YMM Well Done Westjet

Fort McMurray residents receive Christmas Miracle treatment from WestJet

Slav-Kornik By Slav Kornik Web Producer  Global News
Westjet-snowflake-112816_848x480_818897987635.jpg?w=670&quality=70&strip=all

WATCH ABOVE: WestJet drops parachutes with free tickets for every family inside during SnowFlake Soiree in Fort McMurray.

Families impacted by the Fort McMurray wildfires had a chance to enjoy some food and music and get an unexpected gift that’ll make the holiday season much more merry.

WestJet hosted the Snowflake Soirée in Fort McMurray Saturday, which featured a free concert by country music artist Johnny Reid.

“It was amazing. I only heard about this happening by word of mouth. I registered thinking, ‘okay, a little something nice.’ You go down and it’s lit up, it’s just beautiful when you get there,” 

Parachutes were also dropped from the sky. Warner said each parachute had a Christmas ornament for each family in attendance, with a ticket for a free WestJet ticket inside for every family member.

“Anytime I talk about the nice things people have done since May, I cry. I don’t know how many people I hugged last night from WestJet, because like I told someone, they just put the merry back into Christmas,” Warner said.

WestJet said it wanted to give back to a community that’s had an extremely difficult year.

During the past few years, the company has surprised people with early Christmas gifts and released Christmas Miracle advertisements based on the surprises.

Re WESTJET releases latest, heartwarming Christmas video

I'm sure AC will respond but I, for one, am not "heart -warmed" by videos such as this., no matter which corporation puts them out for all to see. If you have the $$$ to put videos like this why not spend the money in Canada and again, I am probably alone with this train of thought, but how about the homeless that we see everyday, many of whom are in that position, not because  of their own making but because sometimes  sh!t just happens?.

Yes, I didn't like Oprah giveing away free cars to teachers either, nor her 2 747s full of people flown to Australia for a party.....how about cleaning up Chicago first ??

Flame away:075:

If Westjet wanted to give back then why publicize it?  

I see a publicly traded corporation exploiting a community that has fallen on hard times.  WJA is obviously expecting a positive impact on their brand from doing this or they wouldn't have released a video.

4 minutes ago, Homerun said:

If Westjet wanted to give back then why publicize it?  

I see a publicly traded corporation exploiting a community that has fallen on hard times.  WJA is obviously expecting a positive impact on their brand from doing this or they wouldn't have released a video.

Lots of focus on the video but my focus was on the "News Story" and the free tickets.  

Malcolm....

What was done for the folks that were "burned-out" in Fort McMurray is commendable and we all know that happened in Canada...right?

Now if they had done the SAME thing for folks in Haiti as they did in Fort McMurray ...my posting would encompass the "Haiti" story as well as that other "island Christmas" video.

I

30 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

Malcolm....

What was done for the folks that were "burned-out" in Fort McMurray is commendable and we all know that happened in Canada...right?

Now if they had done the SAME thing for folks in Haiti as they did in Fort McMurray ...my posting would encompass the "Haiti" story as well as that other "island Christmas" video.

I

Kip: Not sure if they did anything recently but here is what they did after the massive earthquake.

WestJet helps in Haiti

Since the tragic earthquake in Haiti on January 12, 2010, WestJet has worked to support the international relief effort in multiple ways. In addition to our $100,000 donation to the Canadian Red Cross to assist with immediate needs, we donated a flight to World Vision Canada and delivered $200,000 worth of vital medical supplies to the airport in Port-au-Prince. On our return flight, we were able to bring 120 Canadians back to Montréal on behalf of Foreign Affairs Canada.

WestJetters have also demonstrated a passionate response by donating over $90,000 (to date) from their own pockets and generating ideas on how WestJet could help. As a result, we have been collecting donations at our airports across Canada as well as on northbound flights from our Caribbean and Mexican destinations. 

We recognize that it is important to continue to support the relief and rebuilding efforts in Haiti. We are committed to providing ongoing support by donating flights to:

• Volunteer/relief workers from recognized relief organizations in Haiti.
  • Adoptive parents greeting in-bound adopted children (as coordinated by the federal government - Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s Operation Stork).
  • Recognized organizations hosting fundraising efforts in support of Haiti relief efforts.

Flights for volunteer and relief workers

WestJet will consider flight donations for volunteer and relief workers with a recognized charitable or not-for-profit agency that can demonstrate its ability to deliver necessary aid and rebuilding services in a self-sustaining manner in Haiti. The donated flights will take qualified volunteers and relief workers from Canadian cities to Toronto and on to Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, or Fort Lauderdale or Miami in Florida. WestJet will provide return flights to approved volunteers and relief workers outbound from Puerto Plata, Fort Lauderdale or Miami to their originating cities in Canada. Please note that WestJet will not be responsible or liable for providing or assisting in securing transportation from Puerto Plata, Fort Lauderdale or Miami to Haiti or from Haiti to Puerto Plata, Fort Lauderdale or Miami.

If you are a volunteer or relief worker interested in this opportunity, please email WJCommunityCare@westjet.com with the subject line: WestJet Flight Opportunity - Volunteer and Relief Workers.

Please include the following details in your email:

• The name of the relief organization you are volunteering or working with.
  • Your desired flight dates (flights will be booked for volunteer and relief workers’ flights within a two-week window prior to the anticipated departure date). All successful applicants will be required to complete a travel release form prior to flights being booked.

Flights for adoptive parents

WestJet is pleased to work with Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s Operation Stork to support parents adopting children from Haiti.

Parents who wish to travel to Ottawa to meet their adopted children from Haiti are invited to email Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) at adoptions-haiti@cic.gc.ca with the subject line: WestJet Flight Opportunity – Adoptions.  

Parents need to ask CIC to confirm that their adopted child is on an airline’s manifest to Ottawa from Haiti. Once this has been confirmed, CIC will send the parents a confirmation message. Parents are asked to provide WestJet with this confirmation by emailing a copy of it to WJCommunityCare@westjet.comwith the subject line: WestJet Flight Opportunity - Adoptions. Inquiries for flights will be answered within 24 hours of notification.

WestJet will fly up to two family members to Ottawa to pick up their adopted child from Haiti, and then fly two family members and the adopted child (or children) to their home city (or the closest city in our network to their home).

Flights for fundraising efforts

WestJet will consider flight donations for fundraising efforts organized by existing charities, community/civil/trade associations and for-profit businesses. Donated flights will be in the form of flight vouchers that can be raffled or auctioned at public events for the purpose of raising funds for Haiti relief efforts.
Businesses and organizations that meet the following criteria will be considered for flight donations:

• For-profit businesses hosting a fundraising initiative in support of a recognized charity or NGO providing relief support in Haiti
  • Charities or NGOs hosting a fundraising initiative to aid the relief support that they are providing in Haiti
  • Community/civil/trade associations (e.g. Lions Clubs, Rotary, chambers of commerce, churches and schools) hosting a fundraising initiative in support of a recognized charity or NGO providing relief support in Haiti

Please note that flight donations will not be considered to offset the travel costs of talent, employees or volunteers associated with the fundraising initiatives.
To request a flight donation, please email WJCommunityCare@westjet.com with the subject line: WestJet Flight Opportunity – Fundraising.  Please be sure to include the following details:

• The name of your event
  • The date of your event
  • Your contact information
  • The intended use of the flight voucher (i.e. raffle or auction)
  • The name of the charity/NGO you are supporting

Inquiries for flight vouchers will be answered within two business days. This program ends on February 1, 2011.

Malcolm................

Many Corporations  did things for Haiti  after the earthquake, including the governoment of Canada with a massive donation which to this day is still unaccountable once it was in the hands of the Haitian authorities...but let's not go there.

I don't believe WJ parachuted free airline tickets to the Haitians nor should they have ...but.....my point is, and always has been...........look after the unfortunate in your own country before you start hoping to boost your company's image by throwing around money to the "have-nots" in other countries and that is not to say....do not give humanitarian aid within the scope of your Corporation when a natural disaster strikes on foreign soil..

I think most readers understand my position and rather than getting into a urinating contest concerning charities, charitable donations, and humanitarian  obligations...on this forium....I will bow out of this thread.

51 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

Malcolm................

Many Corporations  did things for Haiti  after the earthquake, including the governoment of Canada with a massive donation which to this day is still unaccountable once it was in the hands of the Haitian authorities...but let's not go there.

I don't believe WJ parachuted free airline tickets to the Haitians nor should they have ...but.....my point is, and always has been...........look after the unfortunate in your own country before you start hoping to boost your company's image by throwing around money to the "have-nots" in other countries and that is not to say....do not give humanitarian aid within the scope of your Corporation when a natural disaster strikes on foreign soil..

I think most readers understand my position and rather than getting into a urinating contest concerning charities, charitable donations, and humanitarian  obligations...on this forium....I will bow out of this thread.

Kip: not sure why you would think my post was the start of "a urinating contest concerning charities, charitable donations, and humanitarian  obligations...on this forium...." but oh well. 

This comes up every year.  

This is all Advertising plain and simple.  Actually it is cheap advertising because most of it is produced in house and released on social media.  Taking out the advertising agency allows for the give aways and still have money left over.

It doesn't matter what airline or company does it.  

Those people in Fort Mac should give all those tickets back and publicly denounce WestJet for giving a free concert.

Under no circumstances should a company, or the people that work there be allowed to do something nice for anyone as the keyboard brigade will rush in to rightly denounce it for the cheap, exploitative ploy that it is.

1 hour ago, boestar said:

This comes up every year.  

This is all Advertising plain and simple.  Actually it is cheap advertising because most of it is produced in house and released on social media.  Taking out the advertising agency allows for the give aways and still have money left over.

It doesn't matter what airline or company does it.  

I certainly agree re the videos, the actual happening in YMM (free tickets etc) was a good thing and I am sure the recipients were most appreciative.  

The problem is that most of those tickets will go unused.  A free ticket is a great thing...if you can afford the rest of the trip. Many times they go unused because in order to take a trip other expenses are incurred.  Rental Car, hotel, Food, etc.  The ticket is nice if you can use it to visit family and stay with them but beyond that these people trying to rebuild likely don't have the time or money for a vacation.

Nice gesture? sure.  

Well, if you want to be cynical - a corporation's sole purpose is to make money - so everything a corporation does is somehow associated with that purpose.  Give money or product to a charity in the hopes of selling more of whatever your company produces.  I'm not just slamming Westjet here, all companies do this to some extent.

Archived