"Roll the trucks!"

2 hours ago, boestar said:

Why would the second aircraft be cleared for takeoff BEFORE the first aircraft had taken off?  Is that normal?

At one time it was very normal at both Dallas and Houston.

The rule, at least in Canada, is that the first aircraft has to be off the ground (and at a sufficient distance, which is not a problem with two jets) before the second aircraft starts to roll.  It's therefore common to issue take-off clearance to #2 when we feel the first one is just about to rotate.  It's the only way to achieve minimum separation between departures.

I'm going to go ahead and bet that the #2 didn't travel much more than a couple hundred feet, if they moved at all.

Just seemed a bit odd to issue the clearance before the first aircraft was committed.  I understand the need for close separation and timely clearances but isn't this like cutting a hole in the net?

I'd have to hear the audio to properly comment.  As I figure it, though, there were probably only a few seconds between the issuing of take-off clearance and cancellation. For context, if #2 were to roll before the first one is off, it would be deemed a loss of separation.  It's only 4 or 5 seconds we're trying to shave off.

So there's very little gray; just a little bit of anticipation.

Of course, I'm talking about Canadian operations.  But I'm pretty sure they use the same things in the States.

Archived