Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Malcolm

Our Prime Minister

400 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, boestar said:

You guys do know that Allah is used in the bible in reference to God and that the 2 are interchangeable, right?

I guess that's why he visits mosques in almost every city he travels to.

Results of the G20 are in.....

IMG_5081.JPG

1 person likes this

Trudeau to visit Calgary Stampede, last min. decision.

59677222ddd77_trudeautovisit.jpg.74bbf958a8f4fc7b5a4fac1834b3f0fd.jpg

1 person likes this

^That's a fail, there is a gender designation on the porta pottie which we now know is incorrect. It should just have a "U"

3 hours ago, mo32a said:

^That's a fail, there is a gender designation on the porta pottie which we now know is incorrect. It should just have a "U"

what is wrong with Male, female and Handicapped?    Seems to me to cover whatever you identify with. 

42 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Seems to me to cover whatever you identify with. 

Not according to the Alberta government.

As of last week you can order a birth certificate with a gender description of U.  I guess for undecided or maybe undetermined or unsure maybe even unbelievable.  

11 hours ago, Fido said:

Not according to the Alberta government.

As of last week you can order a birth certificate with a gender description of U.  I guess for undecided or maybe undetermined or unsure maybe even unbelievable.  

Typical crap legislation. Re Alberta, although they passed a bill to allow it, the forms (pdf files)  currently on their website do not provide for anything other than M or F

but they are not the only ones:

Canadians less than enthusiastic about gender-neutral identification: Poll

BY LIZ BRAUN, TORONTO SUN

FIRST POSTED: FRIDAY, JULY 07, 2017 03:00 AM EDT | UPDATED: FRIDAY, JULY 07, 2017 11:34 AM EDT

Related Stories

Should there be gender-neutral identification available on government-issued documents?

According to a new poll, Canadians are divided down the middle on this contemporary subject, with roughly half (49%) in favour of gender-neutral identification for those who want it, and the other half (51%) opposed.

That changes, however, if the government document in question is a birth certificate.

The Angus Reid poll on the issue shows that a majority of Canadians (58%) are against any plans to issue gender-neutral birth certificates upon request.

GenderMetho.jpg

Ontario is already working on a gender-neutral option for birth certificates; just more than half of the Canadians polled (51%) said they had neither seen nor heard anything about this.

Nonetheless, the provincial government said in May that plans are underway to issue, to those who want them, birth certificates that do not show the sex of the person. (Several provinces including Ontario are already removing gender ID from health cards and give the options M, F or X on provincial driver’s licenses.)

A majority in the province (57%) is against such changes to the birth certificate, with 36% saying they are strongly opposed. Those polled in Quebec likewise worked out to be 57% opposed.

Gender1.jpg

Moving west across the country, opposition increases.

The legislature in Alberta passed a bill late last year that will permit a non-binary option on birth certificates, but public opinion in that province runs at 62% opposed to such an idea.

The figure rises to 65% in Manitoba and to 75% opposed in Saskatchewan, with British Columbia sitting at 60% against gender-neutral birth certificates upon request.

Only in Atlantic Canada does the majority approve, with 55% of those polled supporting such a change in their provinces.

Gender2.jpg

Perhaps not surprisingly, the statistics relate to age, gender and political beliefs; men over 55 are highly opposed (71%) to gender-neutral birth certificates (versus women in the same age group, who are 57% against).

Gender4.jpg

Furthermore, those who voted Conservative in the 2015 federal election are 77% against their province issuing gender-neutral birth certificates. NDP voters are 53% opposed, while Liberal voters are 54% in favour of such document choices.

Gender5.jpg

Interestingly, people who have followed recent media stories about this issue tend to support gender-neutral birth certificates (51%); people who haven’t read or heard anything about it tend to oppose (62%).

Read the full report here

Why is a birth certificate more contentious than other forms of ID? The Angus Reid poll speculates, “Opposition could be born out of status-quo bias – a preference for continuity and a belief that change is synonymous with loss. This may explain why Canadians are more supportive of gender-neutral identification in theory than they are of putting it into practice in their province. Or, it could be driven by uncertainty as to how the Ontario proposal would work – something the provincial government is still trying to figure out.”

lbraun@postmedia.com

Posted (edited)

As far as I know, there are only two chromosomal arrangements that conclusively indicate a persons sex. I think it's safe to assume that identification documents that have to make sense, forensic reports for instance, will NEVER include 'U' designations.

PS: In days past when a baby was born expressing both male & female parts, a hermaphrodite, the physician would often make an informed 'guess' and surgically assign sex. Today, the surgeon relies on 'genetics' to inform and by doing so the patient is spared the obvious lifelong psychological trauma that used to follow bad guesses.

Edited by DEFCON

12 minutes ago, DEFCON said:

As far as I know, there are only two chromosomal arrangements that conclusively indicate a persons sex. I think it's safe to assume that identification documents that have to make sense, forensic reports for instance, will NEVER include 'U' designations.

Seems that it isn't quite that simple, go figure. 

PETER MCKNIGHT

Think gender comes down to X and Y chromosomes? Think again

PETER MCKNIGHT

Special to The Globe and Mail

Published Thursday, Jun. 04, 2015 5:00PM EDT

Last updated Thursday, Jun. 04, 2015 4:44PM EDT

Peter McKnight is an adjunct professor in the School of Criminology at Simon Fraser University.

So which washroom is Caitlyn Jenner supposed to use? If you haven’t been keeping up with the Kardashians, you probably haven’t heard that Caitlyn is the name former Olympian and Kardashian patriarch Bruce Jenner has given herself.

And if you haven’t been keeping up with transgender issues, you probably haven’t heard that these things always come down to washrooms. Those who oppose all matters transgender inevitably get their knickers in a knot about who belongs in which washroom.

Witness the Senate’s recent efforts to gut NDP MP Randall Garrison’s transgender rights bill by exempting washrooms from its purview. And witness Conservative Senator Donald Plett’s comments that “vulnerable women” need to be protected from “biological males” who might enter the women’s washroom.

For many people, biology defines sex, and sex is always a binary affair. Sure, postmodernists have been playing with the concept of gender for decades, but sex, well, sex is sacred, which means you’re either biologically male or female. But never both. Or neither.

But biology doesn’t work that way. Biological phenomena don’t necessarily fit into human-ordained binary categories. So while humans insist that you’re either male or female – that you have either XY or XX sex chromosomes – biology begs to differ.

For example, genetic men with Klinefelter syndrome possess an extra X chromosome (XXY) or more rarely, two or three extra Xs (XXXY, XXXXY); they typically produce low levels of testosterone, leading to less-developed masculine sexual characteristics and more-developed feminine characteristics than other men. In contrast, some men receive an extra Y chromosome (XYY) in the genetic lottery, and while they have been referred to as “supermales” that is more sensationalism than science.

Genetic women with Turner syndrome have only one X chromosome; they often display less-developed female sexual characteristics than other women. And people with a genetic mosaic possess XX chromosomes in some cells and XY in others. So how do we determine if they’re male or female? Hint: Don’t say that it depends on the chromosomal makeup of the majority of their cells, since women with more than 90 per cent XY genetic material have given birth.

Even if you get the “right” combination of sex chromosomes, it’s no guarantee that you’ll fit into the carefully circumscribed human definitions of male and female.

For example, genetic women (XX) with congenital adrenal hyperplasia produced unusually high levels of virilizing hormones in utero and develop stereotypically masculine sexual characteristics, including masculinized genitals.

Similarly, genetic men (XY) with complete androgen insensitivity syndrome don’t respond to male hormones and fail to develop masculine sexual characteristics. Most live their lives as women. Some historians suggest that Joan of Arc, Elizabeth I and Wallis Simpson all suffered from this syndrome.

So what’s the answer? There isn’t one, at least if we’re looking for the answer in biology. We must not fall back on biology. Rather, we must always remember that it is we, not biology, who decide who counts as male or female. And it is we who must take responsibility for our decisions.

And sometimes chromosomal rearrangements and deletions can result in a person being born with three legs, cancer and all kinds of other copy mistakes & maladies, but fortunately, not too many of these aberrations get beyond the first trimester. When it comes to sexual assignment, there aren't anywhere near enough of the kind of mistakes described in the article to normalize human sexual preferences with a biological 'U' either. 

He does like to avoid stressful situations so not surprised that he did not call ....

Trudeau says he did not reach out to soldier's widow in wake of Khadr payout

'I did not reach out and I have no comment on what the former prime minister did,' says Trudeau

By Peter Zimonjic, Brennan MacDonald, Rosemary Barton, CBC NewsPosted: Jul 14, 2017 9:10 PM ET Last Updated: Jul 14, 2017 10:27 PM ET

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he did not reach out to Tabitha Speer in the wake of his government's decision to apologize and compensate Omar Khadr. 

Speaking to reporters in Rhode Island after delivering the keynote speech at the National Governors Association conference on Friday, Trudeau also would not comment on reports former prime minister Stephen Harper called both Speer and wounded U.S. soldier Layne Morris after the settlement became public. 

"I did not reach out and I have no comment on what the former prime minister did," he said. 

Earlier this month, the federal government formally apologized to Canadian-born Khadr, giving the former Guantanamo Bay prisoner a reported settlement of $10.5 million. 

In 2002, when Khadr was 15, he was captured by U.S. troops in Afghanistan after a firefight that resulted in the death of U.S. Sgt. Christopher Speer and the wounding of U.S. Sgt. Layne Morris. 

In 2010, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled that Canadian officials had failed to protect Khadr's rights under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms while he was detained in Cuba. Based on that ruling, Khadr's lawyers were suing the federal government for $20 million in damages.  

On Friday, Trudeau offered his sympathy to Morris and Speer's widow, saying he could not imagine the "anguish those families have gone through and are going through" and noting the situation is an extremely difficult one. 

"I understand how Canadians are troubled by this, including by the settlement, as am I," Trudeau said, explaining that he made the decision to settle with Khadr because he was advised that pursuing the matter through the courts could have ended up costing taxpayers four times as much. 

Trudeau, who has been facing a public backlash since the settlement was leaked to the press, also repeated his hope that future governments understant that when a citizen's charter rights are violated, it will end up costing taxpayers. 

'Orchestrated leak'

One of Khadr's lawyers, John Phillips, told CBC News Network's Power & Politics he was surprised at the public backlash, but suspects that is why the information was leaked to the press in the first place. 

"It strikes me as it was orchestrated by someone inside government that leaked information to cause the embarrassment to the Trudeau government for doing what it did," Phillips said. 

The lawyer also said that if Khadr asked him, he would advise not giving any money to Speer or Morris because of the potential legal problems it could cause. Politics News

Reaction to settlement ‘strikes me as orchestrated’ by someone within government, Omar Khadr’s lawyer says

Utah court judgment in question

Since the federal government settled with Khadr, Speer's widow and Morris have been trying to pursue the settlement in the courts. Part of that effort is to have a 2015 Utah court judgment for $134.1 million in favour of Speer and Morris made enforceable in Canada.

"Well, there are standard sets of enforcement techniques to have the judgment from Utah recognized in Canada," said Phillips. "I think it is a universal legal view that they don't have a lot of chance of getting it enforced."

Omar Khadr's lawyer on Canadian reaction to settlement8:37

Lawyers for Speer and Morris also tried to have Khadr's assets frozen, but this week that effort failed when Ontario Superior Court Justice Edward Belobaba refused the request. 

"I think there were several reasons why that injunction didn't have a chance to go ahead. But it was defeated on the basis of a lack of evidence," Phillips said.

CSIS suit

In an unrelated case, Phillips is representing five CSIS employees suing for $35 million in damages for allegedly suffering racist, sexist and homophobic discrimination by management and colleagues at Canada's spy agency.

Asked about the suit Friday in Rhode Island, Trudeau was quick to say action was being taken. 

"Harassment, discrimination, toxic work environments are things that I, this government, find absolutely unacceptable, and I can also assure you that the new director of CSIS David Vigneault also finds that to be unacceptable," Trudeau said.

"I am confident that director Vigneault is working very hard to ensure that we get to the bottom of this issue."  

Phillips told Barton that the claimants tried to resolve their issues internally at CSIS, but "it just never happened, and so they were forced to court."Politics News

An Albertan is walking along a beach when he comes across a lamp partially buried in the sand. He picks up the lamp and gives it a rub. A large genie appears out of the bottle and tells him he has been granted one wish.

The guy thinks for a moment and says, "I want to live forever."
"Sorry," said the genie, "I'm not allowed to grant eternal life."
"OK, then, I want to die after a Liberal government balances the budget and eliminates the debt."

The genie stared at him a second or two then says …… "You crafty little **bleep**."

1 person likes this

Good joke!

The Trudeau / Khadr story seems to have gained legs in the US today. A number of little T supporters have been on American TV attempting to distance themselves from the source on this one.

That was great, thanks for the lft Jaydee!

It sounds like something that might have been written during the Sgt. Pepper era.

OMG, here I am saying "Good for you Justin".  The press and others are making much-ado about nothing. I am certain that she will be very good representative for Canada, internally and externally

Trudeau defends his choice for governor general amid revelations about her past

Julie Payette was once subject of criminal probe for assault in U.S., but charges were dropped

By John Paul Tasker, CBC NewsPosted: Jul 20, 2017 2:41 PM ET Last Updated: Jul 20, 2017 4:16 PM ET

Former astronaut, and future governor general, Julie Payette faced an assault charge while living in Maryland, but it was ultimately dropped. (Fred Chartrand/Canadian Press)

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is defending his pick for governor general after it was revealed she struck and killed a pedestrian while driving and was once the subject of a criminal probe for assault.

Trudeau said Thursday his team did a thorough vet of Julie Payette, a former astronaut who will assume the largely ceremonial post in the fall, and there is nothing in her past that disqualifies her for the job.

"I assure everyone that there are no issues that arose in the course of that vetting process that would be any reason to expect Mme. Payette to be anything other than the extraordinary governor general that she will be," he said, calling her among Canada's "very best.

Trudeau on Julie Payette1:10

Two issues have emerged since the prime minister announced her appointment last week. First, Payette was charged with second-degree assault when she lived in Maryland in 2011, but it was later dismissed by prosecutors and the case was "expunged" from her record. Payette has dismissed the assault allegations.

"For family and personal reasons, I will not comment on these unfounded charges, of which I was immediately and completely cleared many years ago, and I hope that people will respect my private life," Payette said in an statement.

Second, Payette was involved in a fatal car accident in which she was not found at fault. The Toronto Star reported the car accident Wednesday and spoke to the family of the late Theresa Potts, a recovering alcoholic who was on her way to an AA meeting at the time of the incident.

Payette divorced her former husband, Billie Flynn, a test pilot with Lockheed Martin in the Washington, D.C., area, shortly after the 2011 car collision.

"Obviously, our hearts go out to the family affected by this tragic accident — it's a terrible and tragic thing," Trudeau said.

Trudeau said the vetting process "raised absolutely no issues," and his talks with the future vice-regal didn't focus on her past.

"The conversations I had with Mme. Payette centred around the extraordinary service, her vision for the country, her vision of the role that she would fulfill as governor general and demonstrated to me her extraordinary strength in being one of our great governor generals."

Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer said Trudeau has some questions to answer about the vetting process, but he would not comment on matters in her personal life.

"My position on her nomination has not changed," Scheer told reporters Thursday. "I indicated my support for her nomination when it was first announced."

I hope we are not footing the bill for his desire to march in yet another parade!

July 21, 2017 6:03 am

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau explores Nova Scotia ahead of role in Pride Parade

By Staff The Canadian Press"Prime Minister Justin Trudeau addresses the National Governors Association on Friday, July 14, 2017, in Providence, R.I. " />;Prime Minister Justin Trudeau addresses the National Governors Association on Friday, July 14, 2017, in Providence, R.I.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is expected to visit children at a summer camp in Nova Scotia today.

Trudeau is scheduled to stop into Out and About Day Camp in Shelburne before heading to Kejimkujik National Park Seaside in Port Joli.

Later, Trudeau is expected to appear at a Liberal Party Laurier Club reception at the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia in Halifax.

Trudeau is set to take part in the Saturday’s Pride Parade in Halifax.

READ MORE: Justin Trudeau to march in Halifax Pride Parade

He became the first sitting prime minister to march in a Pride parade when he did so in Toronto in 2016, then attended the same event last month.

I wish he would just come out of the closet and be done with it !

1 person likes this

I can't get over the way he sits, he's got to be a closeted 'gurl'.

1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, DEFCON said:

I can't get over the way he sits, he's got to be a closeted 'gurl'.

IMG_2367.JPG