Rob Ford Checks-Out

Kip Powick

Ex- Mayor of Toronto, Rob Ford "flew west" this morning.

As much as I despised his personal behaviour, as well as his unrelenting embarrassing actions as the Mayor of Toronto and resident of Canada, no one should have to "check-out' at the young  age 46.

13 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

Ex- Mayor of Toronto, Rob Ford "flew west" this morning.

As much as I despised his personal behaviour, as well as his unrelenting embarrassing actions as the Mayor of Toronto and resident of Canada, no one should have to "check-out' at the young  age 46.

Leaving a wife and young children. He had a successful political career as a city councillor, and politicians can learn from how he built up trust with his community, but as mayor, he was awful, and not just because of his addictions. Foisting the Scarborough subway on the city was a disgrace we're paying for already with a special tax, and no one can agree on whether it will be any improvement on the LRT the province was willing to fully fund.

Out of respect for anyone related to the Ford family I think this threads deserves a new title. 

I think if you're going to list his flaws and errors perhaps you might include the things he did that benefited the city of Toronto.

Also note when Ford was going through his drug issues, other city councillors were fighting DUI charges.  

4 hours ago, blues deville said:

Out of respect for anyone related to the Ford family I think this threads deserves a new title. 

I think if you're going to list his flaws and errors perhaps you might include the things he did that benefited the city of Toronto.

Also note when Ford was going through his drug issues, other city councillors were fighting DUI charges.  

Indeed the title is in poor taste and perhaps indicative of a grudge that continues beyond the grave. Really all we can say is "rest in peace" and hope that others will extend us the same courtesy...otherwise "let him who is without sin cast the first stone".

Awww get over it..

"Has Flown  West" is an airline saying for an airline  pilot who passes away...

"Checked - out" is a saying for many a Military individual who has departed.

Both can be used in any context of an individual who has passed away. be he civilian or Military

MD2...you  must certainly must have better things to do than nit-pick a thread title and offer up unfounded  insinuations about the author.

15 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

Awww get over it..

"Has Flown  West" is an airline saying for an airline  pilot who passes away...

"Checked - out" is a saying for many a Military individual who has departed.

Both can be used in any context of an individual who has passed away. be he civilian or Military

I believe most people here are familiar with those sayings, however, he was neither.

He loved coaching his high school football team until that was taken away by the Catholic Schoolboard. Perhaps a football reference might be a better choice. :)

3 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

I do believe he was a civilian

Neither an airline pilot or military service is what I was refering to in my response to your post. 

I know when Kevin Harvick or Jimmie Johnson are well ahead of the pack NASCAR announcers will often say they've "checked out". 

Forgawd's sakes guys, I thought it was a funny title, one that fit perfectly.

More to the point - 46 is young.

30 minutes ago, John S. said:

Forgawd's sakes guys, I thought it was a funny title, one that fit perfectly.

More to the point - 46 is young.

Agreed. Cancer is a horrible thing. So is dying from it at 46 or any age for that matter. 

But did you think everyone would agree with comments like "despised" or "unrelenting embarrassing actions" about someone who just passed away from cancer? 

OK Blues....how about if he died in a car crash...my comments would still stand as far as I am concerned.

His cause of death is a "non issue". The death at a young age is the sad issue and I alluded to it. I think I am entitled to my opinion about his personal conduct and I would guess that many are thinking the same thing but wanting to being personally politically correct feel it is inappropriate to make such  comments...I do not think it is inappropriate. I called it the way I saw it..... with no filters.

Did you catch some of  the Toronto  City council hypocrites on TV tonight raving about his life....yet the same people basically wanted him "hung out to dry and drummed" out of the city when he was in the midst of his  highly questionable actions?

Perhaps you and many more feel he was the best thing that ever happened to the City of Toronto...I do not, nor do I feel  he was a good example  for the youth of today who may be contemplating getting into politics. Yes, it is sad that he leaves a young family behind but perhaps that could have been avoided if he had taken the correct steps to get his life on track, both physically, and mentally.

My name is out there attached to the post and I do not hide behind anonymity and never have. If some on this forum feel that I am being unreasonable on any topic I would suggest that they missed the thread concerning how to ignore a post, (sorry-thread has since been removed), but I assume everyone knows how to "ignore".

Flame away !! 

I have no issue with Kip's choice of words. We each express ourselves in our own way and in fact I think you'd find that Ford himself could have said something similar if given the opportunity.

Personally, I despised Rob Ford the politician. He pandered to the lowest form of human divisiveness through his discourse and he flipped the bird to any who would suggest that his record nowhere near matched his rhetoric (look it up, it's true). He failed to recognize that unlike a Prime Minister or Premier, a mayor is but one vote on council and has no party affiliation that can be used to swing votes their way. Good mayors build consensus, they don't bully their way through to get what they want.

I feel sorry for his family. I hope they find peace and have plenty of good memories to help them through a difficult time. Their personal lives were intruded upon repeatedly because of his personal choices and actions. Now, his kids will face life without a father figure. I can't prove it but I'd bet a week's pay that his lifestyle choices led to his early demise. I'm sure he loved them in his own way but sometimes his actions called that love into question.

Death is never a sad thing; the way in which we may deal with it may be, as is the case here. Since some are such advocates of freedom of speech, I exercise mine by not attacking others for their choice of words and actions, or even their choice to attack the memory of a dead person even before he is even put into the ground; rather by sharing that I personally never knew the guy, but for all his shortcomings, many remember Rob Ford as a generous person whose generosity touched many in inconspicuous ways and find his service as a mayor meritorious and certainly much stronger than his predecessor. As for their shortcomings, let's just hope others are more kind when they "check-out"!

Kip, I heard the live 680 News broadcast of Mayor John Tory, PM Justin Trudeau's comments from Ottawa and much of the tv news about the passing of Rob Ford. It is interesting to hear Toronto city councillor's comments today and what those same individuals were saying during last year's mayoral election. However, we all know during elections people take sides and use whatever they can to harm their opponents. It can get pretty nasty. I don't think the youth of today considered him any kind of role model but I believe had he stayed in the election as mayor, the youth of Toronto would have helped re-elect him due to all of the media attention.

Don't get me wrong, Ford was no angel and I never said he was the best thing that ever happened to Toronto. Those are your words. But I do look after an in-law who lives in the city and I know first hand how her neighbourhood and other issues affecting seniors in her area were improved because of Ford and his time as Mayor. If you can make a similar statement, please do.

As far as anonymity on this forum, a majority who visit AEF use a handle. So that's a non-issue. IMHO, what is an issue is making a initial post such as yours. If you didn't think you were going to receive an opposing viewpoint ( to which I am also entitled) on this topic, you were mistaken.

Responses are certainly welcome..I have no problem with rational  opinions and civil replies. Opposing opinions are certainly expected but I would suggest that  the authors of such views show some civility when crafting their remarks.

I do have a problem with individuals making personal assumptions concerning my character. As stated I do not hide behind anonymity and cast disparaging remarks about any member on this forum but do  get  justifiably annoyed at cheap shots.

As an aside, and it has been mentioned on this forum many times...tone, syntax, and grammar sometimes get misinterpreted during thread inputs. Here is an example :

I posted........Perhaps you and many more feel he was the best thing that ever happened to the City of Toronto.

You posted ..... and I never said he was the best thing that ever happened to Toronto. Those are your words.

You can see how those two statements are in conflict.... I never said...... that you said he was the best thing that ever happened to Toronto....etc

I posted perhaps you and many more feel..etc. 

Is this nit picking..?....perhaps..... but I am sure you can see how, in the heat of what we both feel is a rational discussion, opinions and misinterpretations based on what we read  can be made by both authors. Am I guilty of such misinterpretations during discussions..? .absolutely.... and I have no problem being courteously corrected and I hope other authors feel the same way.

With respect to  Trudeau's sound byte  concerning the passing of RF  you must know that the PM did not praise Ford for any of his "work" but gave a very short,  speech concerning the loss of a young man and his heartfelt sorrow for his wife and children. And "no" I can't make a statement where RF has had a positive affect on my life or anyone I personally know....remember I live out here in "Smallville";)

If the thread subject had been Brussels and the title "Brussels bombing victims check-out", would the reaction of this community be the same? If not, then I suggest it is the subject of the remark that is the focus.

If offense is taken by some but not all, offense is still given. If no offense is intended (or anticipated), then surely it takes little effort to correct. However, if one cares nought whether they give offense then I suppose the proper course is to vigorously uphold and defend one 's offending remarks.

No offence intended in this posting Upperdeck

Yup, sometimes I am not politically correct ...I can live with it...can you ???

check out

3. Die,... as in When he got cholera, he was sure he'd check out.

I am not commenting in respect of the generality of the thread title in question, but is it really necessary to apologize every time someone takes offence to a comment? I mean, political correctness has taken society right off the rails and into the weeds. Perhaps Canadians ought to learn to develop a tougher skin and get over themselves at the same time?

Archived