Weather images from the cockpit

Don Hudson

Some wonderful photography from the cockpit, includes a video of what looks to be a CATIII approach/landing. The next video is an approach into Dublin, again worth watching - I'm sure some of us here can recall similar approaches...toughest part was taxiing in!, and spring/fall approaches into YVR...CAVU on top, 500ft of thick fog, CAVU underneath. I still prefer film, (B&W), but only digital photography can make this imagery.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3799926/Flying-tempest-Incredible-photographs-taken-plane-cockpit-comes-land-airports-world.html

Nice to see the videos were taken from a proper aeroplane. :ph34r: By the by, he was a little early disconnecting the autopilot at Dublin. There's a reason Airbus recommends doing so at "taxi speed" (less than 70 knots) - it's called that sudden bank of heavier fog that you weren't expecting.

4th pic down (the one over Toronto) looks pretty easy to make out.  Guelph on the left, and Georgetown just south of the lightning.

And YYZ in the easiest form of recognition: the dark void in an otherwise sea of lights...

Hopefully this guy can keep doing this kind of thing.  Unfortunately at some companies (including mine), taking any pictures on the flightdeck is now prohibited.  Who knew that snapping shots from an operating seat on short final then posting to Facebook before you even get to the gate could get a person into trouble!?

(And no, not me...!)

29 minutes ago, Canoehead said:

4th pic down (the one over Toronto) looks pretty easy to make out.  Guelph on the left, and Georgetown just south of the lightning.

And YYZ in the easiest form of recognition: the dark void in an otherwise sea of lights...

Hopefully this guy can keep doing this kind of thing.  Unfortunately at some companies (including mine), taking any pictures on the flightdeck is now prohibited.  Who knew that snapping shots from an operating seat on short final then posting to Facebook before you even get to the gate could get a person into trouble!?

(And no, not me...!)

I guess the determining factor would be if the photo activity on a short final took away from the necessary concentration needed for the landing.  What if something unexpected had gone wrong?  

One of the reasons photography may be prohibited on the flight deck is that the camera can get caught between the sidestick and the armrest or sidewall of the cockpit...with serious results: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3007690/Dozens-injured-RAF-transport-plane-nose-dived-4-400ft-27-seconds-Captain-took-photographs-left-Nikon-camera-joystick-stuck.html

Archived