Off Topic | Best Guitar Player Ever?

FireFox

Guitars are great but nothing can compare with the sound of a pan flute, unless of course it is a bagpipe.

Daughter was a champion highland dancer so over the years we've heard a few tunes. Over and over and over....but still I love them she was piped down the aisle at her wedding and did a full sword dance in her wedding dress.  

Best guitar player ever? Everyone has their favorites. The most melodic players to me are Eric Clapton and Peter Frampton. When they play it looks (and sounds) effortless. 

Ask 100 guitar fans and you'll get 100 answers. 

I think there are amazing examples in every genre of 6 string mastery as well as many examples in each genre. Far too many in my opinion to really label someone the "best" overall. I'll always appreciate a jaw dropping example in any style.:cool:

1 hour ago, DEFCON said:

I think Jimmy Hendrix is pretty much universally accepted as the best guitarist ever overall and remains in a class of his own. 

only if you are isolating "Rock".

• 4 years later...

I am a big fan of Joe Bonamassa, a very talented player.  

There’s a dearth of aviation stories these days, I vote we keep it here. 

One of Tommy’s recent uploads. I played an Australian-made Maton guitar in a shop in Avalon a few months back. One of the most pleasant guitars I’ve ever picked up. Amazing tone and very smooth, consistent action. I couldn’t make it sing like Tommy can, but I still want one!

27 minutes ago, J.O. said:

One of Tommy’s recent uploads. I played an Australian-made Maton guitar in a shop in Avalon a few months back. One of the most pleasant guitars I’ve ever picked up. Amazing tone and very smooth, consistent action. I couldn’t make it sing like Tommy can, but I still want one!

I'm a big fan as well.

I'd love to try an Avalon, currently on the hunt for a nice acoustic...although a little cheaper!

14 hours ago, FireFox said:

Cool your jets Marshall, it's an old thread. If you had taken the time to read the SHORT post, you would have noticed that I asked Admin to move it.

all you have to do is to open the post, click on options and then chose to delete it.

It is Tommy Emmanuel hands down with the only possible other option would being his brother Phil who unfortunately passed away in 2018. They were touring Australia with their father and have been entertaining with their guitars since about 6 years of age. Interestingly enough it was Tommy who used to play rhythm to Phil's lead. Here is the 2 of them together in a concert in 2001. It's a medley of different rock songs, and included in it is a short version of "Walk Don't Run" which I heard played by the Ventures in 1960 and inspired me to take up the guitar. I still play it occasionally in the band I'm in. Watch this video as you'll never see anything like it anywhere else.

List

MICK TAYLOR

In 1965, at age 16, Taylor went to see a John Mayall's Bluesbreakers (featuring Eric Clapton) performance at "The Hop" Woodhall Community Centre, Welwyn Garden City.  Taylor said after seeing that Clapton hadn't appeared, but that his guitar had already been set up on the stage, he approached John Mayall during the interval to ask if he could play with them. Taylor mentioned that he was familiar with the band's repertoire, and after a moment of deliberation, Mayall agreed. Taylor amended, "I wasn't thinking that this was a great opportunity ... I just really wanted to get up on stage and play the guitar."

Mick later joined the Rolling Stones, replacing Brian Jones, from 1969 to 1974, widely believed to be the golden era of the Stones and he played on 5 of their best albums.

image.png.6b8ab05c2aa058be5804f3fbeb84deb9.png

Archived