Computer...(OT)

I was running Windows 7 Pro

It seems every week or a little window popped up and asked me if I want to upgrade to Win 10

I declined

Watching TV tonight and I heard an unusual computer "chime"

Walked over to my computer and saw a big FONT saying my computer was being upgraded (did not say to what) and a large circle filling in and sitting at 7%

An hour later I find I have Win 10 now in my desktop PC

How did this happen.....are Win7 users being upgraded alphabetically, height wise, IQ wise, or just randomly based on sex, possibly age or hair color ??

Now I have to get used to a few more quirks that I never asked for and never wanted...Truly, 'Big Brother" must be watching :angry:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you search on Microsoft sneaky update or something similar you will find many others agreeing with you and some discussion on Microsoft's rationale/justification for their actions.

i think sneaky describes it.

Hi Kip,

You probably downloaded and installed optional Update KB3035583 months ago (probably last summer) and this sleeper update was silently waiting to download and install Win 10 at some predetermined date. The same thing that happened to you, happened to me a month or so ago; except I caught it installing Win 10 and I was able to cancel the installation. I deleted KB3035583 and then it showed up the next update so I hid it and now Win 10 will be installed when I want to install it. I was looking forward to Win 10 until I started reading about it and getting negative feedback from friends so I'm still sitting on the fence as to whether or not I'll stick with 8.1

Let us know about the "quirks" you find and if you feel that Win 10 is an improvement over your old OS.

Cheers,

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how-stop-windows-10-upgrade-downloading-your-system

39 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

I was running Windows 7 Pro

. . . . :angry:

Kip, I have to admit to something that I've never done to you  before.

No offence, but I stopped reading after the first line.

I have been using windows 10 since the first week on my personal computer and now am using it on my Work Laptop.  I have no issues with it at all.  it is WAYYYYY faster than my windows 7 ever was.  My laptop boots up in about 9 seconds.  Mind you it is a solid state machine so that helps

What issues?  The ones you can say NO to? What about google? Apple? Any Cell phone from the last 10 years?  If you are worried about someone tracking you then it's time to leave the planet.

No printing issues here.  Seamless both at home and at work

the various feedback etc are turned off in mine. I also use my computer as a local rather than one that identifies with a Microsoft account.

18 minutes ago, boestar said:

What issues?  The ones you can say NO to? What about google? Apple? Any Cell phone from the last 10 years?  If you are worried about someone tracking you then it's time to leave the planet.

Whoa!  Relax pal.  I know that tracking is done by virtually all technologies and almost all manufacturers but if you do a simple search you will see that most experts feel Windows 10 has set a new (higher) level of tracking and remote access to your data, browsing history and information than ever before and if you think you're turning that off with a few checkmarks in a few boxes maybe you should read this:

http://bgr.com/2016/02/10/windows-10-spying-investigation/

Apple is slightly less aggressive with this but they are moving in the same direction so although I'm currently a Mac user I expect to make the switch and go Linux for my next upgrade/replacement.

boestar / seeker. the enhanced tracking feature of windows 10 is well known and documented but it can be shut off if the user so desires.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/want-to-limit-windows-10-tracking-there-is-an-app-for-that/    an app that does it trick

and here is advice on how to regain your privacy I did not use the app but rather got rid of the info that I didn't think that Microsoft needed.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2971725/windows/how-to-reclaim-your-privacy-in-windows-10-piece-by-piece.html

Well you see being in Canada has its advantages.  cortana does not work in Canada as yet so is deactivated by default based on the regional and language settings.

During the initial setup of windows 10 you have the option of linking to your Microsoft Live account or not...NOT... Set it up as a standalone machine.  This mostly eliminates the hooks that Micorsoft uses to force you to a cloud base.

I do not use one drive ...Yet.  In June Microsoft will have a fully developed Canadian Data center in operation.  I may consider it then.

Generally I really don't care if micorsoft, apple or whoever know where I am.  I am not that important.

As for my data that I need to secure, it is all stored on an encrypted hard drive that remains locked unless I need to access that data.  Anything not on that drive is not important enough to care about.

Malcolm, the link I posted says that you cannot turn off all of these tracking features and even your own link says that they cannot be turned off completely.  this is from your link:

Windows 10 uses the Internet a lot to support many of its features. The operating system also sports numerous knobs to twiddle that are supposed to disable most of these features and the potentially privacy-compromising connections that go with them.

Unfortunately for privacy advocates, these controls don't appear to be sufficient to completely prevent the operating system from going online and communicating with Microsoft's servers.

A few thoughts and lessons learned on the Win10 journey.

Cortana is active on my machine despite region being Canada.  This turns out to be important when linked with the next observation.

Windows 10, by Microsoft's own admission, is designed for UNLIMITED internet plans and installs with unlimited use as a default for all Wifi connections.  I figured this out after it chewed through 25% of my plan in just three days.  Outlook was the biggest user, despite having very little actual email traffic that day.  I had a couple of IMAP accounts and a Cloud calendar, that was enough.  Cortana, Edge, Tile update, they all had significant traffic (which you can see in the new Task Manager, App History).

The good news is, you can designate an internet connection as METERED.  You will get annoying popups in Outlook reminding you of this and will have to manually send email.  In my case, making this change reduced my internet burn back to expected values.

FWIW Vs

Yes I managed to skirt the Cortana region block as well but soon turned it off because it keeps bothering me.  It is active on our work laptops however.

Selecting Language US ENGLISH and location as UNITED STATES will get you access to cortana but causes issues with the Windows Store as it is regionalized as well.  Damned Copyright people

Seeker, I find that the ones I needed to shut off were all I would be concerned with so all in my mind did apply.

Key stroke counter, ad tracking, pop ups, Cortina, etc. I also run my computer as a local one, not one that uses my Microsoft account as my ID.  I also left the update feature active but switched it from automatic to notify.

Anything that is left does not bother me.

Cortana works fine in Canada, with settings set to Canada. I have it on my phone and computer, it's great.

Don't know what everyone is so worried about re privacy, you don't have any anymore, anywhere. If you have a smart phone and an internet connection everything you do is public knowledge provided you are the right "public".

Don't do anything on your computer or smartphone that you don't want people to know about, it's pretty simple.

Windows 10 works fine, no problems, bugs, or issues as far as I am concerned. I like the fact that I can sign in to my windows account anywhere on any computer and have my mail and settings right there. Easy peezy.

2 minutes ago, mo32a said:

Don't know what everyone is so worried about re privacy, you don't have any anymore, anywhere. If you have a smart phone and an internet connection everything you do is public knowledge provided you are the right "public".

Don't do anything on your computer or smartphone that you don't want people to know about, it's pretty simple.

Your service provider obviously knows where you are when you have a phone with you but doesn't have to know your banking info, passwords, browsing history.  Windows 10 has a keylogger!  Microsoft records every word you speak into Cortana (as does Apple with Siri).  Obviously on a day to day basis I don't care if Microsoft or Apple record the fact that I've searched for "best Thai restaurant Mississauga" but what if I'm searching for something more personal and what if the system gets hacked or the information gets leaked?  You say you don't care so I'll make you a deal - send me your browsing history for the last year along with your name, address, phone number, email addresses and I'll post the whole thing to Redditt.  I bet you'd care if that happened.  I bet you'd also care if someone writes a virus that hijacks the system and starts sending all your personal data to eastern Europe or China.  It's prudent not paranoid to try to maintain the highest reasonable level of privacy and to resist giving control and access to others.

My browser history deletes on exit.  Just a setting.  My banking information is encrypted at source.  I had my credit card compromized a few weeks ago by using it in person with card in hand.  I have never had anything compromised from my PC.

6 minutes ago, boestar said:

My browser history deletes on exit.  Just a setting.  My banking information is encrypted at source.  I had my credit card compromized a few weeks ago by using it in person with card in hand.  I have never had anything compromised from my PC.

Did you read anything I posted here?  Windows 10 has a keylogger and every site you visit is recorded.  Yeah, I know, I know you turned it off.  So what happens when Microsoft does one of their sneaky updates and turns it all back on again "as a default to benefit the end-user?"  If you think you have managed to outsmart Microsoft and turn all the tracking off you are either delusional or smarter than all the experts out there who say it isn't possible - maybe you have a new career opportunity running computer security seminars waiting for you?

Archived