WS "owns" the UK to Hawaii market?

Super 80

Someone told me this week that WS has without any real effort come to own the UK to Hawaii market, naturally that isn't a large market but it seems like it would be an interesting outcome from the Gatwick experiment. 

Is that plausible or just the Koolaid talking?

3 hours ago, Super 80 said:

Someone told me this week that WS has without any real effort come to own the UK to Hawaii market, naturally that isn't a large market but it seems like it would be an interesting outcome from the Gatwick experiment. 

Kind of a long haul and of course it is all :D upon connections and flights operating ontime, a quick check shows no flights available between LGW and OGG for the rest of Jan and Feb.  .  but return flights from OGG are available.  Not sure why anyone would want to vacation in Hawaii vs all the other sun spots available out of LGW

WS 1853 OGG to YVR
Duration 5h 35m
Operated by WESTJET
WS 714 YVR to YYZ
Duration 4h 25m
Operated by WESTJET
WS 3 YYZ to LGW
Duration 7h 10m
Operated by WESTJET
2 stopsTotal duration 23h 40m

8 hours ago, Super 80 said:

Wow! I get a lot of koolaid talk but this one I haven't heard. 7262 NM with about 500 quality resort destinations enroute and we own that b!tch! :lol:

Hi Innuendo;

Agree. I think southern Europe, the Mediterranean, the Canaries and even Northwest Africa are sun destinations for Brits. LGW > OGG makes no sense just for sun - great circle distance, via LGW > YVR > OGG is the same as YVR > Christchurch, at ~12,000km. Heck, I'd be interested in how many from eastern N.A. holiday in Hawaii vice Florida, Arizona & the Caribbean. ORD > HNL is 10hrs...

Met an awful lot of Brits on many islands in the Caribbean.

Hawaii is nice, took Scuba02 there for the 25th but parts of the islands are just Detroit with palm trees.:lol:

I wouldn't go back, however, one good thing is that the water/beverages  and the food are all ok...no guesswork there.B)

I agree with Maverick - someone was reaching pretty far for some good news when they made this proclamation. British travelers are (for the most part) very price sensitive. Hawaii offers nothing that they can't get in places where they can fly direct in less time while saving significant money.

The time zone change from Europe to Hawaii is another strike against the desireability of this option.

We meet friends from Ireland each year in Maui and getting over the time zone change on each end 

is a pain.  We are there for a month so it is more easily justified for them but if you are looking at less time it takes a bit of the fun out of it.

Archived