Sign in to follow this  
Malcolm

Shootings and Knifings

8 minutes ago, Marshall said:

I removed my entire responses as not sure which one you meant. I also admit my dislike of semi auto weapons (for civilians) is coloured by many encounters with Mr/Mrs blaze away who missing their first shot kept shooting until their magazine was empty with no regard /care as to when their additional rounds were ending up.  And then there were also the ones who talked about their hunt and admitted to taking (sound shots).   

I get what you're saying - I have no respect for someone doing a mag dump as fast as they can pull the trigger.  But, even there, we have to be careful.  As long as they paying the bill who am I to say that they should aim more carefully?  I'm talking paper targets on a range here.  

On the subject of hunting we're in agreement as far as spraying bullets and hoping for a hit but taking one careful shot with a semi and being immediately ready for another careful shot if needed seems acceptable, no?

5 minutes ago, seeker said:

I get what you're saying - I have no respect for someone doing a mag dump as fast as they can pull the trigger.  But, even there, we have to be careful.  As long as they paying the bill who am I to say that they should aim more carefully?  I'm talking paper targets on a range here.  

On the subject of hunting we're in agreement as far as spraying bullets and hoping for a hit but taking one careful shot with a semi and being immediately ready for another careful shot if needed seems acceptable, no?

I agree but my initial response back a couple pages was to the Liberal's gun control bill when I said if they were serious they would have simply banned all semiautomatic weapons. A POV for there was support.  I don't support the ban but since it is now a fact then it is time to remove any doubt as to if a gun is legal or not (despite or because of it's appearance) .

13 minutes ago, Marshall said:

I agree but my initial response back a couple pages was to the Liberal's gun control bill when I said if they were serious they would have simply banned all semiautomatic weapons. A POV for there was support.  I don't support the ban but since it is now a fact then it is time to remove any doubt as to if a gun is legal or not (despite or because of it's appearance) .

So, to fix the confusion created when the libs banned some semi-auto you would suggest banning all of them?  I have a different suggestion - can you guess what it is?  How about unbanning the ones that shouldn't have been banned in the first place.

4 minutes ago, seeker said:

So, to fix the confusion created when the libs banned some semi-auto you would suggest banning all of them?  I have a different suggestion - can you guess what it is?  How about unbanning the ones that shouldn't have been banned in the first place.

That isn't going to happen so the best that can be done is to remove the confusion until at least there is a change in Government and the way Justin isbuying votes I would bet we will be stuck with him and the Liberals for the foreseeable future. 

16 minutes ago, Marshall said:

That isn't going to happen so the best that can be done is to remove the confusion until at least there is a change in Government and the way Justin isbuying votes I would bet we will be stuck with him and the Liberals for the foreseeable future. 

There is a faint hope:

29 minutes ago, seeker said:

There is a faint hope:

Unlike the NRA , this group is not a force to consider influential mainly because Canadians do not have the same love for guns as the Americans do,  so I echo your "faint hope". Neither does Justin appear to give a damn for any changes other than those blessed by his Liberal voters.  Another consideration is one of $$$$$$ . 

U.S. Gun Companies Manufactured A Record 11 Million Firearms In 2016

The gun industry's output doubled over the Obama era -- and it appears likely to keep growing.

2 minutes ago, Marshall said:

Unlike the NRA , this group is not a force to consider influential mainly because Canadians do not have the same love for guns as the Americans do, nor do so I echo your "faint hope".  The other consideration if one of $$$$$$ 

They may not be as influential but the main reason for the "difficulty" in controlling American gun ownership is the Second Amendment to their constitution.

2. You may be understating the participation of Canadians in gun ownership

C. Yup, real expensive and the money to support the lawsuit will roll in by the wheelbarrow full.  If the lawsuit fails it will not be because of a lack of financial support by gun owners.

By $$$$  meant the amount generated by the internal gun sales to US citizens however that is of course a drop in the bucket when compared to the billions generated by US arm  sales to other countries.  Talking about that, will Justin ban sales of the so called assault weapons from being sold to other countries unless they can prove that the arms will not be sold / used by civilians?  😀

1 hour ago, Marshall said:

Talking about that, will Justin ban sales of the so called assault weapons from being sold to other countries unless they can prove that the arms will not be sold / used by civilians?  😀

I don't think there are any Canadian manufacturers of these firearms (for export) - there's no way they could compete on price with the large US guys.

There are a few boutique shops that build high-end versions (maybe a few hundred a year or less) for the Canadian market and Colt Canada which basically just supplies the Canadian military and police contracts.  Of course the boutique shops are now out-of-business since sales are prohibited by the OIC.

Edited by seeker

2 hours ago, seeker said:

I don't think there are any Canadian manufacturers of these firearms (for export) - there's no way they could compete on price with the large US guys.

There are a few boutique shops that build high-end versions (maybe a few hundred a year or less) for the Canadian market and Colt Canada which basically just supplies the Canadian military and police contracts.  Of course the boutique shops are now out-of-business since sales are prohibited by the OIC.

no money to lose so you see my point. now let's talk about support ? Military vehicles as sold to the Saudis. I do not see any restrictions there. You might find the following of interest>

https://www.international.gc.ca/trade-commerce/controls-controles/reports-rapports/military_goods-2018-marchandises_militaires.aspx?lang=eng

https://www.international.gc.ca/controls-controles/report-rapports/mil-2017.aspx?lang=eng

These are ALL the SAME Rifle.  Which one do you think the public though they banned?????  While it isnt banned because its a bolt action.  you get my point.

No photo description available.

Edited by boestar

OK, last one... it's just too easy.

Now, what type of pencil makes people misspell words and what size of spoon makes people fat? 

images-3.jpeg

Edited by Wolfhunter

2 hours ago, Wolfhunter said:

AssaultRifle_Ruger1022-2.png

I had one....When I was 12

Many years ago I was an Air Cadet.  I took up the Position of Rifle Coach.  At that time we shot Lee Enfield .22 bolt action rifles. and Anchutz .22 Bolt action rifles. After taking the courses myself and becoming proficient I coached our Cadets (age 12-19) responsible handling and use of a rifle. and how to make holes in paper.  At many times during my Tenure we were able to take a group up to CFB Borden and Unleash some 7.62mm rounds down the range from the FNC1-A1 Rifle.  Again in a safe and professional manner.  Remember some of these kids were 12 and 13 years old both male and female.  Sometimes it was pretty entertaining to watch the smaller ones with the FN.

I like to believe that those and myself have grown to have the proper respect for Guns and rifles.  I do know many of them that now own rifles and hand guns and now, Thanks to the Liberals, are in possession of what will become prohibited weapons. 

Now Jump forward a decade or 2 from my Cadet days.  The Cadets are using Airsoft Rifles for training.  I see this as a bit of a travesty.  This is a military training organization of which one of its purposes is to produce candidates for the armed forces.  Why dumb it down.  I never heard of an injury or death in my entire tenure as coach.  An Airsoft rifle and a.22 are totally different in the way they behave.  I can shoot someone with an airsoft rifle (there are actually places to do this) so where does respect for the weapon come into play?

Liberalism in the extreme such as we are seeing is destroying the future.  No one will respect anything at this rate.

I have said it here before that some form of mandatory Military training would not be a bad thing and may just teach people a thing or 2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, boestar said:

I had one....When I was 12

I had a 20 gauge shot gun when I was 12 , having been trained safety by my brother ,and approved by my Father.

• Like 1

I was an RSO and coach for Air Cadets as well although in that capacity it was mostly as a CLO. My interest in competitive shooting sports started there at the age of 14 and has lasted a life time. One of the best youth programs in Canada IMO.

Agree on all counts.

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Like 1

Nova Scotia RCMP: Shooter used semi-automatic handguns, rifles, only one traces back to Canada

The Nova Scotia RCMP have given new details on the Nova Scotia shooting spree that took the lives of 22 last month.

According to officials, the shooter used two semi-automatic rifles and two semi-automatic handguns, but only one of the rifles has been traced back to Canada.

"The remaining guns that were recovered are believed to have been obtained from the United States," the RCMP have confirmed.

The calibre of the weapons has not been released.

Regarding the decals on the shooter's car, police say the gunman placed these on his car to disguise his vehicle as an RCMP cruiser. 

Police say they have identified the supplier, who stated that the decals "were created without permission of the business owner. The business owner and individual who made the decals are both cooperating with police."

The RCMP is working with over 500 eye witnesses to obtain more information regarding the shooting spree. Officials have confirmed through eye witnesses that the shooter used what is likely gasoline to help ignite a series of fires. 

"From witness statements, we know the gunman had a significant supply of gasoline at his home in Portapique," the RCMP say.

https://thepostmillennial.com/nova-scotia-rcmp-shooter-used-semi-automatic-handguns-rifles-only-one-traces-back-to-canada/

Numbers at a Glance

• 15-20 million. Guns owned by individuals for protection, hunting, recreation, competition, collecting, predator control, and other beneficial uses.
  • 2,216,509. Men and women with a firearm licence authorized by the federal police (RCMP) at 31 Dec. 2019.
  • 300,000. Adults with a federal firearm licence who own at least one police-registered handgun. (Estimate)
  • 90,000. Canadians (mainly police, law-enforcement and military) allowed or required to carry loaded guns in daily life for personal or public safety. (Estimate)
  • 75,634. AR-15 target rifles registered to individuals at 14 Aug. 2019.
  • 2,400. Federally licensed firearm businesses in Canada.
  • 3,000. Guns bought and sold every day by police-vetted individuals. (Estimate. Roughly 1/3 new and 2/3 used.)
  • 1,400. Target-shooting ranges in Canada. About the same as the number of hospitals.
  • 365. Days each year that people with gun licences get a police screening.
  • 13. Percent of Canadian men who have a firearm licence, or almost one in seven.
  • 13. Percent of Canadian firearm-licence holders who are women.
  • 10. Potential years in jail for not renewing your gun licence on time.
  • 3. Legal classifications for firearms in Canada.
  • 2. Team Canada shooters in the 2016 Summer Olympics. Both were women.
  • 0. Number of violent criminals with firearms who obey firearm laws.

Consider what the government is now saying:

"In intimate partner violence, a woman’s risk of death is higher if her partner owns a gun. This risk is substantially increased for rural and Indigenous women." 

Now consider that gun violence in Canada is statistically lower than most people think and that more than half of that is gang related and that in 2018 (for example)  over half of all shooting victims had criminal records at the time of the shooting. A surprisingly high number of the remaining deaths were suicides which are conveniently included in "gun violence" statistics.

Then consider which group the government made exempt from the new provisions so they could hunt with guns the government just finished banning because "they were not designed for hunting"....

Applying any of this logic to any other regulatory environment, be it vehicle, aviation, business (or whatever) in any analogous manner would be considered ludicrous and invite public ridicule on its merits. 

By my figuring and interpretation of the numbers (hopefully I got it right) some .002 percent of our population own registered AR15s. One thing is for sure though, no legally owned AR15 has ever been used in a mass killing in Canada. But even if I was off a bit, it's pretty clear that this is nothing more than a very clever political ploy designed to play well in vote rich urban areas and serve as a trap for Conservative opponents on the issue. And it will.... in fact, it already has.

Edited by Wolfhunter

20 hours ago, Jaydee said:

the shooter used what is likely gasoline to help ignite a series of fires. 

OK Ban gasoline.

(not even Lizzy May would do that)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Fido said:

OK Ban gasoline.

I never thought of that...

It's clearly the solution to impaired driving, speeding and drive by gang shootings. It would also assist with our Paris Accord compliance.

Do I hear a Liberal amen?

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Wolfhunter said:

I never thought of that...

It's clearly the solution to impaired driving, speeding and drive by gang shootings. It would also assist with our Paris Accord compliance.

Do I hear a Liberal amen?

except for the fuel burned to move our PM around the country or on his vacations  and in particular to his weekend cottage.  😀

• Like 1

I've mentioned this here before but it's now starting to leak slowly into the media. Although not so much the liberal media.... and I think we know why.

As Barbie said, say it loud, say it over and over again and they will totally believe it. Just like black face became brown face and brown face became makeup, in a liberal world, assault rifles can become carbines if you keep saying they are.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/lilley-police-dont-call-them-assault-weapons-why-should-you

BTW, it seems to me that gun sales in Canada are off the charts now.

JT has single handedly sold more rifles in a shorter period of time than any salesman in Canadian history.

Edited by Wolfhunter

Information is slowly being released on the Nova Scotia murders......someone will have some explaining to do....neighbours had reported the violence and illegal weapons YEARS ago (police new the shooter didn’t have a firearms license) and the RCMP did nothing!!

This will be cold comfort to the families that lost loved ones and diminish the already low opinion that this police force can protect the public.

Her husband, who also served in the Canadian Forces, recalled being shown their neighbour’s weapons cache. “He knew I had weapons, being in the military, so he was always one of those guys who had to show others that whatever they had, he had something better,” George Forbes said. Wortman showed him firearms, including pistols and a rifle, in the garage, he said. “We reported that to the police also,” he said. Police have said the gunman didn’t have a licence for his weapons. Brenda Forbes said that after she reported the abuse incident to the RCMP’s Truro detachment, Wortman became more aggressive towards her. George Forbes recalled him coming to the front door and threatening his wife. Brenda Forbes said Wortman would drive around their house and park outside the door. “I was scared. … Even though I’m military and I know how to use a weapon, that man scared the crap out of me,” she said. She said she and her husband left the area in 2014 out of growing fear and discomfort over Wortman’s behaviour.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-neighbour-reported-nova-scotia-mass-shooters-domestic-violence/

Can hardly wait to see the excuse why the RCMP shot up the firehall.