OT Tonight's Hip concert in Kingston

Mitch Cronin

Thanks for that Mitch.  It will be a good memory when next I hear one of their songs.  Had to tinker around the house the evening with everybody out and about and had it playing in the background - really great.  Should have been exhausted when the gang all got home but instead found myself in a super upbeat mood. 

Perhaps you've never seen this video of the Hip (Grace too, Nautical Disaster) on SNL from over 20 years ago. Gord's two fingers in the air are a signal to a nephew on his 11th birthday. In an interview years later, Downie said the next day they played to an audience of 46 in Akron, Ohio.

http://www.sonic1029.com/2016/06/02/14857/

I wouldn't consider myself to huge fan although I recognize and like many of their songs of course.  I found the multiple irridescent costume changes to be somewhat distracting, and the hats!  I also found Downie to be difficult to watch - he has a sort of twitchy stage presence.  That's just an observation from someone who never actually saw them perform before (live or video).  I see the same style was present 20 years ago on SNL.  The music was good though and that's what's most important.

Gord is known for his unique dance style. 

https://mir-s3-cdn-cf.behance.net/project_modules/disp/7471c89648909.560d7910adad3.gif

As for the costumes, if I was told I was going to die in the near future, and somehow mustered the strength and permission to do the job I loved doing for the past 3 decades for a few more days, you better believe I would be strutting through the terminal in the brightest, most irridescent pilot "costume" I could afford. Maybe even break out a Kingston Jig as I walked away from my last landing. 

26 minutes ago, pair of pratts said:

Gord is known for his unique dance style. 

https://mir-s3-cdn-cf.behance.net/project_modules/disp/7471c89648909.560d7910adad3.gif

As for the costumes, if I was told I was going to die in the near future, and somehow mustered the strength and permission to do the job I loved doing for the past 3 decades for a few more days, you better believe I would be strutting through the terminal in the brightest, most irridescent pilot "costume" I could afford. Maybe even break out a Kingston Jig as I walked away from my last landing. 

Yup, not intended as a criticism.  Just saying I found it a bit of a distraction from the music which I enjoyed.

I hear you seeker but this has been his style since way back when. A unique voice and he has said the problem is what to do with your hands kind of issue. There has always been a contrast between him and the band who are almost background scenery to his on stage antics. 

His voice was definitely off for this last show and some lyrics forgotten but any fan wouldn't say a word because of what he's gone thru and what's ahead. 

Google "The Hip & killer whale tank" for a laugh. 

2 hours ago, blues deville said:

There has always been a contrast between him and the band who are almost background scenery to his on stage antics.

Thanks for clearing this up for me.  While watching the CBC show I noticed this exact thing - Downie in the front with multiple bright costume changes and outrageous hats "performing" meanwhile the rest of the band is dressed in dark clothes in the background "playing" most of the time barely acknowledging or noticing the audience. I wondered if this was being done to really make the focus on him or if this was their normal way of doing a show.

On ‎28‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 2:44 PM, seeker said:

Thanks for clearing this up for me.  While watching the CBC show I noticed this exact thing - Downie in the front with multiple bright costume changes and outrageous hats "performing" meanwhile the rest of the band is dressed in dark clothes in the background "playing" most of the time barely acknowledging or noticing the audience. I wondered if this was being done to really make the focus on him or if this was their normal way of doing a show.

The hats served their purpose. Our very close boating friends in Gananoque have a 45 year old son who has the exact cancer Downey has but is one year ahead of Downey as far as experiencing the disease.. You may have seen this young fellow as he was on CBC quite often just prior to the concert and just after. During one episode there was a full facial photo of our friends son. The operation to see just what type if cancer is in the brain involves removing part of the skull and then replacing it. If you taped the CBC show you would see a bit of the surgery scar Downey and our friend experienced peeking out from under the left side of his hat.

That gruesome scar, radiation, and chemo tends to make ones head a bit of a visual eyesore....thus the hat.

And finally, our friend's son, who is just about to start year two of his fight with brain cancer, has just been informed today that the cancer has spread to many parts of his body. The survival rate of anybody with this dreaded cancer is less than 2% to year 3.

Archived