Westjet LGW Issues

deicer

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So now that the big shiny plane effect has worn off, what is the consensus on these tails within WS? I only know one guy on the 767 and he freebases the teal kool-aid.

Boeing is flogging the 767 to their freighter customers at the moment as the tanker program faces production delays, they could probably get some new 767-300s by this time next year.

If you look at YVR to the UK using June as but one example, AC offers the most nonstop flights complete with meals etc and for the most part less than WestJet who offers only a mix of flights over YYZ and the odd nonstop back to YVR. Low cost..... not really.... esp. when you add in the cost of the first bag vs AC's free and then the onboard meals.   What is the difference, if any, between the cost of going from LHR or LGW to London Proper?

If you have seen what Air Canada is serving these days on in transatlantic Y these days you wonder if it's even worth bothering.

Broccoli mush, chicken mush and a substance that may or may not be potato based. 

Although on my last Air Canada J flight I would have preferred just about anything from the buy on-board menu to what they served me.

17 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

If you look at YVR to the UK using June as but one example, AC offers the most nonstop flights complete with meals etc and for the most part less than WestJet who offers only a mix of flights over YYZ and the odd nonstop back to YVR. Low cost..... not really.... esp. when you add in the cost of the first bag vs AC's free and then the onboard meals.   What is the difference, if any, between the cost of going from LHR or LGW to London Proper?

If you're looking at June I know it's one small sample but westjet's flights are full or as close to full as can be. You aren't going to find cheap seats now. 

3 hours ago, Super 80 said:

Although on my last Air Canada J flight I would have preferred just about anything from the buy on-board menu to what they served me.

Really?  I've always enjoyed the "J" meals, I thought they were pretty good compared to the buy-on-board crap.

I'm not at all surprised to hear the negative publicity over WestJet's charging for food on its TATL flights.  For whatever reason I have always found that UK travellers can be incredibly precious about their on board food and drink.  A friend of mine who is a FA on VS was accused by a passenger of ruining his holiday--yes, ruining his holiday--because there was no chicken left and the poor thing had to have beef.

Canadians have had virtually no exposure to stripped down no-frills concepts like Spirit or Ryanair where absolutely everything costs extra (except the bathroom). It's going to take some getting used to, and as I said long ago about the WS transatlantic product, there is going to be some hell to pay as travellers figure out their true cost - which will vary according to their wants and needs. If they have to check multiple bags, if they want preferred seating, meals, etc, they need to try the product before they can fully appreciate the cost between standard and no-frills offers. The ultimate, of course, is how the European no-frills carriers handle operations, for example, charging you differently for booking a checked bag online vs deciding at the airport that you will check a bag after all (or are refused by the airline to take a bag on as carry-on). People are cheap, but nothing gets people more riled at airports to be told their packing strategy is wrong, that their suitcase, while legal on one airline is too big or too heavy for carryon on another. Once you turn them around and tell them to go back to the counter to check that bag, they are fuming, scared of missing the flight, angry at the hassle, etc. The same applies to food. A lot of people will eat any slop served for free, but won't fork out $5 for a decent sandwich. And if the people around them are the same way, a groupthink is reinforced - no one buys. Wait until some airline starts charging a fee for booking with a credit card (Ryanair does) or for carryon (Spirit does). 

While the airlines diddle with baggage fees, wait times due to carry on searches are leading to long waits in line. The TSA says it's increasing staffing levels in a big way. Are TSA services charged back to airlines, or is there a taxpayer funded component to their operations?

1 hour ago, dagger said:

Canadians have had virtually no exposure to stripped down no-frills concepts like Spirit or Ryanair where absolutely everything costs extra (except the bathroom). It's going to take some getting used to, and as I said long ago about the WS transatlantic product, there is going to be some hell to pay as travellers figure out their true cost - which will vary according to their wants and needs. If they have to check multiple bags, if they want preferred seating, meals, etc, they need to try the product before they can fully appreciate the cost between standard and no-frills offers. 

WestJet's so far disastrous operation won't be helping things.  The several planeloads of people who will essentially have been flown for free once they're paid EU261 compensation might be forgiving, but there will be plenty of unhappy customers around until WestJet gets its transatlantic act together.

As always it will be up to the customers to make a decision on the WestJet product.  Looking at cheap flights for some dates in July most of the carriers are offering the same fare levels, the only difference would seem to be the additional cost of any add-ons. http://www.cheapflights.ca/search/flights-to-London/from-Calgary-Intl/departing-2016-07-06/returning-2016-07-20/

Shortlisted flights
Flight results (updating)
Updating...
  • Outbound
  • Return
Tip 1 of 2 Previous tipNext tip
We have filtered your results for direct flights
Starting at C$1,757pp (avg. 9h 4m)
Remove filterRemove filterDismiss tip
Cheapest Smart Value
C$1,757 pp Return
Total C$1,757
WithFareboom
C$CAD !

Payment will be taken in Canada Dollars - the basic fare will be C$CAD 1,757 pp
ClassEconomy
Pin Collapse Details
Outbound Westjet
6:35pmCalgary IntlYYC
10:19amLondon GatwickLGW
 8h 44m
Direct
  • YYC
  • LGW
Return Westjet
12:50pmLondon GatwickLGW
3:15pmCalgary IntlYYC
 9h 25m
Direct
  • LGW
  • YYC
C$1,757pp Fareboom
Select
Also available with: Also with:

This flight has been Pinned to your shortlist at the top of the page.

Book your hotel with Cheapflights
The best value hotels in London from 6 Jul to 20 Jul
See hotels Hotels open in a new window
C$1,825 pp Return
Total C$1,825
Withairtickets.com
C$CAD !

Payment will be taken in Canada Dollars - the basic fare will be C$CAD 1,825 pp
ClassEconomy
Pin Collapse Details
Outbound Air Canada
6:25pmCalgary IntlYYC
10:00amLondon HeathrowLHR
 8h 35m
Direct
  • YYC
  • LHR
Return Air Canada
1:05pmLondon HeathrowLHR
2:55pmCalgary IntlYYC
 8h 50m
Direct
  • LHR
  • YYC
C$1,825pp airtickets.com
Select

C$1,855 pp Return
Total C$1,855
WithTripsta
C$CAD !

Payment will be taken in Canada Dollars - the basic fare will be C$CAD 1,855 pp
ClassEconomy
Pin Collapse Details
Outbound Air Transat
6:35pmCalgary IntlYYC
10:35amLondon GatwickLGW
 9h 0m
Direct
  • YYC
  • LGW
Return Westjet
12:50pmLondon GatwickLGW
3:15pmCalgary IntlYYC
 9h 25m
Direct
  • LGW
  • YYC
C$1,855pp Tripsta
Select

Shhh! Don't want to miss out on flight options?
tripcentral.ca
C$1,869 pp Return
Total C$1,869
WithWebjet.ca
C$CAD !

Payment will be taken in Canada Dollars - the basic fare will be C$CAD 1,869 pp
ClassEconomy
Pin Collapse Details
Outbound Lufthansa
6:25pmCalgary IntlYYC
10:00amLondon HeathrowLHR
 8h 35m
Direct
  • YYC
  • LHR
Return Lufthansa
1:05pmLondon HeathrowLHR
2:55pmCalgary IntlYYC
 8h 50m
Direct
  • LHR
  • YYC
C$1,869pp Webjet.ca
Select

Quickest
C$2,039 pp Return
Total C$2,039
WithFlightHub
C$CAD !

Payment will be taken in Canada Dollars - the basic fare will be C$CAD 2,039 pp
ClassEconomy
Pin Collapse Details
Outbound Finnair
10:15pmCalgary IntlYYC
1:50pmLondon HeathrowLHR
 8h 35m
Direct
  • YYC
  • LHR
Return British Airways
6:40pmLondon HeathrowLHR
8:25pmCalgary IntlYYC
 8h 45m
Direct
  • LHR
  • YYC
C$2,039pp FlightHub
Select

C$2,153 pp Return
Total C$2,153
WithFaregeek
C$CAD !

Payment will be taken in Canada Dollars - the basic fare will be C$CAD 2,153 pp
ClassEconomy
Pin Collapse Details
Outbound British Airways
10:15pmCalgary IntlYYC
1:50pmLondon HeathrowLHR
 8h 35m
Direct
  • YYC
  • LHR
Return British Airways
6:40pmLondon HeathrowLHR
8:25pmCalgary IntlYYC
 8h 45m
Direct
  • LHR
  • YYC
C$2,153pp Faregeek
Select

2 hours ago, J.O. said:

The TSA likes to blame carry-on baggage but it's just a smokescreen. The real cause is rampant mismanagement.

The sheer volume of trash people are hauling onboard is obviously a problem, but the real problem with the TSA is fifteen years or institutional miasis caused by high-performers quitting in sheer frustration and poor-performers sticking around and advancing.

11 minutes ago, Super 80 said:

The sheer volume of trash people are hauling onboard is obviously a problem, but the real problem with the TSA is fifteen years or institutional miasis caused by high-performers quitting in sheer frustration and poor-performers sticking around and advancing.

I think rather it is the increase in processing time caused by the need to remove belts, jackets, coins, metal articles (from pockets) and then isolate  liquids, electronics etc. from the carry on luggage.   Most travelers seem to be surprised that they need to do this and from personal observations take 4 to 5 mins to do so when they are next to place the items on the belt to the xray station. Watching those who are prepared, they are usually taking less than one min to deposit their items and then proceed though the scanner. Of course the main reason for the delays is that most passengers seem to be maxing out their carryon limits to avoid bag fees.

There have always been inexperienced travelers fumbling at security or immigration, but we have been in a fairly static situation policy-wise for the better part of a decade and in that time the TSA's performance has only deteriorated further.

21 minutes ago, Super 80 said:

There have always been inexperienced travelers fumbling at security or immigration, but we have been in a fairly static situation policy-wise for the better part of a decade and in that time the TSA's performance has only deteriorated further.

Perhaps but I still place the blame on the increase in carry on luggage that must be processed through the scanners.

"really a disgrace"

C Bower (Canada) 5th June 2016

Verified Review | Flew London Gatwick to Toronto with WestJet Airlines. All I kept hearing was that everyones flight was delayed 5+ hours or cancelled all together. And lo and behold today our flight was cancelled from London to Toronto. But that's not the part that has now lost them two customers. There was absolutely no announcement and no information on why or how or what was happening. No one knew what was going on until finally after standing in line for almost 3 hours we were told there were no other flights to get us home until tomorrow at 5pm. The disorganization of this whole ordeal was pathetic to watch, with only one staff member at the counter to help the 100+ who were now displaced because of a cancelled flight, it was really a disgrace to see this from a Canadian company. I will be flying with other airlines from now on.

32 minutes ago, ckl said:

"really a disgrace"

C Bower (Canada) 5th June 2016

Verified Review | Flew London Gatwick to Toronto with WestJet Airlines. All I kept hearing was that everyones flight was delayed 5+ hours or cancelled all together. And lo and behold today our flight was cancelled from London to Toronto. But that's not the part that has now lost them two customers. There was absolutely no announcement and no information on why or how or what was happening. No one knew what was going on until finally after standing in line for almost 3 hours we were told there were no other flights to get us home until tomorrow at 5pm. The disorganization of this whole ordeal was pathetic to watch, with only one staff member at the counter to help the 100+ who were now displaced because of a cancelled flight, it was really a disgrace to see this from a Canadian company. I will be flying with other airlines from now on.

LGW is a dump.  WestJet likely uses outsourced staff there, and their contracted resources must be under constant stress given that WestJet virtually never operates its 767s (or Omni's) in or out of LGW without lengthy delays or cancellations.  They're taking quite a hit on review sites such as the one from which the above was posted.  

Archived