Sign in to follow this  
deicer

Trump 2.0 Continues

One other thing that needs to be brought into the conversation is to observe what the markets are doing ie: follow the money.

I had said that the markets were due for a fall, I just didn't think it would happen this soon.  With the dumpster fire that is the current U.S. administration, the trade wars and tax changes have not done anything to benefit the U.S. economy.  That is now coming into effect.

Why I say 'follow the money'?  Last I saw, over $4 TRILLION has been pulled from the system. 

That isn't from your Mom and Pop investor who are saving for retirement.

The 1% has locked in their profit and now will be riding out the scenario until Trump is gone.

Just another chapter in the book that has conservative governments doing more damage than good.

12 hours ago, Wolfhunter said:

I think you left someone out...

And then, you reversed the situation entirely. Flip the entire premise on its head, divine the true colour of distasteful and switch to disposables...

Once again, I will point to the historical fact that more economic damage has been created under conservative oversight than otherwise.

All your wishing aside, the Senate's activities have nothing to do with its relationship with Donnie; they're doing a geopolitical dance.

The Senate voted to make it look like they are concerned with American values and like notions, but if you notice, they didn't actually do anything that might upset the desert empire and destroy the system that grants global reserve currency status to the US petrol dollar, which would be the absolute end for the US if it that was to occur.

13 minutes ago, deicer said:

Once again, I will point to the historical fact that more economic damage has been created under conservative oversight than otherwise.

What passes as damage is often the bitter pill of good fiscal medicine that follows a period of gluttony. It is one of the reasons I would have liked to see another 4 years of Wynne. Sometimes, only complete failure and total collapse is instructive. We have previously been smart enough to change those diapers when we collectively see it needful. As always, perspective and clear articulation is everything when considering the relevance of blanket statements.

I’m reminded of this quote (apparently) in response to a person who was of the opinion that no one should be qualified to own a hand gun. ”I’m a business man and don't believe that ordinary people are qualified to handle money. Money only exists for buying drugs and prostitutes. Only business men should be trusted with money."

What may be considered by some as 'good fiscal medicine' may be good only for certain segments of society at the expense of the rest.

No matter how you couch it in pretty prose, or as outrage that ones needs aren't getting met, overall the truth of the matter is that the current U.S. administration is not good for anyone. 

Canada was stable up until the Trump trade wars started to take down global economics.  As much as you don't like our government, they weren't doing anything major to upset the cart.

That is all out the window now, and Trump is even attempting to use Canada as a pawn in the trade war with China.

With Christie being the latest to refuse to work with the Trump Whitehouse, it is becoming more and more obvious that even the substandard politicos aren't willing to work in the Trump Whitehouse.  

Never mind that the top people that he had only wanted to get out and get back to private lives after surviving their experiences with Trump.

After two years of having a majority control of both houses, nothing was accomplished.  Now, before they are even sworn in, Trump is blaming the shift in control of Congress for the problems he's created.

That only goes to bolster what is in this report:

Thousands of mental health professionals agree with Woodward and the New York Times op-ed author: Trump is dangerous

So you may think that you are getting what you voted for, I believe that the rearview mirror of history will tell the truth.

deicer, let us not forget how our international trade (agreements) have been negatively impacted by our current Government who wants to combine/impose social issues with normal trade agreements.  Certainly added to any destabilization.

In what ways?

I watched the Freeland/Pompeo news conference live this afternoon, and the Americans looked pretty sheepish and were quite quiet when the Canadians raised the problems over trade with the U.S. with regards to tariffs on steel and aluminum.

This indicates to me, that other than the Whitehouse, the U.S. government doesn't have any problems with Canada as a whole.

32 minutes ago, deicer said:

No matter how you couch it in pretty prose,

Pretty prose is the exclusive domain of those smarter than dumb pilots who came from the humble ranks of dumb grunts. My observations are mostly from the domain of the latter... we would collectively be better served by more humility. Voters who have previously served in Africa are to be treasured, but alas.... the lessons of experience are lost on those with opinions and no experience.

Edited by Wolfhunter

Agreed.  

Different points of view are natural.

How it is communicated and debated shows strength of character.

2 minutes ago, deicer said:

Agreed.  

Different points of view are natural.

How it is communicated can also be a sign of "Pig Headiness and  self fulfillment" which I see in our current PM.  🙃

Cool, we can agree that strength of character is a lost attribute and sorely missed by those who seek  their way in a complex world. As you have previously suggested (and I agree). the internet has made everyone of us all a bit dumber than we were yesterday. Character is forged in the crucible of experience and experience is the fountain of enlightenment.

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, deicer said:

Oh my goodness.... we are in complete agreement and should stop now while it blooms. Please... don't reply!

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

How it is communicated can also be a sign of "Pig Headiness and  self fulfillment" which I see in our current PM.  🙃

Damn... LOL, had to wreck the moment eh?

Edited by Wolfhunter

40 minutes ago, Wolfhunter said:

Damn... LOL, had to wreck the moment eh?

And then I found this. One thing about deicer, he does not veer away from this POV and that does fit right into this forum.  I do wonder however how any of us would do without access to the information on the internet.  😀  Perhaps good old cut and paste from newspapers......

•  

Let’s face it Canada is screwed. The current catastrophe unfolding over NAFTA is but one of many dangerous dalliances that have left this great country violated, sobbing and thrown to the wolves. By wolves I do mean President Trump, because as the rhetoric goes he has no mercy. So how does one negotiate with a tyrant?

Canadians should find the answer to this question only by looking inwards, as the tyrant isn’t Trump it’s Trudeau.

Justin displays a near pathological reverence to the progressive-nihilism that is victimhood ideology, stoking division over race, gender, class, and sexual orientation. Plainly, Canada’s ‘first feminist Prime Minister’ uses resentment and ingratitude to incubate hate; thus inflating his power and ego. Sounds like a tyrant to me.

I have to admit to my own astonishment over just how bad things have gotten. Cruel fate must be cackling over the confluence of events that finds our country led by a soy boy progressive charged with facing down the evil empire, err, our most valued trading partner, the United States.

Mistakes the Federal Liberals have made during NAFTA re-negotiations are disastrous and shall go down in history. Most appalling, is the Trudeau government’s demand that gender equality not only receive its own chapter in the revamped NAFTA deal, but that a gender lens be applied to all chapters of the agreement. This demand is risible and it’s little wonder Trump shows contempt for Trudeau.

More than Trump, much of the world has awoken to what is the slow-motion car crash that is Canada under progressive leadership. Trudeau put his ‘progressive push’ for the inclusion of chapters on the environment, labour rights and gender equality at the forefront of the negotiations of a revised Trans-Pacific Partnership trade agreement.

What happened? Adults in the room pushed back and our soy boy leader, aggrieved no doubt, bailed on a crucial meeting with leaders of the 11-participating countries in the deal. The Australian Trade Minister said Trudeau had “sabotaged the agreement”.

It’s hard to imagine our Prime Minister is taking the potential loss of NAFTA seriously. He installed as Canada’s chief negotiator, Minister of Foreign Relations Chrystia Freeland, a person uniquely unqualified for this particular challenge—unless you consider her gender.

Freeland has no business or trade experience, unless you count her years as a journalist for the Globe and Mail and Thompson Reuters. And, her illustrious career as an author boils down to two bestselling books: Sale of the Century: Russia’s Wild Ride from Communism to Capitalism and Plutocrats: The Rise of the New Global Super-Rich and the Fall of Everyone Else.

Freeland has no business or trade experience, unless you count her years as a journalist for the Globe and Mail and Thompson Reuters. And, her illustrious career as an author boils down to two bestselling books: Sale of the Century: Russia’s Wild Ride from Communism to Capitalism and Plutocrats: The Rise of the New Global Super-Rich and the Fall of Everyone Else.

Is it by design that our chief negotiator is certain to antagonize the billionaire president? After all, Canada holds such a strong negotiating position for a re-vamped NAFTA agreement.

Direct foreign investment into Canada plunged last year to its lowest level in 8-years, down 26-percent. Alberta oil remains land-locked and price-discounted—losing billions in revenue and tax dollars. And, on Friday Statistics Canada announced Canada’s economy unexpectedly lost 51,600 jobs with Ontario recording its biggest employment drop in nearly a decade.

So, a new NAFTA deal is critical for the long-term economic health of this country. It pains to even have to point this out. There is plenty of room to compromise. I agree supply-management, which keeps prices artificially high e.g. dairy industry, must be shed. Trump is right about that. But there are other vital areas of Canadian concern that need to be properly fought-for. My fear is the damage is already done.

Everything the left touches it destroys.

More than Trump, much of the world has awoken to what is the slow-motion car crash that is Canada under progressive leadership. Trudeau put his ‘progressive push’ for the inclusion of chapters on the environment, labour rights and gender equality at the forefront of the negotiations of a revised Trans-Pacific Partnership trade agreement.

What happened? Adults in the room pushed back and our soy boy leader, aggrieved no doubt, bailed on a crucial meeting with leaders of the 11-participating countries in the deal. The Australian Trade Minister said Trudeau had “sabotaged the agreement”.

It’s hard to imagine our Prime Minister is taking the potential loss of NAFTA seriously. He installed as Canada’s chief negotiator, Minister of Foreign Relations Chrystia Freeland, a person uniquely unqualified for this particular challenge—unless you consider her gender.

Everything the left touches it destroys.

Lots of fun eh?

deicer - as a total sidebar to the issue at hand, we have all spared over a variety of issues over the years and I do sincerely appreciate your point of view, in fact, it has actually changed my perspective on some issues… but (take a breath) only a few. I have long considered this forum as something of  a dysfunctional family.

Has anyone ever considered an AEF dinner somewhere, maybe Toronto… I would be happy to include it in one of my X-country motorcycle adventures. It could be near a police station so you retain an avenue of escape from the wrath of JD.

New thread perhaps?

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Like 2

Capitol idea!  

I think an effort was made a while back,  can't remember exactly when.

I'm not worried for my safety, we would probably be more civilised in person with a beer in hand.

If you're ever passing through the GTA, pm me and we can see what we can put together.

8 minutes ago, deicer said:

Capitol idea!  

I think an effort was made a while back,  can't remember exactly when.

I'm not worried for my safety, we would probably be more civilised in person with a beer in hand.

If you're ever passing through the GTA, pm me and we can see what we can put together.

Re being worried about safety, I was going to say how about some place more safe than Toronto?  😀 But it seems that Stats Canada thinks Toronto is just fine. Mind you the data in their most recent report https://indie88.com/where-are-canadas-safest-cities/ is from 2015.

52 minutes ago, deicer said:

I think you are right.

I'm planning an "Iron Butt" run called "Trans Canada Insanity" as a precursor to the next  Hoka Hey  sometime in Mid June next year. Maybe a separate thread is in order. The venue and date are pretty easy, but, as always, it's hard to accommodate all schedules. I'm willing to risk a brief foray into the bowels of Toronto unarmed if you are.... but beware, JD awaits!

Edited by Wolfhunter

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Re being worried about safety, I was going to say how about some place more safe than Toronto?  😀 But it seems that Stats Canada thinks Toronto is just fine. Mind you the data in their most recent report https://indie88.com/where-are-canadas-safest-cities/ is from 2015.

Malcolm, I appreciate your concerns and although I don't live in Toronto but nearby, all I can say is that if you are from not here, the hustle and bustle can be intimidating and scary.  Much like every major city.

However when it comes to the big crimes, it mostly involves the bad guys going after each other.  

Consider is a form of 'Roach Control' 👮‍♂️

47 minutes ago, deicer said:

Malcolm, I appreciate your concerns and although I don't live in Toronto but nearby, all I can say is that if you are from not here, the hustle and bustle can be intimidating and scary.  Much like every major city.

However when it comes to the big crimes, it mostly involves the bad guys going after each other.  

Consider is a form of 'Roach Control' 👮‍♂️

back in 1967,when working at Pearson, I lived fairly close to the airport and waked to the airport when on early shift (weekends)  as I could not afford a car and the transit service did not start up until much later in the day. Good old brownstone apartments.