikes - and it's Canadian.

Looks good, I'll hold my judgement until I hear what Trump has to say about it.

• 4 months later...

Yet another incident.  Time to invoke the Maximum penalty and ensure that full time is served.

Advertisement

WestJet aircraft hit by laser on approach to airport in Charlottetown

WestJet

A pilot taxis a Westjet Boeing 737-700 plane to a gate after arriving at Vancouver International Airport in Richmond, B.C., on February 3, 2014. (Darryl Dyck / THE CANADIAN PRESS)

facebook-icon.png  
  twitter-icon.png  
  google-icon.png  
  reddit-icon.png  
  share-icon.png  
  print-icon.png  
  email-icon.png  

The Canadian Press
Published Monday, July 17, 2017 10:59AM EDT
Last Updated Monday, July 17, 2017 11:29AM EDT

CHARLOTTETOWN -- RCMP are investigating a report of a green laser being directed into the cockpit of a commercial aircraft as it approached the airport in Charlottetown.

Police said the WestJet passenger aircraft encountered the beam of light at around 11 p.m. Sunday as it flew over the Brackley Beach area of P.E.I.

The laser, which could temporarily blind pilots, shone in the cockpit for about five to 10 seconds. The pilot landed the plane without incident a few minutes later.

RCMP spokeswoman Sgt. Leanne Butler said police are appealing to the public for help after they patrolled the area, but did not find anything.

"We did not find a person last night," said Butler. "If anyone knows who did it, was a witness to it or can point us in the right direction we'll certainly follow up."

Butler said the act of shining a laser at an aircraft is a serious federal offence and could carry fines of up to $100,000 and five years in prison.

"We take it as a very serious matter because it could have dire consequences," she said.

Archived