For Chock---Some Aviation Relevance

UpperDeck

Chock....

A few of about 15 coming back in on Saturday during a fishing tournament. We guessed a little over 100 million passed by in about 15 minutes or less!!

The aviation relevance? I think everyone of those owners has his own plane and none fly commercial. LOL

received_1363863600311954.jpeg

received_1363863440311970.jpeg

I exaggerated. I just spoke to a broker neighbour who said that the value range was somewhere between 2 million and 5.5 million each so we can drop that 100 million display to around 45 million or so. Still...that's one small tournament in Florida. Fidel could only dream. Lol

Seems that there may be more to the "Yacht" bit.

Mexico gun dealer known as 'The Friend' who helped Fidel Castro's revolution by buying him a 60-foot yacht and filling it with weapons is devastated over leader's death

• Antonio del Conde praised Castro Saturday from his Mexico apartment
  • The 90-year-old met Castro in 1950s and gave him the boat and weapons
  • In 1956, 82 insurgents, including 'Che' Guevara, left Mexico for Cuba
  • Del Conde spent a year in prison for helping the revolutionaries, but eventually made it to Cuba to celebrate with his friends

The man who helped a young Fidel Castro set sail for Cuba in a weapons-filled yacht has been left speechless and devastated by the death of his old friend.

Mexico City gun dealer Antonio del Conde, nicknamed 'The Friend', praised the Cuban leader on Saturday for changing his life, as well as that of many people around the world. 

Del Conde, nicknamed 'The Friend,' met Castro in the 1950s and bought him Granma, the boat Castro used to sail from Mexico to Cuba. There, insurgents started the revolution that toppled US-backed dictator Fulgencio Batista two years later.

'I have no words,' del Conde said in an interview at his home in Mexico City. 'He changed my life, like he changed the lives of many people in different countries around the world.'

Scroll down for video 

Mexico City gun dealer Antonio del Conde (pictured next to a photograph of Fidel Castro) said Saturday from his Mexico apartment that Castro's death had left him speechless

Mexico City gun dealer Antonio del Conde (pictured next to a photograph of Fidel Castro) said Saturday from his Mexico apartment that Castro's death had left him speechless

Castro and 81 others traveled on a boat bought by del Conde to Cuba in 1956. Castro is pictured practicing shooting in Mexico during the preparations of the uprising

Castro and 81 others traveled on a boat bought by del Conde to Cuba in 1956. Castro is pictured practicing shooting in Mexico during the preparations of the uprising

Cuban leader Raul Castro said his brother died late on Friday, exactly 60 years since Fidel and a band of armed comrades left from the port of Tuxpan on Mexico's Gulf coast.

Fidel was 90 years old, the same age as del Conde.

'When my friend told me... I was silent,' del Conde said, speaking from his modest apartment in southern Mexico City.SHARE THIS ARTICLEhare

A sepia-toned photograph hung on the wall, showing del Conde drinking malt beer over dinner with a bearded Fidel, Raul and left-wing icon Ernesto 'Che' Guevara after the revolution.

'He changed my life, like he changed the lives of many people in different countries around the world,' del Conde said of Castro (pictured in April this year)

'He changed my life, like he changed the lives of many people in different countries around the world,' del Conde said of Castro (pictured in April this year)

HOW A RAMSHACKLE BOAT BROUGHT REVOLUTION TO CUBA

Granma, a 60-foot, diesel-powered yacht (pictured), took 82 insurgents from Mexico to Cuba in 1956 - the first step in Fidel Castro's revolution

Granma, a 60-foot, diesel-powered yacht (pictured), took 82 insurgents from Mexico to Cuba in 1956 - the first step in Fidel Castro's revolution

Fidel Castro, his brother Raul, Ernesto 'Che' Guevara and 79 other insurgents left in the early hours of November 25, 1956 on the Granma yacht.

They made it to Cuba from Mexico in a week, arriving on December 2. 'Che' Guevara later described their arrival as 'less a landing than a shipwreck'.

The 82 men spent a week on the 60-foot, diesel-powered boat, built for only eight to 12 passengers. They had to take turns standing up and sitting down while the boat struggled through terrible weather.

It started raining as soon as the boat left Tuxpan on November 25 and the rest of the journey took them through rough seas, causing some men to get seasick. All got soaking wet and the group ran out of food.

Weather conditions delayed their intended arrival by two days. When they finally made it to Cuba, they had to walk to the coast while holding their weapons above their heads, out of the water.

It is estimated that only a quarter of the men made it to Cuba's Sierra Maestra, with the rest of them getting killed or captured.

Sources: Smithsonian magazine and History Today 

Del Conde first met Castro in 1955, when the young revolutionary walked into his arms shop in the Mexican capital saying he wanted to buy something.

'I replied, "Sir, I don't know who you are, but I'm going to help you," ' del Conde said. 'It was Fidel Castro.'

Del Conde bought the Granma yacht from an American couple for the Cubans and loaded it with weapons and fuel.

The yacht, only designed to hold a few people, was said to have been named after the grandmother of its original owner. It later gave its name to Cuba's Communist Party newspaper.

The 82 insurgents, including Raul and 'Che' Guevara, left Mexico in the early hours of November 25, 1956, to land in Cuba a week later. They overthrew Batista in just over two years.

This week, before news of Castro's death was announced, a group including del Conde gathered in Tuxpan in Veracruz state to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the boat's departure.

'I asked for a round of applause for 'The Commander' Fidel Castro; we all stood up and clapped,' del Conde said.

The original yacht now sits inside a glass case outside the Museum of the Revolution in the Cuban capital, Havana.

'We have to keep his image alive,' del Conde said, 'as if he were with us, very close to us.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3974836/Man-Castros-Granma-yacht-lost-words-death.html#ixzz4S0JJrfEH 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Those aren't big boats at all for Miami.  Those are just fishing boats.  Accross from the Hotel we stay at down there the boats are significantly larger.

Chock.....

Those boats are SF ("sporties") and were around 75' which is very large for a SF.

Boestar...I'm trying to think where those photos were taken. Sunset Marina on the Beach near Venetian Causeway?

We used to "live" at Miami Beach Marina and occasionally hung out with some of the crew from a 220 ft. "yacht". There were a lot of 150 fters. Tiger Woods was there with his boat "Privacy" (120 ft.?) and it was "small" by comparison.

But....SF are made for speed and for fishing so too large is not good.

I suspect you have no interest, Chock, but I can get you something in the 90 ft. range for just over $100,000. 

Malcolm....thanks for that story. If that boat is the "yacht" attributed to Castro by his former bodyguard, I wouldn't be surprised and it would confirm my suspicion we're talking about something with virtually no value other than historical or sentimental.

What's the name of the former US presidential yacht? I understand it is now home to a family of racoons and is derelict and essentially abandoned.

chockalicious:  so what is / what is the name of the Yacht that Castro apparently had recently????  I could not find it in my search.

Nice boats..how come no reg markings on them?

Fidel didnt have to dream, his yacht dwarfed all those in the pics.

2 hours ago, UpperDeck said:

What's the name of the former US presidential yacht? I understand it is now home to a family of racoons and is derelict and essentially abandoned.

USS Sequoia ...................

and some nautical trivia  for those that don't know.......

American Vessels = USS = United States Ship

Canadian Vessels = HMCS = Her Majesty's Canadian Ship

Italian Vessels = AMB = Atsa  My Boat.

Those photos were taken in FLL.  Near where the Hyatt Regency hotel is.  Forget the name of the cross streets with the intercoastal.

There were MANY boats like these and a few larger ones.

The story is that corporations actually buy them as "Charter" boats but they never really charter them except a few times a year to friends.  That way they lose money and become a Tax write off.  Average ownership is in the order of 4 years.  Then they need to get rid of it before the IRS starts looking.

In answer to the question about "registration markings", the short answer is that those boats were USCG documented vessels with their names and port of call on the stern. If Florida resident, they also have a Florida registration sticker on a window. 

The equivalent is a Canadian registered vessel, registered federally under provisions of the Canada Shipping Act. Again, the vessel is required to have its registered name and port of call on the stern and its numbers affixed in the engine space.

A foreign flagged vessel in US waters is supposed to have a cruising license or otherwise report arrival and departure from each port.

Nexus MAY have changed that for Canadians.

The original boats in this post are likely charter vessels anyway.  Sit in any Marina in FLL or MIA and you will see dozens of those.  For about $1000 /day you can charter them to go catch some big fish.

Boestar.....

Apologies but a very emphatic "No" to your suggestion that the pictured boats are charter boats. They are a VERY far cry from the type of boats you can charter for a day of fishing,

On this particular subject, I have a little more knowledge than the "average bear". I run a Hatteras Convertible and have spent a fair amount of time on captain maintained "sporties" .

I was at the Hatteras/Bertram shootout in Marsh Harbour and there were two owners who had multiple boats entered; one had two and the other three. These guys have LOTS of "wherewithal" and get their jollies from running from tournie to tournie as far down as Costa Rica. The crew run the boat. The owner joins it at the destination. The calcutta purse can  exceed $500,000. The length of the vast majority of the boats are around 55 to 65 ft. Commercial boats that you see for charter for a half or full day are crewed with captain and mate and are typically 42' to 46' and are vintage 70's to early 90's.

The fuel burn on a 60 ft. Viking with 12 cylinder MANS at cruise is between 95 and 110 gph. Some of the larger SF run with 16 cylinder engines with break hp of 2900. Their cruise fuel burn is much higher.The cost of fuel alone would consume that $1000. pretty darn quickly!! 

Keep in mind that you are talking Miami here.  Here is a car (one of 3) that was on display in the local Mall.  Nothing but a Velvet rope to protect it.

The other 2 were a Bently and a Rolls.  Over a Million US Dollars just sitting in the mall.  

There is a LOT of Money in the miami area.  A Big boat is nothing to write home about.

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

Who writes "$40,000 down and ONLY $3,888 per month".

I understand that  most sales pitches throw in the "ONLY this or that" to make people think they have a bargain but in this case, it just looks stupid.

Nice car, though!  If ONLY I had $4000 to put on a car every month (That's the correct use of "ONLY" in this context).

and yet I saw Bentlys and Astons and Rolls on the road all over the place.  The point is there is money to be tossed around down there on luxuries.  A LOT of money

These SF boats have come a long way in the last 30 years with improved construction and engine technology. Like the 60 mph bass boats, its about who gets to the fish first. Old tech Hatts and Bertram's would wallow along at 15-20 knots...now they are on a full plane and doing 45!!! That's fast for any boat let alone a 60-70 footer.

https://captken.wordpress.com/tag/jarrett-bay/

SERIOUS $.   (let alone mtc and fuel)  but think of all the spin offs/jobs for the economy.

if you happen to be in FLL...check out the Water Taxi.. a great way for a boat lover to see the sights. Last time I was there (3-4 years ago) Steven Spielberg, Oprah, and Judge Judys yachts were tied up at Pier 66.

Going through hydro withdrawal as we speak..:mellow:

On 12/6/2016 at 6:17 AM, UpperDeck said:

In answer to the question about "registration markings", the short answer is that those boats were USCG documented vessels with their names and port of call on the stern. If Florida resident, they also have a Florida registration sticker on a window. 

The equivalent is a Canadian registered vessel, registered federally under provisions of the Canada Shipping Act. Again, the vessel is required to have its registered name and port of call on the stern and its numbers affixed in the engine space.

A foreign flagged vessel in US waters is supposed to have a cruising license or otherwise report arrival and departure from each port.

Nexus MAY have changed that for Canadians.

Ummm, I don't think you would put "port of call" on your stern, how about "home port."

7 hours ago, mo32a said:

Ummm, I don't think you would put "port of call" on your stern, how about "home port."

Ummmmmm, no but I confess you are closer. Instead of saying "port of call", I should have more properly said " port of registry". Your port of registry may be a long way from your home port but may be a port of call along your way.

Good catch, Mo.

Archived