Rob Ford Checks-Out

Kip Powick

I think he offended the press rather than pandered to them with the result none of his obits avoid mentioning his failings.  It's easy pickings for them.  They dismiss him as a buffoon from their elitist perch but never seem to stop to consider that they are still missing the underlying reasons for his popularity.  I see the same thing happening with Trump.  People are so disillusioned with the status quo of our current political system that our democracies have essentially been reduced to voting for the least offensive or not voting at all.  Short of being a convicted murderer, any candidate offering to change that dynamic is a welcome change to many regardless of the perceived consequences.

The really ignorant folks through this past Ford era are the ones that criticize Ford on one hand but fail to consider that a senate expense scandal or single supplier contracts handed out to party supporters are the tip of the iceberg in terms of real threats to democracy and good leadership than is a single mayor with a few dependencies who only has one vote on council. 

• 2 weeks later...

He offended all - equally.  Nothing fairer than that. 

Toronto is a divided city and becoming more so every day.  It's essentially run by developers and they only have the downtown or inner suburbs on their minds.  .  The rest of the city is pretty much overlooked.  The people living out there are ticked off at the status quo and Ford personified that anger. He shook things up and people liked it   They certainly couldn't do worse given the other candidates at the time - all from the same 'downtown first' school of thought.  None of them really cared about his pecadilloes.   

11 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

We cancelled our Toronto Star subscription several years ago because of the paper's reporting this kind of news.

What newsreporters forget to mention is John Tory beat Rob Ford's stand-in brother Doug, not Rob. The final vote 390,000 to 330,000. Not exactly a runaway but it was a record turnout of voters in Toronto.  I don't think it was Tory who got people interested in a municipal election. 

Had Rob Ford not gotten sick, I along with many others believe he would have been re-elected Mayor of Toronto, no matter how much a of train wreck he may have been. 

Archived