Pilot Jobs in China

BoomerPete

Hi Folks,

My employer, China Eastern Airlines, is in the midst of a large-scale expansion of its expat flight crew department. As a part of that they recently hosted two recruitment/information sessions in Vancouver and Toronto. They are presently considering setting up a third one to take place in Montreal in late November or early December, but would like to gauge the level of interest before committing to it.

They are looking for captains with PIC experience on the B737NG, A320 series, A330 and B777 to fill positions on those fleets. All positions offer a commuting contract with roughly 10 days home leave per month. There are also additional contract options in terms of home vs. working day patterns, but these vary by fleet and in some cases by which carrier within the group you elect to work with. Salaries are competitive with other Chinese airlines, but generally not the highest available.

Having worked for 4 different expat carriers over the years, though, I can vouch for the fact that the general approach and flexibility of the management here is the best that I've seen and far exceeds what is the usual standard for Chinese airlines, which counts for a lot. I was among a group of 5 that made the jump to CES last year, leaving a better paying but more arduous job at Air China to do so. A year later and not one of us would choose to go back if we could.

So, if you are in the Montreal or Ottawa area and would like to know more about the possibility of working for China Eastern drop me a note and let me know. If the interest is sufficient we can set up an info session which will be attended by the Managing Director of the Foreign Pilot Dept., the head of one of the recruiting agencies, and possibly one of the 5 pilots mentioned above.

Cheers,

Pete

The timing for these recruitment sessions are better when a recent airline failure has deposited qualified crews into the street. Hasn't happened in Canada for a period of time (a good thing) so I don't know who would be interested in this opportunity even with many Chinese carriers paying top dollars for pilots. 

@st27: Unfortunately the same age restrictions apply as elsewhere. Wish it were else wise. 

@blues deville Agreed, but there has actually been a fair degree of interest coming from pilots currently employed in Canada which prompted the first two sessions. The response was sufficient that the MD asked me to look into how/where to do more, and the YUL/YOW area came up as having a number of pilots who have the relevant type qualifications. It's kind of an interesting thing. First time I've seen a management guy at an Asian carrier ask: Is there interest there? If there is, then I'm prepared to come out to meet those interested. 

@Moon The LoonYou'd have fun here I suspect, but that Dash job sounds like even more fun!

Cheers,

BP

Archived