Sign in to follow this  
deicer

Trump 2.0 Continues

It's not a matter of fear invoked by the spectre of Hitler behind every tree. I simply don't believe that liberals are willing to pay for what they say they think they want. To date, I see no evidence that they are.

The situation in Toronto and California needs lots of money to fix. The question is, was and still remains, are you willing? What I'm most afraid of here is the lack of commitment, I'm afraid the lack of commitment leads to a lack of funding, and I'm afraid the lack of funding leads to cultural clashes and unnecessary suffering that could have been avoided by doing it right. In short, its liberals I have become afraid of.... not minorities. You wanted a sanctuary city and you got it, pay up, lets grow up and get er done. Come to grips with the notion that these folks are here at your invitation.

Keep watching as they who created the issues become the new oppressors and those who opposed it's genesis stand in support of the very minorities they were once accused of vilifying by pointing out the simple fact that integration has a cost (a big cost). I feel as though I'm already there and the meme needs to be stood on its head.

Where are those, who on this very forum, suggested that they would not want to live in a country unwilling to pay the very integration bill we now balk at? Where are those who called me a racist for pointing out that it was doable but expensive? Where are those who screamed zenophobe when asked "are you willing?" 

Yes, I'm afraid of them! Liberals that is.... like school yard bullies, they have proven themselves all talk at the very instant that the action they once supported becomes needful. Where are you?? Frankly, I feel duped, it was a mistake to take them at their word.

Edited by Wolfhunter

You couch it in such flowery terms, however the reality is not that the lefties are becoming the new oppressors, it is that the right is becoming more militant in it's desire to remain in power.

As we saw with the republican campaign to disrupt the Obama administration at all cost, the same sort of action is now happening globally and it is far more dangerous than what you say could happen under 'liberals'.

It is the use of fear, which Trump is taking advantage of, and of which you touch on in your posts that makes it so subtle.  That is why we need to renew our drive for better education so that people can see beyond the subtle tricks, which through the use of social media and the internet, aren't so subtle anymore.

Here is what is really happening...

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/21/687128474/analysis-how-the-rise-of-the-far-right-threatens-democracy-worldwide

A new president is elected. Within days of being sworn in, he pulls his country out of a U.N. migration pact. His path to power has been pockmarked by disparaging comments about women, including a congresswoman. His preferred choice for top posts are members of the armed forces. When he appoints a fifth military official to his cabinet, he makes the announcement via Twitter, his favored means of communications.

Sound familiar?

These are the tactics of Brazil's new president, Jair Bolsonaro, who was sworn in to office on Jan. 1, 2019.

On Tuesday, Bolsonaro will headline the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, an annual gathering that attracts heads of state — 65 of them this year — corporate CEOs and billionaire investors. Bolsonaro's nationalistic rhetoric is in sharp contrast to a gathering that has long stood for globalization and has pushed to strengthen international ties.

Latin America

Right-Wing Populist Jair Bolsonaro Sworn In As President Of Brazil

His tactics may remind many of the American president's. But it is actually symptomatic of a global wave that started almost a decade ago and has only strengthened in recent years. From Turkey and Hungary, to India and the Philippines, the voices of nationalism and the far right have become dominant forces that begin with the election of a charismatic, influential and powerful man.

Hungary, for instance, was once a leader in the drive for democracy in East Europe. But after strongman Viktor Orban rose to power as prime minister in 2010, Hungary's democratic institutions have been dramatically weakened.

In his first year in office, Orban's party amended the constitution 10 times. A wholly new constitution was put in place. It whittled down the power of courts, changed how elections are supervised and dramatically curbed media. New positions were created and filled with Orban allies. The moves have been broadly condemned, including by the European Parliament and the United States.

Parallels

Hungary Has A Xenophobia Problem

Orban is one of the strongest symbols of this shift. He was one of the first Western leaders to endorse Donald Trump and pursue friendly relations with Russian President Vladimir Putin. Last year, Orban won a third term in a landslide victory after pledging to create a "Christian homeland."

Similarly, in the Philippines, President Rodrigo Duterte swept to power in 2016, promising to be tough on drug criminals. As he carried out that promise, it resulted in the deaths of thousands of alleged drug dealers across the country. Human rights groups say the innocent poor have borne the brunt of these killings. Duterte uses profanities with abandon, he has compared himself to Hitler and has insulted world leaders. He too wants to change the constitution in Philippines.

The Two-Way

Duterte Pulls Philippines Out Of International Criminal Court

And Turkey, once a bastion of secularism, today is rife with religious conflict. Its leader Recep Tayyip Erdogan, president since 2014, has crushed dissent and jailed journalists. Last year, the government's Directorate of Religious Affairs ordered all of Turkey's nearly 90,000 mosques to broadcast a verse from the Koran through loudspeakers on their minarets. The move led writer Soner Cagaptay to declare that Sharia is gradually taking over long-secular Turkey. Cagaptay is a senior fellow at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, a group known for being outspoken on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

And then there's India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi, leader of the world's largest democracy. Under his Hindu nationalist party, the country has pursued laws that hurt the minority Muslim population. For instance, his party declared that eating beef is "against the idea of India." This led to a ban in the sale of cows for slaughter. While beef is taboo for Hindus, it isn't so for Muslims and the decree led to the closing of many slaughterhouses and meat shops, traditionally owned by Muslims in India.

Parallels

The nationalist zeal has also led to curbing of charities operating in India. Tens of thousands of foreign-funded non-government organizations, like Greenpeace India, Ford Foundation and Amnesty International, were either put on notice or had their licenses revoked. Amnesty, which often accuses the Indian government of human rights violations, said a raid of its offices was aimed at silencing critics.

In Brazil, President Bolsonaro pushed forth an almost identical move after taking office earlier this month. He used an executive order that gave his government far-reaching and restrictive powers over non-governmental organizations working in Brazil.

Ultimately, it is moves like these that have global hackles rising for proponents of democratic values.

In almost each of these instances, the leaders have swept into power on a promise to accelerate economic growth and create new opportunities for those left behind by globalization. But the promises are often laced with undercurrents of nationalism that harp on race or religion and closing borders.

These leaders often have a strong base of support. And often they have a pro-business agenda, which stock markets cheer. The American stock market has been on a roller coaster — calmer now after a rough ride at the end of the year. But for many months after Trump's election, investors gave the U.S. president a clear thumbs up. Brazil's investors are doing the same, and Bolsonaro has tweeted about it.

Politics

Trump To Davos: 'America Is Open For Business'

Last year, Trump told the crowd at Davos: "I'm here to deliver a simple message: There has never been a better time to hire, to build, to invest and to grow in the United States. America is open for business." Bolsonaro will likely echo the same sentiments.

Trump also said: "America First does not mean America alone." Undoubtedly, Bolsonaro believes in Brazil First. And Orban in Hungary First. Likewise, Erdogan for Turkey and Modi for India. But if it is everyone for himself, who really wins?

29 minutes ago, deicer said:

It is the use of fear, which Trump is taking advantage of

Be assured, I'm not afraid. I want the bills paid and I want the process done right. In many places in Europe and indeed California, (not to mention Toronto) voters, IMO, are balking at the cost of it all and seeking simple, cheap solutions in a world where simple and cheap no longer exists. That time has come and gone.

Time to pay up and get er done.... now, that is either true and proper or it's not. If it's not, tell me why it isn't.... if it is, tell me why we shouldn't get on with it and pay accordingly. Or, if you are contrary minded, I would be happy to understand why you perceive the status quo as acceptable. My position here is dead simple, I think it's time for action. If nothing else, lets solve the manning problems with the Toronto police Service (as an example of the general malaise I refer to). I care little for party politics.... I want good ideas worthy of support, got any? If you do, I'll vote for ya; it just has to make sense and open boarders in a post national world doesn't.

Edited by Wolfhunter

You say you cheap and simple?

Isn't it the republicans who championed Autopac?  NAFTA? Who sent manufacturing overseas at behest of their corporate masters who wanted profits above all?

Now we are seeing the results of those policies.

Like it or not, Donnie inherited a healthy growing global economy from Obama.  First order of business was to tear it down.

As you say, it is the voters who pay the bills that will decide.  

One must also remember, the majority of American voters did not vote for this.

32 minutes ago, deicer said:

Maybe this is the reason that Donnie wants the wall, millions are crossing the border...

https://truthout.org/articles/millions-of-americans-flood-into-mexico-for-health-care

Do you understand that this is not the position I'm looking for? That it's not an attitude I share or ever will? Do you have anything other than Donnie bashing? Give me something workable to support and I will. Give me a sensible option and see it fully supported regardless of party. How simple is that?

Edited by Wolfhunter

I do, however, change will not happen if you wait for someone to bring it to you.

Go out and make change.

Protest, speak up, make a difference.

23 minutes ago, deicer said:

I do, however, change will not happen if you wait for someone to bring it to you.

Go out and make change.

Protest, speak up, make a difference.

In the absence of evidence to the contrary, I can only assume you (and others of like mind) have nothing but criticism of Donnie on offer. When democrats have an alternate COA, I stand ready to listen. Those who seek political power should offer a platform. The democrats are levitating. If you have a cheap cure (lets say for Toronto) lets hear it. I say it's not cheap and I say lets start with the police force and a resolution to sin no more. Lets fix that safe third country agreement and plug the hole then lets pour a bunch of money into getting rid of the backlogs. Lets clear criminals out of subsidized housing and deport them so others can live in the peace and security the came here seeking. That's for starters and I mean right now, like today. Cheers

PS, sorry, that's course of action

Edited by Wolfhunter

The criticism is due to the fact that what was before Donnie worked.  Longest rise in employment and markets in a long while.

Yes, it had it's flaws, but it worked.

If you want change, first you have to reverse the damage that is now being inflicted, then go back to working to improve what you have.

Change is good.  

Blowing up the system to benefit a small special interest group is no good.

Good effort Wolfhunter, but when your opposition creates & maintains a position contrary to common sense, you might as well paint a spot on a wall and debate with it as waste time arguing with those that are bent on bringing the house down regardless.

So, how many weeks will it be before the US and Canada resemble today's Venezuela?

9 hours ago, deicer said:

Isn't it the republicans who championed Autopac?  NAFTA? Who sent manufacturing overseas at behest of their corporate masters who wanted profits above all?

From fiscal policy, to trade, to war — Trump has been an objective ally for those on the left

I shouldn't, but I delight in discussing Donald Trump's presidency with friends on the left. 

Not to commiserate over what a pig the man is (calling someone a pig is presidential language now, so that's fair ball, right?). That's just easy. What's fascinating is the reaction when you advance the argument that Trump, judged solely on his actions, is the most left-wing president any of us has ever seen.

By people "on the left," incidentally, I don't mean small-l, bourgeois, reflexive urban liberals. I mean committed progressives; people who believe in collectivism over rugged individualism, in the replacement of social hierarchy with social equality, who advocate wealth redistribution and robust government intervention to restrain the predations of the market. Generally, these people also oppose government austerity and militarism and globalization.

They are generally well educated and serious. And they can be irritatingly self-righteous. Which is why it's such fun to point out that Trump has often been their objective ally.

Free trade

Many leftists are deeply suspicious of the very concept. Trade treaties, in the eyes of real progressives (again, as opposed to garden-variety liberals), involve government surrendering its sovereign ability to protect industries that need protecting, and letting the markets attack workers' rights. Free trade can also make it easier for companies to "offshore" jobs into low-wage countries.

For that reason, most of the opposition to the original Canada-U.S. Free Trade Agreement came from the political left, and from labour unions. They lost.

Jean Chrétien's Liberals, once in power, discovered a great affection for trade deals, and while U.S. presidents Bill Clinton and Barack Obama evinced sympathy with workers, they ultimately refused to restrict trade. Clinton in fact signed NAFTA, the original deal's big expansion.

Then along came the left's most important ally on the issue in nearly 100 years. Donald Trump not only made it a priority to attack and ultimately get rid of NAFTA, he used tariffs to, among other things, punish companies for sourcing manufacturing offshore.

Trump's protectionist rhetoric outdoes even that of labour leaders and social democrats. He ferociously attacks globalization, which he his followers call "globalism." He declares himself a nationalist. He's turning back the clock

'Donald Trump is the best president the left has ever had'

Edited by Airband
Formatting

Oh no, I find myself in total agreement with Fox. Democrats need to adjust now or face failure.... again

Read and heed:

"As they denounce ICE, propose wealth taxes, sign onto Medicare-for-all and free tuition, endorse unlimited abortion, advocate the elimination of carbon fuels and suggest that people backing a border wall are “racists,” they may well please the progressive wing of the Democratic Party."

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/trump-will-win-again-if-democrats-continue-to-lurch-left

Edited by Wolfhunter

9 hours ago, deicer said:

Donald Trump descriptor word of the day:  Snollygoster.

For you deicer:

US election 2020

Donald Trump in the Oval Office at the White House - 8 Jan 2019Image copyright Reuters

The first two years of the Trump White House have been eventful, to say the least. But let's ignore the drama and instead focus on the numbers.

We're tracking the president's progress on his agenda and how it is received by the American public and the wider world.

And there are interesting - and surprising - comparisons with some of his predecessors.

Short presentational grey line

How are his approval ratings?

Donald Trump began his term as one of the most unpopular presidents in the modern era and he remains so.

His approval rating is just 37%, according to Gallup. Presidents Barack Obama (50%), George W Bush (58%) and Bill Clinton (54%) were all higher at this point.

Chart showing Trump's approval rating against other presidents

The only president in recent decades to have anything like Mr Trump's low rating at this stage was, perhaps surprisingly, Ronald Reagan, who was also languishing at 37% in 1983. His numbers slowly improved after that and he went on to win a second term as president.

One upside for Mr Trump is that he still has the backing of Republican voters - 88% of them approve of his presidency. If that number stays high, it's unlikely he'll face a serious challenge to be the Republican candidate in 2020.

Chart showing how stable Donald Trump's approval rating has been since he entered the White House Short presentational grey line

How has he run the White House?

President Trump's administration has repeatedly been branded as chaotic and dysfunctional by his critics.

There is a long list of senior officials who have either quit, been fired or forced out of the White House - but has the turnover been worse than previous administrations?

Chart showing how President Trump has struggled to keep hold of top level advisers in his White House

Well, yes, it has. Research by the Brookings Institution found that 65% of his senior-ranking advisers left their job in the within the two-year mark. That's considerably more than most of his recent predecessors.

Usually, a president's top team sticks together for the first year and then changes a little in the second - but for Mr Trump, the departures have been fairly regular since day one.

Has he kept his campaign promises?

The lack of stability in the White House has shown when it comes to measuring Mr Trump's success with policy.

He has had trouble delivering in areas where he's needed to navigate the corridors of Congress, despite controlling both chambers until Democrats regained the House at the start of January.

On healthcare, for example, he failed on his promise to kill off President Obama's Affordable Care Act, which helped more than 20 million previously uninsured Americans get health cover but suffered from rising premiums.

His main legislative success was passing a major tax reform bill, which saw corporation tax was reduced from 35% to 21%. However, individual cuts for families failed to help Republicans in the mid-term elections.

His other big success was getting two new Supreme Court judges confirmed, including Brett Kavanaugh, who faced allegations of sexual assault during his confirmation process.

Chart showing how well President Trump has done at meeting his campaign promises compared to President Obama

Elsewhere, the president has used executive orders to meet symbolic policy goals like moving of the US embassy in Israel to Jerusalem and the withdrawal of the US from the Paris climate agreement. He has also moved to draw down troop levels overseas, including in Afghanistan and Syria.

But overall, independent fact-checking website Politifact says that President Trump has delivered on relatively few of his campaign promises, while almost half have been blocked or dropped.

Has he delivered on immigration reforms?

Building a border wall paid for by Mexico was President Trump's signature issue during the election campaign but it still appears unlikely to happen.

Congress has approved $1.7bn in funding for 124 miles of new and replacement barrier since Mr Trump entered the White House, but estimates for building the president's desired wall range from from $12bn to $70bn.

In December, after criticism over the lack of progress on the wall from some conservative commentators, President Trump triggered an unprecedented 35-day partial shutdown of the US government.

Chart showing how Trump's 35-day shutdown over funding for his border wall was the longest ever gap in government funding

He had hoped to pressure Democrats into making a deal, but he was eventually forced into reopening the government without an agreement.

The US economy lost $11bn during the five-week period but about $8bn would be recouped as employees receive back pay, according to the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office.

Throughout the shutdown, Mr Trump argued that the wall was needed to stem a "growing humanitarian and security crisis at our southern border", involving "thousands of illegal immigrants".

However, figures show that illegal border crossings have seen an overall decline since 2000.

Chart showing how the number of apprehensions of illegal immigrants at the US-Mexico border have fallen in recent years

President Trump continues to press Congress to change US immigration laws, including ending the visa lottery system and "chain migration" that gives priority to relatives of existing legal US residents.

The Supreme Court also handed him a victory in June last year, when it upheld his ban on people from several Muslim-majority countries entering the US on grounds of national security.

How has the economy fared under Trump?

During the campaign, Mr Trump vowed to create 25 million jobs over 10 years and become "the greatest jobs president... ever".

He used to claim the actual unemployment rate was more than 40%. Now he's America's CEO, he's embracing the same jobless figures he once dismissed as "phony".

Those figures do show, though, that job creation under Mr Trump during his first two years in office fell slightly when compared to President Obama's final two.

Chart showing how the US jobs market has continued to grow steadily under President Trump

However, the basic trajectory of the economy under President Trump remains the same as it was under President Obama - the unemployment rate is historically low and wages are growing at a faster rate in recent months.

But there are some concerns for Mr Trump. Global economic growth is down and his decision to start a trade war with China led to retaliatory tariffs on hundreds billions of dollars of US goods.

The president has been quick to take credit for booming stock markets over the past couple of years, but they have started to wobble in recent weeks.

How are things looking for 2020?

The next presidential election may be more than 18 months away, but the campaign has already kicked off.

Encouraged by a good set of mid-term election results, the Democrats are optimistic on retaking the White House.

Several candidates have already announced that they are standing for the Democratic nomination, with the two biggest hitters being senators - Elizabeth Warren and Kamala Harris. Other potentials, like former Vice President Joe Biden, are still mulling a run.

Chart showing how Donald Trump would fare against potential Democratic rivals in the 2020 election

But whoever the candidate turns out to be, the early signs are that President Trump is in for another tough battle.

A recent poll found that seven possible Democrat rivals are all outperforming the president in hypothetical head-to-heads. While that should be taken with a pinch of salt this far out from election day, it will make Republicans feel a little nervous

So much fun to watch I almost hope it all comes true.... wait until the bill comes and these folks discover it's actually them that has to pay for the feast.

When that happens, they will don yellow vests and set fire to the town. Everyone else will be asking "what did you think was going to happen?" 

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/deroy-murdock-aoc-dnc-ocasio-cortez-is-pace-car-for-democrats-turbocharged-race-to-the-far-left

Edited by Wolfhunter

The problem today is that the left and right are falling off opposite ends of a flat earth.  Its to the point where its just "Whatever they do, do the opposite"  There is no centre anymore and for that we are doomed.

1 hour ago, boestar said:

The problem today is that the left and right are falling off opposite ends of a flat earth.  Its to the point where its just "Whatever they do, do the opposite"  There is no centre anymore and for that we are doomed.

It will indeed be interesting to see where this goes. Will the US and China, kiss and make up or will China take action to protect their industry despite anything the US can do to stop them?  I would bet that some sort of face saving agreement (on both sides) will be reached as the US is also getting some negative results from the trade war.

China factory activity shrinks as slowdown worries rise

Worker with a circuit board in a Yamaha musical instrument factory in TianjinImage copyright Getty Images

Chinese factory activity contracted for a second straight month in January, the official Purchasing Managers Index (PMI) showed.

The index ticked up to 49.5, but remained below the 50-point level that separates growth from contraction.

China reported its weakest economic expansion in 28 years in 2018, and growth is expected to slow further.

Already, a number of multinationals have said sluggish growth in China has affected their bottom line.

The manufacturing data was up slightly from the 49.4 level recorded in December.

Marcel Thieliant, economist at Capital Economics, said while the PMI didn't weaken any further in January, "it still suggests that the economy lost momentum at the start of the year".

Other data, such as consumer sentiment and retail sales figures, also point to weakening demand in the world's second largest economy.

Several international companies have warned on China's slowdown, including Apple.

The tech giant blamed a 5% fall in revenues partly on China.

Shares of industrial equipment giant Caterpillar took a beating earlier this week, after the company reported its sales slipped 4%, largely due to slow sales in China.Why are the Chinese buying fewer cars?

Chipmaker Nvidia also reported softer sales due to a sluggish Chinese market.

3M, which makes products from adhesive tapes to air filters, also said weak customer demand in China affected its bottom line.

China has been attempting to reform its economy to rely more on domestic consumption instead of exports and investment to fuel growth.

The US-China trade war is also creating economic uncertainty.

The latest figures come as officials from both sides meet in Washington to try ease trade tensions.

If the two sides cannot reach an agreement by 1 March, the US has said it will increase the tariff rate from 10% to 25% on Chinese goods worth an estimated $200bn (£154.4bn).

A quick guide to the US-China trade war Jan 2019

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45899310

O.M.G.

Sarah Sanders says 'God wanted Trump to be president'

White House press secretary Sarah SandersImage copyright Getty Images Image caption Sarah Sanders also said it was "very hard" to take morality lessons from the Democratic Party

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders has told a religious television network that God "wanted Donald Trump to become president".

Ms Sanders made the claim in an interview with the Christian Broadcasting Network (CBN), saying it was the reason Mr Trump was in office.

The press secretary also said it was "very hard" to take morality lessons from the Democratic Party.

Democrats have attacked Mr Trump's proposed border wall as immoral.

US evangelicals strongly support the president.

The Washington Post reports Mr Trump won 80% of the evangelical vote in 2016, a higher share than Republican presidential candidates Mitt Romney and John McCain in previous elections.

CBN broadcast the interview with Ms Sanders on Wednesday, conducted by David Brody and Jennifer Wishon.

Responding to Mr Brady's question about Mr Trump's position, Ms Sanders said: "I think God calls all of us to fill different roles at different times and I think that He wanted Donald Trump to become president."

"That's why he's there and I think he has done a tremendous job in supporting a lot of the things that people of faith really care about."

President Trump with faith leaders in the Oval OfficeImage copyright Getty Images Image caption Mr Trump has hosted faith leaders in the Oval Office

When asked about House Speaker Nancy Pelosi position on the proposed border wall - a divisive issue at the heart of the longest US government shutdown in history - the press secretary attacked Ms Pelosi's suggestion such a barrier was immoral.

"Honestly, it's very hard at this point to even take a lecture from Democrats on what is moral and what isn't," she said, calling it a "ridiculous charge" and saying Ms Pelosi "may even regret making that comment".

"Protecting the people of your country... is the fundamental duty of being president of the United States," Ms Sanders said.

The interview comes days after Mr Trump tweeted his support for Bible study.

Several states have legislation pending that would make Bible literacy courses part of public school education.

The American Civil Liberties Union attacked Mr Trump's endorsement.

"More often than not, public school Bible classes resemble Sunday school lessons and violate students' and parents' First Amendment rights," senior attorney Heather Weaver wrote.

"Public schools are for education, not religious indoctrination."