AAIB Bulletin: BA A321 Tail Strike Event 15.07.19

Don Hudson

In fairness though the PITCH call wasn't made.

Their policy of PM as handling pilot down to below 1000' and then PF taking over once contact is made is new to me. Is that a common SOP?   

21 hours ago, Specs said:

In fairness though the PITCH call wasn't made.

Their policy of PM as handling pilot down to below 1000' and then PF taking over once contact is made is new to me. Is that a common SOP?   

BA has long hitched their wagon to the concept of the Pilot Monitored Approach (PMA). It may have had its merits in older round-dials aircraft but it's an incredibly goofy thing to do in an Airbus FBW cockpit. As a matter of fact, I was once told by a senior Airbus flight op's guy that they had strongly recommended that BA stay away from it on that fleet.

I've never been thoroughly convinced the Cadet program is flawed but if the airline isn't adapting to the graduated once they come on line then somethings wrong and I'm still not convinced it's the Cadet training that's at fault. 

Specs, I think you're right - it isn't the Cadet Program that's the problem here, it is the carrier's unwillingness (due scheduling/expense/awareness...what?), to recognize that 300 hours is "learner's licence" level and as such shouldn't be routinely flying in demanding circumstances. Airlines need to restrict some operational circumstances to the left seat until, (my opinion) at least 1500hrs TT flying the line just like CAT II/III approaches are always flown from the left seat. I suppose I'm surprised that it's the legacy carriers like Lufthansa & BA that needed to discover this.

One of the guys on my course, (came in #1 out of 16 in terms of the exams) had 250hrs when he joined - was a fabulous pilot but like all of us, spent nearly two years in the oiler's seat - valuable exposure to airline ops and a great position from which to apprentice. Such circumstances are no longer available so carriers need policies that handle a fully-licenced but inexperienced airline pilot.

The most significant example of a failure to mentor young pilots came from Colgan Air.

I think some PIC's have to give a little more thought to the delegation of PF duty when it comes to multi leg days or less than perfect airport/runways conditions. Also, this particular duty day involved two Airbus types, A320 and 321 models. The cadet got the third leg on the longer Airbus. Also, as mentioned BA has some odd SOP's, for example the transfer of control at critical times that doesn't really work on the latest generation of aircraft. 

• 5 months later...
On 17/07/2016 at 6:30 AM, J.O. said:

BA has long hitched their wagon to the concept of the Pilot Monitored Approach (PMA). It may have had its merits in older round-dials aircraft but it's an incredibly goofy thing to do in an Airbus FBW cockpit. As a matter of fact, I was once told by a senior Airbus flight op's guy that they had strongly recommended that BA stay away from it on that fleet.

Hi JO, I have an interest in the history of this issue,  would you be able to give me a bit more detail on where and when of the senior Airbus flight ops guy's comment?  by personal message if preferred. Thanks.  

Archived