Millenial Question

deicer

Really enjoyed that....so much truth in it. Forwarded it to my kids, (not Millennials), cause they work with many !!

To add to this gentleman's remarks  about cellphones......

What we do..... When we go out with a group, or a few couples for dinner, almost everyone takes their cell. But so far I have managed to avoid anyone using their cell at the table by using this trick.

Have everyone take out their cells and put them in the centre of the table and agree to this.......The first one that uses their cell in any manner during their time  with us pays  for dinner for the entire table.:o

So far it has worked even though a couple of people have been really "antsy" when their phone rings,.................. or there is a discussion where one could Google the answer on their phone.....enjoy.:D

Whenever I hear experts speak on this topic I wonder where these people are, because I have never met them. I have never heard millennials talk about the existential angst they're experiencing because they aren't having a sufficient purpose or impact.

The millennials I know and work with are fraught with financial and housing anxiety, nothing else even registers.

" The millennials I know and work with are fraught with financial and housing anxiety, nothing else even registers. "

Super 80, that describes precisely the "Millennials" my wife and I see and know, except to add that they are nose-to-the-grindstone, working their asses off, in skilled jobs or professions, and not waiting for or expecting hand-outs, from anyone or any agency. Also, as a group they are really health-conscious.

We use the same approach to mobile phones and have great fun with "the enforcement of basic table manners", when dining together.

As far as I can tell the entire "millennial" narrative is made up of an echo chamber of young people (and supposed experts on young people) who work in the media who across the entire United States probably inhabit fifty city blocks or less over half a dozen cities.

A few years ago I had to sit through a diatribe by one of these "experts" and nothing he was saying rang true. The woman sitting next to me pointed out that the "millennial lifestyle" this **bleep** was rambling on about was basically a mash-up of Friends, Sex in the City and several Gen-X slacker movies.

To my non-expert eye, this Gen-X, Millenial thing is all about perception.  Baby-boomers were carefree and self-absorbed in their teens and early twenties and as they got older started resenting the same from the generation following them.  Gen-X folks who are now in their mid- to late-forties resent the Millenials for the same perpetual reasons.  It's not about the date you were born, but rather the age you're at now and how you perceive the younger members of society.  The expression "Kids, these days" transcends generations and labels.  At least that's how I see it....

In my volunteer work I have rubbed shoulders with a number of the dreaded "Millenials".  Not much to my surprise they were not at all different from the previous generations in that some are doers, some are whiners, and some are oblivious to others.  The major difference is the coverage our instant forms of communications gives to their every misdeeds with little coverage of their triumphs. http://www.triplepundit.com/2013/10/good-deeds-before-good-dough/

The only negative is that most have been so protected while growing up, they find it difficult to deal with failure or physical injury (caused by never allowed to try that before). :D

When you work with a diverse group spanning 3 generations it is easy to tell the difference.  I see it all the time and can pluck a Millenial out of the crown just by looking at the quality of his / /her paperwork.  

This guy hits the nail on the head.

I too work with a group spanning three generations and I find it all to be a gross generalization.  To use paperwork as an example, I have seen sloppy work by yound and old as well as detailed through work from both groups.  It is true that the younger generation is more at ease with new technology but that was also true 60 years ago when my grandfather got a heavier framing hammer so the screws would be easier to put in... (he thought you only needed to twist them to remove them).

In Malcolm's context I disagree there too.  Young (youngish) people take risks everyday as evidenced by the hazardous selfies from the top of towers and different Redbull challenges.  I agree that there is a VERY vocal minority however that would like to make the world a safer place by removing all hazards.  They are representing a group of people of all ages, however, and not a generation in particular.  This "warning label" syndrome is a social one, not a generational one.

JMHO

On 12/28/2016 at 7:16 AM, Don Hudson said:

" The millennials I know and work with are fraught with financial and housing anxiety, nothing else even registers. "

Super 80, that describes precisely the "Millennials" my wife and I see and know, except to add that they are nose-to-the-grindstone, working their asses off, in skilled jobs or professions, and not waiting for or expecting hand-outs, from anyone or any agency. Also, as a group they are really health-conscious.

We use the same approach to mobile phones and have great fun with "the enforcement of basic table manners", when dining together.

You're not wrong, Don. There are great young people out there that are hard working and dedicated. They work hard, play hard, and - as you said - are health-conscious (mostly because they can afford to be). On the flipside, there are the lazy and entitled. Those that would rather work as little as possible, sleep in all day, and complain about what they don't have because they're broke. They'd like to be health-conscious but they don't have the money to eat healthy. It's all about conspiracies and the "1%" because it's always someone else's fault. They expect everything but don't put in the effort to get it. 

I'm sure you can say the same about every generation. 

7 hours ago, Johnny said:

I always get a kick out of guys like this, experts in Leadership.  Having a brief look at his own CV, I don't see much depth in that area? 

Could not agree with this more. WS is in love with the guy and his "power of why." Ask some folks at the head shed about all the Simon Sinek they have had to watch.

He has marketed himself with TED Talks as some sort of marketing guru. I do not question his intelligence at all, just the slurping of everything the guys says as gospel.

1 hour ago, chockalicious said:

Could not agree with this more. WS is in love with the guy and his "power of why." Ask some folks at the head shed about all the Simon Sinek they have had to watch.

He has marketed himself with TED Talks as some sort of marketing guru. I do not question his intelligence at all, just the slurping of everything the guys says as gospel.

"Cool Aid" ? :D

Interesting to see the responses.

What I am observing, is that a bunch of upper middle class guys are saying that their kids are doing great.

I can't dispute that.  You've done a good job.

It's the rest of the generation that needs to be observed.....

36 minutes ago, blues deville said:

Yes. Swimming naked and listening to Hendrix. :)

only those of us who were already earning a living, working long hours and preparing the work place for the boomers... :lol:

On 2016-12-29 at 1:52 PM, CanadaEH said:

You're not wrong, Don. There are great young people out there that are hard working and dedicated. They work hard, play hard, and - as you said - are health-conscious (mostly because they can afford to be). On the flipside, there are the lazy and entitled. Those that would rather work as little as possible, sleep in all day, and complain about what they don't have because they're broke. They'd like to be health-conscious but they don't have the money to eat healthy. It's all about conspiracies and the "1%" because it's always someone else's fault. They expect everything but don't put in the effort to get it. 

I'm sure you can say the same about every generation. 

I think that over the last 6 or 7 decades, and perhaps since the beginning of time, the older generation has always found something with which they are unhappy about concerning the younger generation. I believe every generation has both its over-achievers and under-achievers. I also believe that parenting has a lot to do with the success or failure of future generations, and that parenting aside, there will always be those who are born with everything, yet achieve nothing in their own lives; and those who are born into adversity who go on to be great achievers and contributors to humanity. 

Life is not a crap-shoot, but sometimes it sure seems that way. Some children learn life's lessons early in life, some later, and some seem to never learn at all. Here is one man's point of view from the perspective of a Canadian Armed Forces supervisor in the early 1970's:

fullsizeoutput_852.jpegA Point Of View Page 2.jpg

av8tor's 'memory lane' post had me digging into my old high school yearbook in search of a former principal's message.  [General Navereau High School, Metz, France, 1963.]

CCE00001.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived