You Do Have A Voice, Albeit Very Small

av8tor

The Prime Minister "committed" to Canadians that the 2015 federal election would be the last one using our "first past the post" voting system and that our 2019 election would be held under a different framework. It convened an all-party Parliamentary committee to deliver recommendations to Parliament; this committee delivered its report last week but (surprise, surprise) couldn't agree on a recommendation, so everything appears to be back to square one. The committee having failed, this survey is the government's way of attempting to get feedback from Canadians as to what type of electoral reform they would like to see. What they will do with this feedback is anyone's guess but I'm not holding my breath with regards to any significant electoral reform being in place for our next general election.

Governments seem not to grasp that it can't please all of the people all of the time. Making a decision and then acting upon it is anathema to politicians. Because after all, someone's feelings might get hurt, or worse offended, and that is political suicide - or so they seem to believe.

In spite of all the claims of racism and tribalism, groups and governments continue to segregate the masses in many ways, by presumed race in this example.

If I may; what do the data collectors / presenters hope to achieve through their effort?

Archived