Sign in to follow this  
Malcolm

Shootings and Knifings

2 hours ago, Jaydee said:

Yayyyyyy.  We agree on at least something ! :thumbup:

I am hoping that you are in agreement with the sentiment that the U.S. government backing gun rights is a bad thing.

If not, then please do not associate me with anything approving the gun culture in the U.S.

:thumbup:

We agree...Gun culture in the States is totally out of control. When there are 15,000 more outlets to buy guns than there are groceries, doesn’t take a genius to recognize there is a huge problem.

http://www.businessinsider.com/more-gun-stores-in-america-than-grocery-stores-2012-12

On the flip side, I also believe it will never change ( at least in my lifetime) when you have generation after generation after generation indoctrinated into a Military culture. Guns are a “way of life” to a vast number of citizens. A few years back I had a chat with an acquaintance from the US. He carries THREE guns in his motor home at all times. One in the bedroom, one in the washroom and one near the front entrance door. 

‘The  political and financial influence of the NRA cannot be under stated. Wrong on all levels In my opinion. That said you cannot blame Trump for this mess as it existed for decades long before he was elected under numerous Presidents of both stripes. He is simply the resident President who will (probably) do SFA about it. In order to solve this problem one would basically have to reinvent the country starting from scratch. Fat chance that will ever happen.

After Sandy Hook, Obama vowed he was going to do something about it and failed miserably.

Apparantly Trump has scheduled a news conference today...will be interesting to see if it’s the same old same old...or something new.

Disclaimer...

Just because we happen to agree on this one stance does in no way mean we even have a snowballs chancing in he** in ever agreeing on any political ideologies.

...just saying........

Edited by Jaydee

This guy has his head screwed on properly....a comment I found on the Net today...

” Yeah pass another law.   We have a generation of kids now that have no idea what bathroom to use and eat Tide Pods as a snack.   I am not so sure another law to be broken would have changed this situation or that the NRA had anything to do with this kids upbringing.  That would be the fault of the parents and our society. This was caused by the Pussification of America and parents allowing the government to raise their kids instead of doing the jobs themselves.  “ 

Edited by Jaydee

4 hours ago, Jaydee said:

:thumbup:

We agree...Gun culture in the States is totally out of control. When there are 15,000 more outlets to buy guns than there are groceries, doesn’t take a genius to recognize there is a huge problem.

http://www.businessinsider.com/more-gun-stores-in-america-than-grocery-stores-2012-12

On the flip side, I also believe it will never change ( at least in my lifetime) when you have generation after generation after generation indoctrinated into a Military culture. Guns are a “way of life” to a vast number of citizens. A few years back I had a chat with an acquaintance from the US. He carries THREE guns in his motor home at all times. One in the bedroom, one in the washroom and one near the front entrance door. 

‘The  political and financial influence of the NRA cannot be under stated. Wrong on all levels In my opinion. That said you cannot blame Trump for this mess as it existed for decades long before he was elected under numerous Presidents of both stripes. He is simply the resident President who will (probably) do SFA about it. In order to solve this problem one would basically have to reinvent the country starting from scratch. Fat chance that will ever happen.

After Sandy Hook, Obama vowed he was going to do something about it and failed miserably.

Apparantly Trump has scheduled a news conference today...will be interesting to see if it’s the same old same old...or something new.

Disclaimer...

Just because we happen to agree on this one stance does in no way mean we even have a snowballs chancing in he** in ever agreeing on any political ideologies.

...just saying........

Happy to see that as Canadians we can at least agree on one thing!  :b::b:

As for other political ideologies, I think you would be surprised if we sat down over a beer and discussed it.  I just don't agree about liking Trump. :box:

Emotional request for Trump to fix the gun problem.  Like most celebs there is a disconnect with reality, Trump, even if he wanted, would have no way to change the current US gun laws without full agreement of the House and the Senate and of course the individual states. What Kimmel should have asked is that all voters in the US put pressure on their State and Federal representatives to make the change.

Jimmy Kimmel Makes Emotional Plea To President Trump After Florida Shooting: ‘Children Are Being Murdered’

http://www.dw.com/en/8-facts-about-gun-control-in-the-us/a-40816418

Matt Walsh:

” As we argue over who and what is to blame for the Florida school shooting, it seems we have lost sight of the fact that the one and only person to blame for the shooting is the shooter. From the way we discuss this massacre (and every other), you'd think that it was carried out by some kind of robot, compelled by an outside force to go and slaughter 17 innocent people. You'd think he was forced into it by a certain political party or a certain organization or even by the gun he was carrying. You'd think there must be a whole parade of people and things to blame for this horrible act — except the guy who acted.

We ask a million questions in the aftermath of the crime: What law could have prevented it? Should guns be outlawed? Which political party can we pin this on? Was the killer a white nationalist? Did he support Trump? Did he hate Trump? So on and so on. But the one question we seem to avoid is the one that matters most: Why would a person choose to do something like this?

And even if we do ask that question, we're likely to arrive at a conclusion that absolves the murderer of personal guilt. We're likely to shrug our shoulders and say, "Well, mental illness." And then we start clamoring for a "national conversation" about it. But our national conversation is rather pointless because nobody can explain mental illness or define it. Our best answer is that a mental illness is something in your brain that makes you do extremely bad things. Therefore, anyone who does extremely bad things is mentally ill. The bad thing isn't their fault; it's the symptom of a disease.

The shooter's defense team says the poor guy is "troubled" and they're "exploring the possibility of autism." I don't personally care about his mental troubles or whatever alleged psychiatric disorder they can tag on him (and I'm sure they can tag him with several). Here's the only thing we need to know: Did he know what he was doing when he did it, and did he know it was wrong?

Well, his defense team (stupidly) has also said that the shooter is deeply sorry for his actions and he understands the gravity of what he did. In other words, he's not crazy. He's fully responsible for his behavior. 100%. A crazy man is a man who has no concept of reality and truly does not understand that he isn't supposed to kill people. You know a man like that when you see him. He's sitting on a park bench yelling at himself. He's not hatching a sophisticated assault on his local high school, complete with a pretty smart escape plan.

Sure, he's mentally disordered. His mind is not properly ordered. Everyone's mind is disordered. We are a deeply imperfect species with deeply imperfect minds. Flip through the latest addition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders sometime and you'll find dozens of mental disorders that apply to you. They've got a mental disorder to explain every errant human behavior or desire ever conceived by man. They have completely medicalized evil, diagnosed it, medicated it, cataloged it. Yet even you, with your 20 or 30 mental disorders, would not grab a rifle and shoot up a school. This guy did. Why?

Because he made a choice. An evil choice. A choice rooted not in his brain but in his mind — that is, his soul. It was an act of evil committed by an evil man who had the same motivation as every other evil man in history. He wanted power, fame, revenge. He wanted a thrill. He wanted to punish the world for rejecting him. He wanted to punish God for creating him. He wanted the same things all bad people do. It's really not so mysterious or difficult to understand. He made a choice.

And now all of the blame, anger, fury, resentment, should fall squarely on his shoulders and his shoulders alone.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/27227/walsh-one-single-person-blame-florida-school-matt-walsh

Edited by Jaydee
  • Like 1

I can't remember who, but someone of historical significance once said something along the lines of; 'when a nation gives up on morality, it will crumble'.

Back before the dawn of the social justice club and their warriors, crap like this NEVER happened.

For the last 25, or so years kids seem to have been conditioned to believe the world revolves around them. Everything is about 'their Rights, their expectations, they call adults by their first names, no one fails the year in grade school, awards are given to the loser in a competition etc., etc..

Now, when spoiled little Billy gets to high school and finds out he's not as good at whatever as others he falls apart mentally. Billy may decide take up life in his bedroom where he exists locked safely away with a device that takes him to fantastical places where he's free to become whatever, or whomever he chooses. At some point the kid may start to feel empowered and justified to lay blame for his real world shortcomings on everyone else, which may in some cases lead to a lethal rampage.

Guns aren't the problem!  

If guns aren't the problem, then please explain the logic of why countries that have gun control laws do not have these mass shootings on such a frequent basis?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DEFCON said:

I can't remember who, but someone of historical significance once said something along the lines of; 'when a nation gives up on morality, it will crumble'.

Back before the dawn of the social justice club and their warriors, crap like this NEVER happened.

For the last 25, or so years kids seem to have been conditioned to believe the world revolves around them. Everything is about 'their Rights, their expectations, they call adults by their first names, no one fails the year in grade school, awards are given to the loser in a competition etc., etc..

Now, when spoiled little Billy gets to high school and finds out he's not as good at whatever as others he falls apart mentally. Billy may decide take up life in his bedroom where he exists locked safely away with a device that takes him to fantastical places where he's free to become whatever, or whomever he chooses. At some point the kid may start to feel empowered and justified to lay blame for his real world shortcomings on everyone else, which may in some cases lead to a lethal rampage.

Guns aren't the problem!  

Guns are the tool of choice..... A Mechanic cant work without tools, neither can a shooter work without a gun.

Well, like I tried to suggest, guns were readily available to anyone and everyone 25 years ago and back, yet we didn't have ANY of the gun related terror we witness today.

As I said; 'guns aren't the problem'.'

• Like 1

check your history.  The US has ALWAYS had the highest gun violence rates.

I posted this page before, and here it is again.  A live tracker of all gun violence incidents in the U.S. with news links.

http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

That, my friends, is the truth about gun violence in the United States.

Edited to add:

What you are seeing on the home page are the numbers just for the last 47 days, as of Friday Feb. 16, 2018.

Edited by deicer

From the web

"Over 37,000 people die in road crashes each year

• An additional 2.35 million are injured or disabled
  • Over 1,600 children under 15 years of age die each year
  • Nearly 8,000 people are killed in crashes involving drivers ages 16-20
  • Road crashes cost the U.S. $230.6 billion per year, or an average of $820 per person
  • Road crashes are the single greatest annual cause of death of healthy U.S. citizens traveling abroad"

Being cars are tools and major purveyors of death & other forms of careless mayhem, why do we let pretty much everyone have access to them?

https://www.cnn.com/2017/10/03/americas/us-gun-statistics/index.html

The US has one of the highest rates of death by firearm in the developed world, according to World Health Organization data.

In Australia, for example, four mass shootings occurred between 1987 and 1996. After those incidents, public opinion turned against gun ownership and Parliament passed stricter gun laws. Australia hasn't had a mass shooting since.

Our calculations based on OECD data from 2010 show that Americans are 51 times more likely to be killed by gunfire than people in the United Kingdom.
Americans own the most guns per person in the world, about four in 10 saying they either own a gun or live in a home with guns, according to a 2017 Pew Center study. Forty-eight percent of Americans said they grew up in a house with guns.
According to the survey, a majority (66%) of US gun owners own multiple firearms, with nearly three-quarters of gun owners saying they couldn't imagine not owning one.
Yemen, home to the world's second-largest gun-owning population per capita (and a country in the throes of a three-year-old civil conflict) trails significantly behind the US in terms of ownership.
When it comes to gun massacres, the US is an anomaly.
There are more public mass shootings in America than in any other country in the world.

Globally, the US sees fewer gun-related murders than many of its southern neighbors.
According to the Small Arms Survey, El Salvador is currently home to the most gun-related murders in the world (excluding active war-zones) with guns killing more than 90 people for every 100,000 of population.
From 2010-2015, Honduras saw the highest averages of gun-related homicides, with guns killing 67 out of every 100,000 people there.
Venezuela and El Salvador are close behind over the same five-year period, with 52 and 49 gun-related deaths, respectively, for every 100,000 of population.
The US rate over that period is 4.5 gun-related homicides per 100,000 people. US law enforcement agencies are not required to report on gun killings by police. Often, such incidents are recorded as "justifiable homicides," and may or may not be included in official homicide statistics, according to the Small Arms Survey.

2 minutes ago, deicer said:

C'mon Malcolm, 

You should know that it's CNN, so it's Fake News ;)

So you think CNN publishes "Fake News"?  I don't remember saying that :D

1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

So you think CNN publishes "Fake News"?  I don't remember saying that :D

Nope, you never have and I wouldn't accuse you of it either, however there are those who shout it from the hill tops.......