Seven dead in private plane crash in Quebec

dagger

Former federal cabinet minister Jean Lapierre might be among the victims. There we're seven on the flight.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/03/29/small-plane-crashes-in-iles-de-la-madeleine-just-off-eastern-quebec.html

Weather conditions in Havre des Maisons were foggy. Plane broke up (but didn't burn) after either coming up short or overshooting the airport. 

Update - all seven aboard dead. Confirmed Lapierre was one of the victims, as were other members of his family. They were flying home to Cap de la Madeleine for the funeral of his father.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a horrible shame. Deepest sympathies and condolences to the families and friends.

The MU2 is a very difficult airplane to master. I'll never forget the one that went into the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Edmonton in the early 1980's. Miraculously, only those on board died.

1 hour ago, Moon The Loon said:

What a horrible shame. Deepest sympathies and condolences to the families and friends.

The MU2 is a very difficult airplane to master. I'll never forget the one that went into the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Edmonton in the early 1980's. Miraculously, only those on board died.

Interesting statement:

Statement on Mitsubishi MU-2 Aircraft Accident in Canada

WASHINGTON, March 29, 2016 /CNW/ -- Today, Scott Sobel, spokesperson for Mitsubishi Heavy Industries America, released the following statement regarding the MU-2 accident in Les Îles-de-la-Madeleine, Canada:

"Mitsubishi Heavy Industries America sends its deepest condolences to those in grief after the terrible loss of the pilots and passengers involved in the accident. There are initial reports of bad weather during the time of the accident, but we know nothing else at this time. Mitsubishi investigators are gathering all information that they can and, of course, will cooperate with investigating authorities, both in Canada and the U.S., as we understand the plane is registered in the U.S. The majority of approximately 270 MU-2 aircraft are registered in the United States where the aircraft has a best in its class safety record during the last eight years. According to U.S. Federal Aviation Administration regulations, MU-2 pilots have to be current and up-to-date in their training in order to fly the aircraft. Again, the Mitsubishi aviation family is deeply saddened by the reports of this accident and sends condolences to the loved ones of those aboard the aircraft that went down at Les Îles-de-la-Madeleine," said Sobel.

SOURCE Scott Sobel, spokesperson for Mitsubishi Heavy Industries America rt.gif?NewsItemId=C7687&Transmission_Id=

CYGR 291548Z 04020G27KT 2SM -RA BR OVC002 00/M00 A2884 RMK FG2SF6 SLP768
CYGR 291517Z 05017G27KT 2SM -RA BR BKN002 OVC008 00/M00 A2884 RMK FG2SF5SC1 SLP768

Assuming an approach on 07, the lowest MDA is on the LOC DME, 458'AGL.  The RNAV is 598'. 

If the above 1548Z wx was the most likely, then the odds of good visual reference at the MDA would be low.  It's a relatively short runway (4500') and a pretty hot airplane.  

Just my opinion, but I've been in and out of there several times, and it was never one of my favourites when the wx was down.

Very sad for the Lapierre family, and for the Island people who are not unlike a big family themselves.

Operated by a Montreal area aviation businessman and, as near as I can tell, a flight instructor was his co-pilot.  The CBC has released the names of all aboard.  Word on the other forum is that the airplane was US registered because he couldn't get any insurance coverage on it in Canada

Mr Lapierre has been a political analyst on English and French media for the past decade and was very popular with the public in that role.  He didn't chose sides as an analyst and he had a real knack for getting past the headlines and presenting the real politics in terms everybody could understand.  I'm not sure there's anybody like him outside of Quebec.  His loss will be felt by many.  

17 hours ago, Moon The Loon said:

Only the two Pilots were onboard, one died and one was severely injured.  Both very high time Pilots, surviving Pilot went on to work for MOT and eventually head of Safety at Canadi>n.  To the best of my knowledge nobody figured out what happened?  Wouldn't get me, or any of my family, in the back of a MU2.

Looks like it will be classified a CFIT given the location and skid mark. Couldn't see the wings though, just one fuel tank near a tree. A very sad accident. Has any information been released about the pilots and their qualifications?

In the longest video which shows the airport in the background, the flight path trajectory seems to be perpendicular to the runway direction. Circling approach gone wrong?

10 hours ago, J.O. said:

In the longest video which shows the airport in the background, the flight path trajectory seems to be perpendicular to the runway direction. Circling approach gone wrong?

I don't believe there are any approaches for 16/34.  Since the aircraft impacted on the approach end for runway 07 and since the wind on the day of the accident favoured 07 I think it's safe to assume the pilots were conducting a straight-in 07 approach.  Of course this information will already be known by the investigators from the FSS and ATC tapes.  I took a screenshot from the drone video and found the accident location on Google Earth.  I was able to confirm this location using the lat/long information from the drone video.  Drawing a line that approximates the skid marks gives a magnetic track of 105 degrees.  This track of 105 is approximate for several reasons;  1) I'm just eyeballing it from a few videos, 2) the slope of the ground is not accounted for, 3) we have no idea what the aircraft was doing just before hitting the ground - he may have been in a turn.  The runway is 072 degrees. 

drone screen shot.jpg

GE screen shot.jpg

I don't believe there are any approaches for 16/34

Hi Seeker

There is an RNAV 16, and interestingly it has the lowest straight-in MDA of all the approaches at that airport.  The latest TSB update says they were cleared for an approach to 07.

From the TSB:

What we know

• Moncton Air Traffic Control cleared the aircraft for an instrument approach to Runway 07 at les Îles-de-la-Madeleine Airport.
  • Preliminary observations indicate that the aircraft was near wings level in a slight nose-high attitude at impact. More analysis of the aircraft attitude at impact is required.
  • The wreckage is contained in a 150m x 150m field. The aircraft came to rest approximately 91m from the initial point of impact.
  • Initial assessments indicate that the engines were producing power at the time of impact.
  • The investigation will examine previous occurrences with this type of aircraft, and subsequent safety action taken in Canada, the United States (U.S.) and other jurisdictions.
  • It is believed that there is a GPS tracking device installed in the aircraft. The team will recover the device for further analysis.
  • Approach-and-landing is a phase of flight during which a high number of accidents take place. The investigation will be paying close attention to this Watchlist issue.

10 minutes ago, Canoehead said:

Hi Seeker

There is an RNAV 16, and interestingly it has the lowest straight-in MDA of all the approaches at that airport.  The latest TSB update says they were cleared for an approach to 07.

The aircraft came to rest approximately 91m from the initial point of impact.

I did my own plot of the skid marks on the picture above and came up with 90 metres - pretty close.

Didn't know about the RNAV 16 APP - RNAV didn't even exist when I was flying in there.

6 hours ago, DEFCON said:

Altimeter setting?

Good point DEFCON....   A2884 according to the METAR. I suspect this potential error would be obvious to the investigators at the scene.

45 minutes ago, Slim said:

Good point DEFCON....   A2884 according to the METAR. I suspect this potential error would be obvious to the investigators at the scene.

I believe NavCan SOP when altimeter settings are below the 29" mark is to state: "I repeat 2 EIGHT 8 4".

Could feasibly be a contributory factor.

Doubt it though. Looks like he found some visibililty below limits, then tried to maintain visual and circle to land.

5 hours ago, DEFCON said:

I haven't seen the wx report, but I would expect the air temp was below standard which would have required an altitude correction as well.

Temp was zero; altimeter 28.84". I say again, 28.84" (!) From Canoehead's post near the top of the thread.

5 hours ago, Moon The Loon said:

Temp was zero; altimeter 28.84". I say again, 28.84" (!) From Canoehead's post near the top of the thread.

Correct on the double 28.84... my point was simply that this potential error, if it actually occurred, could be easily corroborated at the crash site.  Conversely it could be ruled out as well. Condolences to those involved.

Archived