28 May 2016 - Mark your calendar!

Seeker

Think this thread needs a discussion about the difference between fear and phobia.  Fear is a natural survival instinct, designed to keep us safe from doing things that are going to kill us.  A phobia is when that fear becomes out of the realm of the actual danger to the person.  A few of the more obvious examples are germophobia, or that primal fear of spiders that can't possibly do you any harm, or that crippling fear of flying that some passengers experience.  The reactions and anxieties that people with these phobias experience are way out of proportion to the risk or danger of the situation.

I also think that people who tend to be more pessimistic are more susceptible to developing phobias because they are more likely to expect bad things to happen. 

Another factor here is whether one is naturally sceptical about these kinds of things.  Is the source credible and trustworthy?  Is there an agenda behind it?  My feeling on this one is that it is a blatant attempt to manipulate, so it won't convince me to go beyond my normal state of preparedness.

I'm with cone head though, you can never have enough toilet paper.  Or can you?  :lol:

image.jpeg

How could Nostradamus possibly predict anything past Dec 21 2012?  If he predicted the world would end on that date then anything predicted to occur afterwards would be rendered moot.  Or it could be that the people interpreting it all do not have a clue what it all means and whatever happens, happens.

5 minutes ago, boestar said:

How could Nostradamus possibly predict anything past Dec 21 2012?  If he predicted the world would end on that date then anything predicted to occur afterwards would be rendered moot.  Or it could be that the people interpreting it all do not have a clue what it all means and whatever happens, happens.

Why are you talking about Nostrodamus - the original video is not about his predictions and says nothing about them?

8 hours ago, cp fa said:

Think this thread needs a discussion about the difference between fear and phobia.  Fear is a natural survival instinct, designed to keep us safe from doing things that are going to kill us.  A phobia is when that fear becomes out of the realm of the actual danger to the person.  A few of the more obvious examples are germophobia, or that primal fear of spiders that can't possibly do you any harm, or that crippling fear of flying that some passengers experience.  The reactions and anxieties that people with these phobias experience are way out of proportion to the risk or danger of the situation.

I also think that people who tend to be more pessimistic are more susceptible to developing phobias because they are more likely to expect bad things to happen. 

Another factor here is whether one is naturally sceptical about these kinds of things.  Is the source credible and trustworthy?  Is there an agenda behind it?  My feeling on this one is that it is a blatant attempt to manipulate, so it won't convince me to go beyond my normal state of preparedness.

I'm with cone head though, you can never have enough toilet paper.  Or can you?  :lol:

I've always coined phobias as irrational fears.

Archived