47th Anniversary - One small step...

Don Hudson

I watched it live or as live as it got. Had a sigh of relief when the descent was safe, the foot was on the ground and then of course when the liftoff and rendezvous was made to return to earth.

8 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I watched it live or as live as it got. Had a sigh of relief when the descent was safe, the foot was on the ground and then of course when the liftoff and rendezvous was made to return to earth.

They actually never photographed the ascent of the first moon lander module. Someone forgot to calculate the time shift for the camera to tilt vertically with the ascending module. I think they got it right in subsequent departures de la loon, er, uh...lune.  :rolleyes: 

Back in the '90s I visited the National Air and Space Museum on the Mall.  A pair of exhibits which impressed me the most were also the most basic.  They had the slide rules which Wernher von Braun and his Soviet counterpart had used.  The basic calculations for putting the men on the moon and bringing them back was done on the slide rules, the details were then worked out on computers.

Last year, my daughter's boy friend, an engineer, saw my whiz wheel.  He was really interested in it, found the manual online and quickly learned to use it.  So, I pulled out my old slide rules from school days and he was quick to pick up on how they worked as well.  Glad to see that not all 'young people' are unable to adapt their knowledge to make use of the tools which we thought were state of the art half a century ago.  I still wish I had learned how to use an abacus!

Archived