Sign in to follow this  
Malcolm

Shootings and Knifings

Charges also pending under the “Dumb Criminals Act”:

Kingsley Dowrin and Vanessa Cosentino, both 19, face various firearms-related charges while Dowrin also is charged with two counts of failure to comply with probation and with recognizance.

Toronto Police say a bag left behind in a ride-share vehicle contained a loaded handgun.

Around 11 p.m. on Friday, police say a man and a woman put several bags into a ride-share car in the Eglinton Ave. W. and Dufferin St. area.

When they got to their destination, they left one bag behind.

The bag, which was turned over to police, allegedly also contained ammunition and cash. It is also alleged that the gun’s serial number had been tampered with.

Death toll rises to 25 in 'horrendous' arson attack on Mexico bar

Mexican president says at least 13 others injured in an arson attack by suspected gang members in Coatzacoalcos, Mexico.

an hour ago
  •  
  •  

Relatives of one of the victims that died during an attack at a nightclub, cry outside the Veracruz state prosecutors office in Coatzacoalcos, Mexico [Felix Marquez/AP Photo]
Relatives of one of the victims that died during an attack at a nightclub, cry outside the Veracruz state prosecutors office in Coatzacoalcos, Mexico [Felix Marquez/AP Photo]

At least 25 people were killed in an arson attack by suspected gang members on a bar in the southeastern Mexican port of Coatzacoalcos late on Tuesday, President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said, in a fresh blow to his efforts to curb violence.

Calling the attack "horrendous," Lopez Obrador told a regular morning news conference on Wednesday that the deaths occurred after the suspected gang members closed the emergency exits of the bar in Coatzacoalcos and set fire to it.

The attorney general's office of the state of Veracruz said overnight that eight women and 15 men died in the fire at the "Caballo Blanco" bar, and 13 people who were seriously wounded were hospitalised for treatment.

Lopez Obrador said 25 people had died so far and that initial investigations indicated that some suspects behind the attack had been in custody this year and were later released.

Mexico arson attack
Police officers guard the scene outside a bar where more than 20 people died in an overnight attack, in Coatzacoalcos, Mexico [Felix Marquez/AP Photo] 

The attack was one of the worst mass killings since the veteran leftist Lopez Obrador took office in December pledging to pacify Mexico by battling corruption and inequality.

So far, however, the number of murders has continued to rise after hitting record levels in 2018.

The deaths follow an attack in April on another bar in Veracruz in the city of Minatitlan that killed 13 people.

While saying he did not want to blame previous governments, Lopez Obrador, nevertheless, pointed to past policies for laying the groundwork for the crime.

"This is the rotten fruit of the economic policy that was imposed, the policy of pillage," the president said.

Mexico arson attack
A melted no smoking scene is seen from outside a bar, after an attack where more than 20 people died overnight, in Coatzacoalcos, Mexico [Felix Marquez/AP Photo] 

Veracruz state governor Cuitlahuac Garcia suggested in a post on Twitter that the attack was the result of a dispute between gangs.

The Gulf Coast state is a major transit point for drugs making their way north towards the US border and has long been convulsed by violent turf wars between organised crime groups.

Some Mexican media reports said that gunmen had fired shots on the bar before setting it ablaze with Molotov cocktails.

2 hours ago, Marshall said:

convulsed by violent turf wars between organised crime groups.

Some Mexican media reports said that gunmen had fired shots on the bar before setting it ablaze with Molotov cocktails.

Maybe it's just me but Mexico is on the list of places I simply wouldn't go unarmed....

Good thing there is only one authorized gun store in the entire country eh?.... that's right, just one. Legal ownership takes months to process and only applies to specific calibers. The two JT's should take a close look at Mexico's success with gun control measures before embarking on their own version of lunacy.

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Like 2

Frankly, I thought this thread was about Canadian issues...Mexico and the US have their own issues beyond OUR control...it is what it is down there.

39 minutes ago, st27 said:

Frankly, I thought this thread was about Canadian issues...Mexico and the US have their own issues beyond OUR control...it is what it is down there.

I think the title says all "Shootings and Knifings" and of course the first entry was" 

Fort Lauderdale airport shooting: 'Multiple shot dead' by Florida gunman

ST27, you have to read the entire book to understand the story. 😀

1 hour ago, st27 said:

Mexico and the US have their own issues beyond OUR control

The US is the biggest single factor in cross border gun smuggling and the very reason gun control measures aimed at crime reduction in Canada are inherently unsuccessful. What is down there has a huge effect on what is up here... in fact, it is the largest single issue. 

Gun control in the UK is often held up as a model by advocates.... they forget (actually they ignore) the fact that the UK is an island and doesn't share a border with the US. Even so, they are having a bit of bother keeping guns out. What it means for us is that enforcement and interdiction is more relevant than more regulation. Although beyond our direct control, it directly effects our response and the efficacy of our proposed solutions and thus it's of considerable concern to us. 

Edited by Wolfhunter

Ok guys ... I get it...but the shootings and murders are so commonplace in these countries it hardly warrants mentioning. On pg 25 of this thread, I pointed out the problems of cross border smuggling through reserves. It becomes a Canadian problem to stop it.

And to the point of the origin of the thread, yeah, I read the entire book.....from 2017:

“The gun owners would complain, but as demonstrated,which is a greater problem?

On the other hand, with the amount of firearms in the US, and to Kips point, regulation is a non starter. These instances will continue to occur, with law enforcement always playing catch up.”

24 minutes ago, st27 said:

Ok guys ... I get it...but the shootings and murders are so commonplace in these countries it hardly warrants mentioning. On pg 25 of this thread, I pointed out the problems of cross border smuggling through reserves. It becomes a Canadian problem to stop it.

And to the point of the origin of the thread, yeah, I read the entire book.....from 2017:

“The gun owners would complain, but as demonstrated,which is a greater problem?

On the other hand, with the amount of firearms in the US, and to Kips point, regulation is a non starter. These instances will continue to occur, with law enforcement always playing catch up.”

that being the case why then conclude the thread was all about Canadian issues????  I know a lot is about Toronto but the problem is not limited to Ontario, we live in a much larger world.

10 hours ago, st27 said:

Ok....

Indeed...... and this will be here before you know it. It should serve as warning, yet for some reason it fails to resonate with many Canadians. 

In some locations, we have now surpassed a level of gang violence that most people previously considered to lie somewhere between unlikely and impossible in Canada. I say it was completely predictable and it falls squarely under the heading of "no other possible outcome." We have discussed this right here in years gone by.

As predicted (right here) It's too late for avoidance now (that was an opportunity missed), it's time to be spending heavy on intelligence and interdiction and send a strong message to current and future gang bangers; bet we don't though because even simple things are deemed racist. As far as I'm concerned, if you live in public housing and are driving a new $100K vehicle, it bears further scrutiny.... and intelligence collection will never get any easier than that.   

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These occurrences don't receive the attention they deserve IMO. Here is a guy now on his 4th weapons prohibition and despite the headline, actually received a low ball sentence.... out in two. Maybe we should start getting offended about things that are offensive: 

https://leaderpost.com/news/crime/five-year-sentence-for-handgun-possession

At least five dead in Texas random shootings

A truck with bullet holes in its side windowImage copyright AFP Image caption Victims were shot at random, police say

A mass random shooting in the US state of Texas has left at least five people dead and many more injured, police say.

At least one gunman shot randomly at people while driving round an area between the western cities of Odessa and Midland on Saturday afternoon.

A US Postal Service van was hijacked during the incident.

Police now say a suspect has been shot and killed, but reports of other suspects are being investigated.

A police spokesman confirmed five people had been killed and a further 21 had been injured.

"A subject (possibly 2) is currently driving around Odessa shooting at random people," Odessa Police said in an Facebook post at the time of the shootings.

"At this time there are multiple gunshot victims. The suspect just hijacked a US mail carrier truck."

Police in the neighbouring city of Midland said: "We believe there are two shooters in two separate vehicles. The two vehicles in question are: gold/white small Toyota truck and a USPS Postal Van. Please stay away from these areas and stay indoors."

They later posted: "It has been confirmed that the active shooter was shot and killed at the Cinergy [cinema complex] in Odessa. There is no active shooter at this time. All agencies are investigating reports of possible suspects."

In a tweet, US President Donald Trump said he had been briefed on the shootings in Texas.

1 dead, 9 wounded in France after knife attack outside Lyon subway station

Police detained an Afghan man seeking asylum in France after one person was fatally stabbed and nine others injured Saturday outside a subway station in a suburb of Lyon, authorities said. The reason for the attack was unclear.
https://

French police detained an Afghan man who had applied for asylum

The Associated Press · Posted: Aug 31, 2019 6:22 PM ET | Last Updated: an hour ago

Police detained an Afghan man seeking asylum in France after one person was fatally stabbed and nine others injured Saturday outside a subway station in a suburb of Lyon, authorities said.

The reason for the attack remains unclear.

The assailant was a 33-year-old Afghan citizen who had applied for asylum in France and was awaiting a response, a national police official said.

3 hours ago, Marshall said:

Texas random shootings

A pretty good grouping for a 'random' shooting.

11 hours ago, Marshall said:

The assailant was a 33-year-old Afghan citizen who had applied for asylum in France and was awaiting a response, a national police official said.

Probably the reason why his application was on hold ! Another nutcase for the loonie bin. The winner in all this is Afghanistan!

Edited by Jaydee

Good Lord, these sort of memes are (IMO) the vilest form of liberalism and the domain of those who actually created the problem they now project on Christians and Conservatives.... a form of deliberate willful, agenda driven false narratives.

They compare the horror of aborting the entire population of YQT (every year) with people who train hard and compete in a variety of shooting disciplines on the provincial national, and international stage. This level of ignorance, arrogance and stupidity perpetuates the myth and serves as a hinderance to real solutions. The sooner stupid is vanquished by reason, the better off we will be. If you find the times "interesting" you are part of the problem and well worthy of the contempt you seek to foist on others. Pick a range in Canada, join a club; statistically, you are more likely to be injured ice skating. I know you are smart enough to realize that.... stop pretending you aren't .

Edited by Wolfhunter

While you may dismiss this as vile liberalism, the fact is that it is that demographic in the U.S. which has made it a talking point.

Send them your thoughts and prayers...

2 minutes ago, deicer said:

it is that demographic in the U.S. which has made it a talking point.

And what demographic would that be? Competitive shooters opposed to murdering 200,000 plus babies a year.... shake your head!

3 minutes ago, Wolfhunter said:

And what demographic would that be? Competitive shooters opposed to murdering 200,000 plus babies a year.... shake your head!

Wading in, aborting because you are too lazy to take preventions  is not the same as abortions to save the mother.  Shooting people at random because you are mental ( you have to be) is of course not the same as shooting game, opponents  in war, paper targets or skeet.  But of course you know that.  Right?  😀😀

If applied to any other subject, the causal relationships would be viewed as absurd. 

It's a proven fact that road construction results in an increase in boating accidents.... do people seriously lack the experience to interpret what is and isn't? Guess what, both activities occur in the summer. Maybe it's the golfers eh? Just the other day at the gym I heard that FA's only marry pilots because they make lots of money. 

Your point is well taken though (assuming I got it). Railing against a world of stupid is thirsty work.

Stand stupidity on its head for just a moment, show me a competitive shooter in favour of shooting children..... I'll grab a coffee while I await enlightened responses.

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Wolfhunter said:

I'll grab a coffee while I await enlightened responses.

Times up.... off to bed. 

If it doesn't make sense when stood on its head it's simply a T-shirt slogan unworthy of further consideration.

The DNC had best get with the program here too and offer up more than tired, recycled slogans that only serve to annoy people who weren't previously annoyed. Could winning this election possibly be easier? It only takes a memory that's longer than a guppy and/or the lack of manifest, certifiable lunacy to carry the day. JT is a better candidate than the current field. My cat is a better candidate.... stop it! 

Edited by Wolfhunter

September 2, 2019 9:31 am
Updated: September 2, 2019 10:22 am

Police investigate after shots fired in northeast Calgary

carolyn-kury-smile.png?w=40&h=40&crop=1& By Carolyn Kury de Castillo Reporter  Global News
  •  

Calgary police investigate shots fired Sunday, Sept. 1, 2019 near Temple Drive and 52 Street.

Calgary police investigate shots fired Sunday, Sept. 1, 2019 near Temple Drive and 52 Street.

Craig Hooper, Global News
-A A +

Calgary police are investigating after reports of shots being fired in a northeast neighbourhood Sunday night.

At around 9 p.m., police responded to Temple Drive near the intersection of 52 Street NE after residents called saying they saw people in vehicles heading east on Temple Drive shooting at each other.

Police say multiple shell casings were found in the area.

The investigation continues, with police looking for surveillance video and getting statements from possible witnesses.

Here is the next phase of what (I fear) is to come... it's the weapon of choice in some other parts of the world and stand off delivery options could potentially make the AR 15 pale in comparison. Chasing symptoms will prove problematic in the long term IMO. Sadly, there are too many easy options and too few easy solutions. Those who hunger for easy solutions may have to tighten their belts as easy gets harder and harder to digest.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/new-jersey-labour-day-parade-cancelled-after-destructive-devices-found-near-route-1.4574690?cache=%3FclipId%3D64268

This is likely to catch on and become the delivery method of choice IMO:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/israeli-aircraft-strike-targets-in-gaza-after-drone-attack-1.4582638?cache=yes%3FautoPlay%3Dtrue%3FclipId%3D89926%3FclipId%3D104062%3FautoPlay%3Dtrue%3FclipId%3D375756%3FclipId%3D89619%3FclipId%3D89619%3FautoPlay%3Dtrue%3FclipId%3D86116%3FclipId%3D89680%3FclipId%3D89926%3FclipId%3D89926%3FautoPlay%3Dtrue%3FautoPlay%3Dtrue

Edited by Wolfhunter