YYZ T1 US Customs

blues deville

Blues deluxe passed thru YYZ's T1 US Customs today. Somewhere between having her declaration stamped and about the hand it to the person at the podium, her cell phone rang. It was me calling to check on her. Bad timing. She was immediately surrounded by officers, her phone taken away. She was sent to a room for interrogation, and her luggage removed from the UA flight. After a long review of the momentary error and full search of her luggage she was finally permitted to depart as planned. Barely. Out of breath having to run to the gate and upset by the level of action taken. The UA flight attendant gave her a huge pre-flight glass of wine. Whoever you are.....thanks. 

A little excessive? How about "Excuse me, phone off. Thank you". 

Many countries prohibit cellphone use in customs/immigration areas, but some of the U.S. officers are unusually touchy about it.  I've seem them freak out on travellers, but not to the extent that Blues Deluxe unfortunately experienced.

There are "no cellphone" signs in the pre-clearance area but they aren't prominent at all.  

I'm not clear on one part  - when the phone rang did she answer it and talk to you or just silence the ringer and slip it back in her pocket?  The response does seem out of the ordinary.  I've seen officers stand up and yell across the room at someone who uses their phone, to talk or text, but never seen action beyond that. 

3 hours ago, seeker said:

I'm not clear on one part  - when the phone rang did she answer it and talk to you or just silence the ringer and slip it back in her pocket?  The response does seem out of the ordinary.  I've seen officers stand up and yell across the room at someone who uses their phone, to talk or text, but never seen action beyond that. 

Briefly. Got out a "hi" and next breath was "gotta go" as they grabbed the phone out of her hands. Thing is, she's not one these phone-heads constantly walking along with cell phone in use. 

As she was last to board in business class, all of the overhead space was taken but her seat was waiting for her. The cabin crew had been advised of the reason for her last minute arrival at the gate. Even the UA Captain said the treatment she had received for the phone use was crazy. A very nice FA and crew turned her day around. 

Many years ago I had the Calgary Police practically lunge on me at preclearance at YYC, the police immediately lost interest in me but CBP sent me to secondary anyway but nobody seemed too sure why I was there or what they were supposed to be looking for so after sitting there for a while and not sure what to do with me they just xrayed my bag and popped me out a door in the middle of the security line.

On 2016-10-26 at 2:18 AM, seeker said:

Perhaps they are on alert for some specific threat?

Perhaps seeker but I don't think my bride of 32 years is any kind of security threat. She teaches 5 and 6 year olds. 

On 2016-10-26 at 3:06 AM, Innuendo said:

I wonder if the camera capabilities of todays phones are among the reasons for prohibiting their use in some of these locations.

Good question. But what could there be worth filming that part of a customs hall?

Blues deluxe says she's over it. I'm still angry about the way she was treated. But to do anything now would only be a lose/lose situation.

Apologies in advance but....bottom line.....your wife entered the customs hall with an active cell phone and when it rang....she didn't ignore it; she answered. There are numerous signs to the effect; ""No cell phones!!!".

Ever been in a line at the bank; or grocery store or......and the customer is on his/ her cell phone? No one cares----" it was only for a moment!!". 

Turn the damn thing off until you are in an area where receiving or making a phone call won't disturb others including service providers.

11 hours ago, UpperDeck said:

Apologies in advance but....bottom line.....your wife entered the customs hall with an active cell phone and when it rang....she didn't ignore it; she answered. There are numerous signs to the effect; ""No cell phones!!!".

Ever been in a line at the bank; or grocery store or......and the customer is on his/ her cell phone? No one cares----" it was only for a moment!!". 

Turn the damn thing off until you are in an area where receiving or making a phone call won't disturb others including service providers.

No apologies required. She completely acknowledges her error. My problem is with the actions which followed. Do you think the punishment fit the crime? As I mentioned on my intitial post, it was excessive. 

Well, I have personally seen and been the subject of the wrath of US CBP officers. One time travelling as self-loading freight, I made the mistake of putting my passport on the counter and then resting my left arm on the same counter. The officer yelled at me and told me to stand back...solution....get a Nexus card and almost never talk to another US or Canadian customs officer again.

1 hour ago, anonymous said:

Well, I have personally seen and been the subject of the wrath of US CBP officers. One time travelling as self-loading freight, I made the mistake of putting my passport on the counter and then resting my left arm on the same counter. The officer yelled at me and told me to stand back...solution....get a Nexus card and almost never talk to another US or Canadian customs officer again.

I got yelled at because a two year old entry stamp from CBP at YVR was not sufficiently legible to a CBP dude at YYZ, I got further yelled at when I said "I'm sorry, what is your question?" he didn't have a question he was just mad that the YVR dude's roll number was illegible.

21 minutes ago, mo32a said:

I have a Nexus card and I crossed the border today. Got sent in for a secondary inspection, first time in 9 years that has happened.

The real fun is when you get randomly sent to agricultural inspection.

2 minutes ago, Super 80 said:

I got yelled at because a two year old entry stamp from CBP at YVR was not sufficiently legible to a CBP dude at YYZ, I got further yelled at when I said "I'm sorry, what is your question?" he didn't have a question he was just mad that the YVR dudes roll number was illegible.

The real fun is when you get randomly sent to agricultural inspection.

ANY time I had a Canadian Border Patrol agent say anything other than what was expected, other than reasonable questioning, I've asked for a supervisor. It happened only once, but once exercised, that was the end of that.

FWIW...

Had the US officer mention my two "violations" when I got my Nexus card, in a not so slightly threatening manner. Like I'd been caught lying at the border or something. Turns out that, twice, I'd volunteered that I had some fruit in my lunch bag that I wasn't sure was allowed through YVR, checked the appropriate boxes on the Customs card, and both time was told that I had to discard the offending fruit by their Fruit Police (blueberries and grapefruit, separately), which I immediately complied with...And this caused me to be "flagged" as an "offender". Twice. Haven't been hassled since, but goes to show how a seemingly minor "infraction" can stick with you.

Interesting stories. What I am learning or perhaps forgot is that they are in complete control. Years ago I had a US customs at LAX on a midnight/redeye turn notice it was my birthday and had anyone/everyone around us sing to me. And then on this past Monday blues deluxe gets a Spanish Inquisition. (Which we all know no one ever expects) :)

2 hours ago, blues deville said:

What I am learning or perhaps forgot is that they are in complete control

While customs officers have a role to play, I have little respect for the way some of them seem to enjoy the power bestowed upon them. Some can be respectful and courteous too (the 'senior' lady that used to work aircrew at YYZ T2 then T1 always made me smile).  But you hit the nail on the head, blues.  All you (we) can do is comply, whether we like it or not.

Just a second. Are we talking about CBP (US) or Canada Customs?

I bend over for CBP when requested. I am not a US citizen and have NO rights of substance that I can safely assert and I cannot afford to piss off any one of their tribe.

However...CC is an entirely different animal. Like Moon, I have demanded to see a supervisor to lodge a complaint against the "inhospitable attitude" of an officer in arrivals. Entering by car, I once left primary steering toward secondary. When I told the officer where I was going, he said; "I didn't send you there!" I replied; "But I'm going" and I lodged a complaint with the superintendent over the questioning by the officer; " Anything to declare?"...."No"......"No alcohol or tobacco?". "Are you suggesting I am a liar or incapable of comprehension?"

Nope...I take no BS returning to my own country.

22 minutes ago, UpperDeck said:

I lodged a complaint with the superintendent over the questioning by the officer; " Anything to declare?"...."No"......"No alcohol or tobacco?". "Are you suggesting I am a liar or incapable of comprehension?"

Some travellers are probably not aware that alcohol and tobacco are subject to duty in certain circumstances.  The officer was likely giving you the benefit of the doubt in allowing you a second chance to declare these items if you were carrying them and were unfamiliar with customs allowances.  

You actually took offence at this and took the time to file a complaint about it?

17 hours ago, moeman said:

Had the US officer mention my two "violations" when I got my Nexus card, in a not so slightly threatening manner. Like I'd been caught lying at the border or something. Turns out that, twice, I'd volunteered that I had some fruit in my lunch bag that I wasn't sure was allowed through YVR, checked the appropriate boxes on the Customs card, and both time was told that I had to discard the offending fruit by their Fruit Police (blueberries and grapefruit, separately), which I immediately complied with...And this caused me to be "flagged" as an "offender". Twice. Haven't been hassled since, but goes to show how a seemingly minor "infraction" can stick with you.

I know how you feel. When we were directed into secondary, the guy inside questioned us in a pleasant manner but they had to do a vehicle search because the guy outside directed us in. We were given a customs card to fill out which we did and volunteered that we had dog food with us. They confiscated the dog food and noted that this would be a positive result from a search. I felt like such a criminal - not.

10 hours ago, FA@AC said:

Some travellers are probably not aware that alcohol and tobacco are subject to duty in certain circumstances.  The officer was likely giving you the benefit of the doubt in allowing you a second chance to declare these items if you were carrying them and were unfamiliar with customs allowances.  

You actually took offence at this and took the time to file a complaint about it?

Yes. Of course, the exchange was a little more protracted than described. Maybe (just maybe?) I felt I was being cross-examined having made a verbal declaration. The "boss" agreed. If primary doesn't accept the declaration, refer to secondary. The job of intial screening is NOT to prolong the encounter. This was at a bridge with cars backing up and the officer was a temporary.

I also complained about an officer who required that I remove prescription glasses. The superintendent explained that the officer had just been at a course where they were instructed to examine the pupils for clues to possible drug use!! He apologized and the officer was given "guidance". 

Yes....I object to any unwarranted exercise of presumed authority that encroaches upon my freedom.

10 minutes ago, UpperDeck said:

I also complained about an officer who required that I remove prescription glasses. The superintendent explained that the officer had just been at a course where they were instructed to examine the pupils for clues to possible drug use!! He apologized and the officer was given "guidance".

Eek!  I'll need to start examining my pupils in the mirror before using the iris scan at Nexus.

Archived