Sign in to follow this  
deicer

Trump 2.0 Continues

48 minutes ago, Airband said:

Oh, tell us more about this 'oppression' thing...

In case you haven't read it on the other thread...

One. More. Time. In case it’s STILL unclear.

400 years ago white people enslaved black people. And sold them. And treated them as less than human. For 250 years. While white men built the country and created its laws and its systems of government. While 10, 15 generations of white families got to grow and flourish and make choices that could make their lives better.

And then 150 years ago white people "freed" black people from slavery. But then angry white people created laws that made it impossible for them to vote. Or to own land. Or to have the same rights as white people. And even erected monuments glorifying people who actively had fought to keep them enslaved. All while another 5, 10 generations of white families got to grow and accumulate wealth and gain land and get an education.

And then 60 years ago we made it "legal" for black people to vote, and to be "free" from discrimination. But angry white people still fought to keep schools segregated. And closed off neighborhoods to white people only. And made it harder for black people to get bank loans, or get quality education or health care, or to (gasp) marry a white person. All while another 2-3 generations of white families got to grow and pass their wealth down to their children and their children's children.

And then we entered an age where we had the technology to make PUBLIC the things that were already happening in private-- the beatings, the stop and frisk laws, the unequal distribution of justice, the police brutality (police began in America as slave patrols designed to catch runaway slaves). And only now, after 400+ years and 20+ generations of a white head start, are we STARTING to truly have a dialog about what it means to be black.

White privilege doesn't mean you haven't suffered or fought or worked hard. It doesn't mean white people are responsible for the sins of our ancestors. It doesn’t mean you can’t be proud of who you are.

It DOES mean that we need to acknowledge that the system our ancestors created is built FOR white people.

It DOES mean that Black people are treated at a disadvantage because of the color of their skin and it DOES mean that we owe it to our neighbours-- of all colours-- to acknowledge that and work to make our world more equitable.

🖤BLACK LIVES MATTER!🖤✊🏾

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, deicer said:

In case you haven't read it on the other thread...

And?

44 minutes ago, Airband said:

Still unclear, you'll have to do better.

I don't really want to ask or know but I'm guessing he's on about oppression of the masses, most likely hundreds of years before any of us where born.

The notion being that somehow all of the violence and death (yes death) now being experienced in the US will have a reparative effect.... and it will usher in a new era where the 1% are vanquished and harmony reigns supreme. Don't bother suggesting that all of the participants hail from the most privileged generation to have ever walked the planet, or that virtually everyone in Canada and the USA is a card carrying member of the global .5% of humanity. We (all of us) aren't just part of the 1% we are riding the .5% bracket.... CRA takes donations by the way.

Unchecked, these violent revolutions invariably usher in the sort of change that's infinitely worse than what it replaced. The famous quote from A Tale Of Two Cities expands on the notion of "long ranks of the new oppressors." The last chapter is one of my favourites and considered one of the most moving in all literature by people who know about such things. 

The appetite for chaos will not be quenched though despite all of the warning signs, those with agendas will press on seeking profound change as opposed to moderation, unity and incremental improvements and are willing to perish in the smoking wreckage of their agenda. 

I'm reminded of a video on Youtube that shows a light aircraft taking off heavily loaded, on a hot day into rising terrain from a high elevation dirt strip. Since it's an aviation forum, I'll suggest that if anyone of us were present, we would have shouted DON"T DO IT. But of course they pressed on. The accident was a certainty with the engine start. 

Even had you shown the pilot his own charts he still would have gone. You could have set him down with all of the ambient data, calculated maximum horsepower available, minimum horsepower required, pointed out that the difference was maximum excess HP  (his climb ability), compared the climb gradient required to the climb performance available and marked the crash site on his map and he still would have gone. If I find the video I'll post it.... my point is he had to be a democrat.  

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK, here ya go a simple aviation analogy....

The reason we all know what's going to happen is simple.... it's because of experience, we've seen it before, we've had a close call ourselves or we've learned from the experience of others (history if you will).  Cause and effect suggests that reality doesn't care what you think and the physical laws of the universe are not held in abeyance simply because you happen to dislike Trump and take selfies with your tongue hanging out.

Edited by Wolfhunter

The only thing that's for sure is one party of politicians and one party of media are liars and their spin is cravenly partisan. 

It will be fun to see who that is eh?

Portland business owner describes 'devastating situation,' says 'there are no consequences' for crimes

'It is just a lot of violence, and I don't really understand the point'

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Wolfhunter said:

'It is just a lot of violence, and I don't really understand the point'

Hell deicer, another one that can't understand - it's a plague.

8 hours ago, Airband said:

Hell deicer, another one that can't understand - it's a plague.

It's actually a herald of bad outcomes when logical absurdity is accepted in the form of t-shirt slogans. Here you have the most privileged generation to ever exist, living in the most privileged country in history, burning it all down because they feel oppressed. Refugees who fled to the US to avoid oppression must be gobsmacked by all of this. I would like to see some of them interviewed.

Should the protestors prevail, it's inevitable that they create a system (in their own image) that is less tolerant and more oppressive than what they are currently railing against. It will look something like this:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/laura-ingraham-bernell-trammell-murder-deafening-silence

And although Canada is somewhat behind the US in cultivating hateful tribalism, we are taking baby steps in that direction. When politicians fail to condemn senseless violence / intimidation and fail to support the the rule of law and civil behaviour they are part of the problem.

This is getting out of hand in PEI as well and PEI is now on the motorcycle no go list... be assured it's not because I'm afraid of them either. Withholding my tourism dollars from a province that thrives on tourism is about the only way I have to send them a message. I sincerely hope others send them the same message. It's not the actions of the few I resent, it's the complicity of the masses, the politicians and the media.  

Looks like BC is in need of a spanking too, and I hope they get it. Imagine your own countrymen loosing off your wheel lugs so as to kill you for the crime of sporting an out of province plate on your motorcycle. Imagine cooks in ethnic restaurants spitting in the fried rice because you happen to be white. It's probably best I stay home as the provocation is likely to result in jail time..... for me.

I'm embarrassed to think that I ever worked for these hateful creatures. I never thought I would be living in a country where I had to factor these things into trip planning... pretty shameful IMO. How privileged is your a$$ If you feel that loosening my wheel lugs and spitting in my rice is justified? 

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/columnists/braid-b-c-premier-horgan-doesnt-condemn-harassment-of-drivers-without-local-plates/wcm/b449940c-eb13-47c3-8231-bee16199500d/

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Like 1

Coronavirus Makes America Seem Like a Civilization in Decline

The Covid-19 crisis is another example of the nation’s inability to effectively respond to pressing challenges.

By
29 March 2020, 05:00 GMT-7
Coming apart.

Coming apart.

Photographer: Ivan Abreu/SOPA Images/LightRocket/Getty Images
Noah Smith is a Bloomberg Opinion columnist. He was an assistant professor of finance at Stony Brook University, and he blogs at Noahpinion.
Read more opinion Follow @Noahpinion on Twitter

Crises such as wars, depressions, natural disasters and pandemics can reveal differences in how effectively a society organizes itself. In the 1600s and 1700s, for example, Britain’s more advanced tax system allowed it to outspend Spain and France, while Prussia’s efficient army let it overcome larger opponents such as Austria. In the Civil War, the Union's industrial prowess allowed it to outlast and overwhelm the agrarian Confederacy.

Pandemics aren’t quite the same as wars, but they can also illustrate startling differences in the effectiveness of different countries. China, the place where coronavirus first appeared, initially tried to hush up evidence of the outbreak before pivoting to a draconian crackdown that was crudely effective. South Korea and Taiwan, scarred by the SARS epidemic 17 years ago, were ready with effective response systems that tested large numbers of people and traced their contacts in order to isolate contagious individuals before they showed symptoms. European countries tended to respond less effectively, with Italy and Spain having two of the worst outbreaks and the U.K. dithering over its strategy while wasting crucial time.

But perhaps no advanced nation has responded as poorly as the U.S. Perverse regulation, a bungled government test and fragmented supply chains held back testing for crucial weeks, allowing the epidemic to spread undetected. Abdication of leadership by the federal government left the job of shutdowns to state and local governments. Meanwhile, the president has issued highly unrealistic predictions that lockdowns could end in as little as two weeks. As a result, the U.S. now leads the world  in cases of the coronavirus.

It’s possible that the U.S.’s scattershot, slow and ineffective response to this crisis is a result of leadership failures or the recent era of political division. President Donald Trump eliminated a pandemic response team at the National Security Council, his appointments to the Centers for Disease Control and the Food and Drug Administration have been controversial, and his messaging has generally been unhelpful and conflicting.

But the widespread nature of the failures suggest that coronavirus has exposed a deeper decline in the U.S.’s general effectiveness as a civilization. How recent that decline is, what its causes are and whether it can be reversed are all difficult but important questions.

One possibility is that the U.S. is burdened with outdated 18th-century institutions. Federalism leaves many powers to the states, making it hard for the central government to coordinate a pandemic response even when leadership is strong and competent. The Senate and the filibuster are set up to block swift legislative solutions to the nation's mounting challenges. Countries such as South Korea and Taiwan created their centralized systems much more recently.

But the U.S. made big moves toward centralization to deal with the Civil War, the Great Depression, World War II and the Cold War. Those successful responses show that the U.S. has been capable of adapting to the challenges of upheaval in the past. Recently, though, the U.S. has allowed its civil service to shrink and its salaries to become less competitive with the private sector, outsourcing many of the bureaucracy’s functions:

The U.S. Needs to Upgrade Its Civil Service

Sources: Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

It’s tempting to blame this on small-government ideology, but the coronavirus failures also involved over-regulation by the FDA. In general, fans of more government and less government seem unable to prioritize high-quality, effective government — what my Bloomberg Opinion colleague Tyler Cowen and his fellow economist Mark Koyama call state capacity.

There may be deeper reasons why U.S. state capacity is decaying. One possibility, elaborated by economist Mancur Olson, is that as time goes by, institutions tend to be captured by a web of special interest groups. In the case of coronavirus these could include companies that use patents and mergers to monopolize parts of the medical supply chain and local business lobbies that push governments to delay lockdowns at the expense of public health.

An even more disturbing possibility is that declining U.S. effectiveness is the result of deepening racial and ethnic divisions. Economists have generally found that ethnic fragmentation — usually a legacy of colonialism — tends to make countries less willing to provide public goods. In the U.S., ethnic fragmentation is mainly a legacy of slavery, which resulted in lasting black-white tensions. The urge to slash and devalue government in the late 20th century almost certainly stemmed in part from many white Americans’ fear that government would mostly benefit their poorer black countrymen. In recent decades, waves of mostly Hispanic and Asian immigration have created further ethnic divisions; Trump’s presidency is often viewed as a backlash against that increasing diversity.

The crucial question is whether and how the decline in U.S. effectiveness might be reversed. Restoring the prestige of the civil service, centralizing functions such as responding to pandemics and electing competent and focused leaders are certainly all important steps. But in the long term, doing this will probably require cultivating a sense of national solidarity that crosses ethnic and racial lines while rooting out the entrenched power of special interests. Restoring the greatness of American civilization is likely to be a long and difficult road.

This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Bloomberg LP and its owners.

To contact the author of this story:
Noah Smith at nsmith150@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story:
James Greiff at jgreiff@bloomberg.net

Edited by Don Hudson
formatting
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's what you don't want to see.

It results in mistakes and leads to indiscriminate carnage, those mistakes lead to retaliation in kind, and retaliation leads to rapid escalation and lasting vendettas that are difficult to reign in. Politicians need to be very careful about their rhetoric now but they aren't and likely won't be.

People hoping for a revolution may get a taste of what that actually means and by the time they realize they don't like it and begin to call for moderation and unity the cycle of revenge attacks may be self sustaining. As predictable a result as the video I posted above. Get out the charts, look at the takeoff data and climb performance, lighten the load and proceed with caution.

Reality will not be thwarted and the physical laws of universe are governing whether you believe it or not.

Seattle PD search warrant recovers explosives, baseball bats reportedly handed out at protests

One explosion blew a hole in the wall of a precinct, police said

Edited by Wolfhunter

Only Congress has the power to legally delay an election. It will not do so.

However,...

Though the term is frustratingly imprecise, the United States is devolving into a failed state.

This means that it is increasingly incapable of:

• protecting its citizens from violence and, these days from their destruction/death;
  • a willingness to carry out established laws and lawful actions;
  • relying upon its long-established, substantive institutions to support Constitutional authority of a democratic government;
  • recognizing and correcting the "democratic deficit" - the decades-long disconnect between public opinion and public policy.

Anything is now possible.

• Thanks 1

So trump will use every and any tool to discredit the election process now. 

And with rolling out 'federal police' across the nation, it is setting the stage to enact martial law.

He has already tweeted that the election is rigged.....

Regarding the unwelcome federal police presence in non-federal places when State forces already had guarded Federal Property by decades-old arrangement, perhaps the administration is just testing the American tolerance levels for after the election?

We don't know what their plan is because almost the entire US government is in an "Acting Something-or-other" guessing role, and his plans change between breakfast and noon according to mood, press coverage on Fox and the usual, fathomless insecurities.

2024 is the key here, not 2020.

Excellant.

Now, let's dig these out and shine a spotlight on them. One side or the other are lying partisan toads, there is no other option here. Let's find out once and for all and let the great axe fall where the offence lies. There needs to be consequences, start with punishment on election day and follow up with jail time.... how's that for non-partisan?

CNN weighs in.... still no riot, violence and death coverage though, maybe their reporters are still swimming home from Russia:

EXCLUSIVE: Fearing Trump interference, FBI agents hid copies of Russia investigation docs

On 7/30/2020 at 3:17 PM, deicer said:

So trump will use every and any tool to discredit the election process now. 

Bah, nonsense and paranoia....

Mr. Trump and his appointees have begun taking cost-cutting steps that appear to have led to slower and less reliable delivery.

In recent weeks, at the direction of a Trump campaign megadonor who was recently named the postmaster general, the service has stopped paying mail carriers and clerks the overtime necessary to ensure that deliveries can be completed each day. That and other changes have led to reports of letters and packages being delayed by as many as several days.

Voting rights groups say it is a recipe for disaster.(NYT)

7 hours ago, Airband said:

Bah, nonsense and paranoia....

So while you pooh pooh me as being paranoid, you put up a quote that proves my point that a trump toady is doing exactly what I alluded to.

Which is it?