Porter looking for a buyer? Again? Still?

dagger

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

Yes, you are correct,  for quoting  an entire posting, but what if you only want to "quote" a small section of a rambling piece of dialogue???

Give it a try:wacko:

Well thenof course all you need to do is highlight and delete.  Really too simple to confuse.  :lol:

Why is the sale of parts, or all of Porter always discussed in a manner that's really quite disrespectful to the Company, especially considering its successes when at the same time pieces, or even all of every publically traded corporation is on sale each & every day?

3 minutes ago, anonymous said:

What successes?

Still operating, still employing a number of our peers and of course providing good service to their customers.:thumbup:

10 hours ago, anonymous said:

What successes?

I'm glad you asked! You know the sad thing is that in advanced countries people are happy to have more choices and competition, but it seems that in the case of Porter some have a personal vendetta! At any rate, here are but some of the highlights of Porter's success:

- In 10 years it has grown to 26 aircraft (soon to be more) and 24 destinations from downtown Toronto giving travelers a choice they did not have before.

- It employs over 1200 people and many more indirectly at the airport, Bombardier and other suppliers.

- Its business has grown to include over 2.5 million passengers per year. The highest number ever achieved at Toronto City airport was 400,000 per annum in late 80s by City Express before it was bankrupted by Air Canada.

- It has improved air travel and brought service back to the extent that Air Canada and WestJet offer similar services on routes which they compete with Porter.

- It has improved access to Toronto City airport by commissioning new large ferries and recently a brand new tunnel for pedestrians and services to the Islands.

- With its confidence in its business, it constructed a passenger terminal at the airport with its own money and risk which later sold for a handsome profit that it will use in funding its next phase of growth.

- Speaking of which, it has placed a conditional order for Canadian built C series aircraft to showcase its capabilities to the world. This will put Canadians to work in Ontario and Quebec and create more direct and indirect jobs in Toronto and stimulate the economy. It will also make visiting downtown Toronto more accessible for others.

- By paying fees to the Ports Toronto and increasing traffic to the airport, for the first time the airport is profitable meeting its obligations to the city of Toronto.

This is just a sample. With its new order, U.S preclearance, more flights to farther destinations, more jobs will be created and the terminal will become more inviting with shops, restaurants and other businesses stimulating the economy even more and giving Toronto another great airport that it needs...

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 8:38 PM, MD2 said:

I'm glad you asked! You know the sad thing is that in advanced countries people are happy to have more choices and competition, but it seems that in the case of Porter some have a personal vendetta! At any rate, here are but some of the highlights of Porter's success:

- In 10 years it has grown to 26 aircraft (soon to be more) and 24 destinations from downtown Toronto giving travelers a choice they did not have before.

- It employs over 1200 people and many more indirectly at the airport, Bombardier and other suppliers.

- Its business has grown to include over 2.5 million passengers per year. The highest number ever achieved at Toronto City airport was 400,000 per annum in late 80s by City Express before it was bankrupted by Air Canada.

- It has improved air travel and brought service back to the extent that Air Canada and WestJet offer similar services on routes which they compete with Porter.

- It has improved access to Toronto City airport by commissioning new large ferries and recently a brand new tunnel for pedestrians and services to the Islands.

- With its confidence in its business, it constructed a passenger terminal at the airport with its own money and risk which later sold for a handsome profit that it will use in funding its next phase of growth.

- Speaking of which, it has placed a conditional order for Canadian built C series aircraft to showcase its capabilities to the world. This will put Canadians to work in Ontario and Quebec and create more direct and indirect jobs in Toronto and stimulate the economy. It will also make visiting downtown Toronto more accessible for others.

- By paying fees to the Ports Toronto and increasing traffic to the airport, for the first time the airport is profitable meeting its obligations to the city of Toronto.

This is just a sample. With its new order, U.S preclearance, more flights to farther destinations, more jobs will be created and the terminal will become more inviting with shops, restaurants and other businesses stimulating the economy even more and giving Toronto another great airport that it needs...

Is the wine glass half full or half empty?

It seems that Frank Magazine disagrees with your assessment with those rose tinted glasses on-the headline says it all !

"Porter Airlines stalls out, backers pack parachutes; Please return Bob Deluce to the upright position"

https://frankmag.ca/2016/02/16195/

It is behind a paywall but usually with them; where there's smoke there is fire.....

Can you imagine how the dynamics of this debate are going to change when TC in cooperation with whatever agency Trudeau creates announces the project to construct a new southerly relocated Runway 26 and a corresponding 31.

Kip, or Malcolm ... How do you take two individual snippets from a 'rambling piece of dialogue' and paste it into a response?

I used to be able to cut a snippet from someone's post and paste it to a word document, draft a response around the quote, or quotes and then place it all into a reply; I cannot do that any longer?

Finally, there seems to be a non-functional 'post reply' button at the bottom left, which means you have to return to the top right of the page to access the key that allows one to post a reply? IOW's, to reply to a thread, you have to go from the bottom of the page, back to the top and to the bottom again to post a response.  

It's funny what Toronto can do with a modern day lake landfill project when they want to; i.e. the huge land extension pictured below.

Imagine then how minimal the amount of landfill is that's necessary to constructing a new southerly displaced Runway 25, and while we're at it, a new Runway 31 - 34 too. Local Island interests could be addressed with a small amount of digging, dredging and landfilling as well. It seems to me that this approach could be a win - win situation for all concerned.

152838229.jpg

1 hour ago, DEFCON said:

Can you imagine how the dynamics of this debate are going to change when TC in cooperation with whatever agency Trudeau creates announces the project to construct a new southerly relocated Runway 26 and a corresponding 31.

Kip, or Malcolm ... How do you take two individual snippets from a 'rambling piece of dialogue' and paste it into a response?

I used to be able to cut a snippet from someone's post and paste it to a word document, draft a response around the quote, or quotes and then place it all into a reply; I cannot do that any longer?

Finally, there seems to be a non-functional 'post reply' button at the bottom left, which means you have to return to the top right of the page to access the key that allows one to post a reply? IOW's, to reply to a thread, you have to go from the bottom of the page, back to the top and to the bottom again to post a response.  

All you do is to Left click onto the line you want to copy, drag the mouse holding the left mouse key down,  turning the line to be copied blue and then right click and select copy. As I did below.  Above of course I used the quote button to put the full quote into my reply.

DEFCON

OK the above sentence was copied and dropped into a blank Word Doc then italicized and colored

IOW's, to reply to a thread, you have to go from the bottom of the page, back to the top and to the bottom again to post a response. 

The sentence directly above this sentence was copied and pasted into the same  blank Word Doc then italicized.

I then copied all that I wrote....your copied/pasted sentences and mine under your two from the MSWord Doc and then I copied all of it and "pasted" them into this REPLY .

The next move is for me to click on the BLUE  SUBMIT REPLY button in the lower right hand corner of this window. When I do that ....this should end up in the thread as a reply.

18 hours ago, DEFCON said:

It's funny what Toronto can do with a modern day lake landfill project when they want to; i.e. the huge land extension pictured below.

Imagine then how minimal the amount of landfill is that's necessary to constructing a new southerly displaced Runway 25, and while we're at it, a new Runway 31 - 34 too. Local Island interests could be addressed with a small amount of digging, dredging and landfilling as well. It seems to me that this approach could be a win - win situation for all concerned.

152838229.jpg

Somewhere around 2007 I visited YTZ and just happen to ride the ferry boat with Bob Deluce. I knew him from my previous airline and had flown his family to OGG many years ago. I asked him the same question. Why not build a new city airport out on the Leslie street spit? It's a huge area and quite far south of the city shore line. I believe his response at the time was the cost to do such a large project. 

I know currently the Leslie street spit has become a year round habitat for a variety of birds (no shortage of garbage) and I suppose this would also be an issue in 2016. My most serious bird strike (Canada Goose) was at YTZ in a shiny new Dash8. It wasn't pretty but the dehavilland came out the winner. 

I like the idea of expanding the YTZ airport surface with a new 08-26 parallel runway south and west from the current centreline out into Lake Ontario. Perhaps add a new 33-15 while they're at it.

1 hour ago, blues deville said:

I like the idea of expanding the YTZ airport surface with a new 08-26 parallel runway south and west from the current centreline out into Lake Ontario. Perhaps add a new 33-15 while they're at it.

Sure sounds good - let's be sure to make it 100% privately funded however.  No public dollars involved and I'm all for it.  After all there's a perfectly good airport 20 minutes away so why should the taxpayer buy another one?

36 minutes ago, seeker said:

Sure sounds good - let's be sure to make it 100% privately funded however.  No public dollars involved and I'm all for it.  After all there's a perfectly good airport 20 minutes away so why should the taxpayer buy another one?

Toronto's only going to get bigger. NYC has several airports (3 majors and several smaller fields) for airline and executive use. This would be a pro-active start to meeting future demand.

2 hours ago, seeker said:

If public money is to be spent, it would be a much better investment than a "New Professional Sport" facility

2 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

it would be a much better investment than a "New Professional Sport" facility

The new arena in Edmonton is the catalyst for a vast rebuild of the older area of the downtown.

The actual investment of 'public' monies is tiny, but most of the investment is coming from an additional levy on the areas around the new arena.  The ones that will benefit are the ones paying the tab.

Alberta is in a serious recession except for the city of Edmonton.  The city is doing OK because of the construction spending around the new arena.

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/projects_redevelopment/downtown-arena.aspx

23 minutes ago, Fido said:

The new arena in Edmonton is the catalyst for a vast rebuild of the older area of the downtown.

The actual investment of 'public' monies is tiny, but most of the investment is coming from an additional levy on the areas around the new arena.  The ones that will benefit are the ones paying the tab.

Alberta is in a serious recession except for the city of Edmonton.  The city is doing OK because of the construction spending around the new arena.

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/projects_redevelopment/downtown-arena.aspx

I think the city of Edmonton also knows that what goes down will also come back up and this is a good time to build.

10 minutes ago, blues deville said:

I think the city of Edmonton also knows that what goes down will also come back up and this is a good time to build.

There is still a lot of criticism in the city over this project.

Most of the criticism comes from Lefties and their complaint is that their "hard earned dollars" are going to support a billionaire.  They fail to acknowledge that the actions of the billionaire are rebuilding the downtown.

Here is what is going on and being built:

http://icedistrict.com/

3 hours ago, blues deville said:

Toronto's only going to get bigger. NYC has several airports (3 majors and several smaller fields) for airline and executive use. This would be a pro-active start to meeting future demand.

Got it - from the "Field of Dreams" school of Urban planning, Build it and they will come!

Archived