Personalized Licence Plates

blues deville

Blues deluxe and I have joked that if you can't decipher someone's personalized licence plate then what was the point of paying extra for the piece of tin? However, last week I was folllowing a car out of the YYZ employee lot and thought this one was a clever combination of letters (Max eight characters in ON) and numbers telling a life long career story.

ND2CP2AC

Too bad the plate will probably self-destruct in record time. Don't know if anyone else has noticed, but Ontario plates are horrendous - 1 in 5 plates is delaminating; 1 in 10 is very difficult to read; 1 in 20 are completely illegible. Many drivers have covers, tinted or otherwise, hiding the plate from the observer.

1 in 25 are expired!

Police enforcement of illegible/expired plates? Unknown. Seemingly non-esistant.

This all from my personal observations over the past 5 years. I've started a photo essay and hopefully will collect over 1,000 different examples to submit to the Gov't of Ontario asking the question: "WTF?"

Attached de-identified. The "ANS" plate photo was taken in October 2015; LP 88 in August 2014; the other two in October 2014.

DANSR 7.JPG

LP 88.JPG

AADT 056.JPG

BCRP 371.JPG

The thing that pisses me off the most is I've never seen any other jurisdiction's plates that are as awful as Ontario's. There are still some 3 number/3 letter plates around. fewer 3 letter/3 number plates, but most of those old early 1980's plates are still in relatively good condition.

The 4 letter/3 number plates came into existence with the introduction of photo-radar in Ontario in the late 80's (?) early 90's (?) and were designed to be retro-reflective to give good "hits" with the photography for positive ID. It really looks like the stamped galvanized plates now have a decal overlay.

And yeah, I wonder how the 407 Highway cameras pick any of these up. But they do photograph front and back plates so unless the damaged plates were willfully damaged, I'm sure most cars get dinged. But red-light cameras only do rear plates. It is those that are the worst I've seen.

17 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Bad manufacturing or too much salt on the roads?

Good question Malcolm. The rust? Well, they are galvanized steel. Or are supposed to be, so less susceptible to corrosion. I can't explain the delamination. The bone of contention is the lack of enforcement of legible tags and of course, the embarrassment of living in the only province/state in NORTH AMERICA where vehicle licence plates generally look like sh!t.

Peeling licence plates a problem across Ontario

Waterloo Region Record

GUELPH — If your Ontario licence plate is cracked or peeling, you're not alone.

Anne-Marie Flanagan, a spokesperson for Service Ontario, said she couldn't confirm whether the problem comes down to "a bad batch," of plates or why exactly it's happening,

"What we can say is that we're aware that some individuals have experienced an issue with the reflective lamination bubbling or peeling off their licence plates," she said. This includes drivers in the Guelph and Wellington area.

Flanagan added the issue affects less than one per cent of the 1.3 million licence plates produced annually. One per cent of 1.3 million adds up to 13,000 plates.

Flanagan said Service Ontario started receiving complaints about deteriorating licence plates around October 2012.

If someone has a peeling or cracking plate, she said they should come to a Service Ontario Centre. Plates can be replaced under the warranty for free for up to five years. After that, people have to pay for new plates, she said.

Flanagan said Service Ontario has not noticed any pattern to the defective plates.

"We're working with our manufacturer to determine the cause," she said.

All license plates in Ontario are made by Trilcor Correctional Industries, which markets products made by Ontario prisoners, to federal, provincial and municipal governments, as well as school boards and not-for-profit organizations.

According to information on the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Service's website,Trilcor also makes items such as inmate clothing, bike racks for the Ministry of Natural Resources, and pen and pencil sets for the Ontario Public Service.

Trilcor has been making licence plates since 1991, Brent Ross, a spokesperson with the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services, wrote in an emailed response to questions.

They are made at Central East Correctional Centre, in Lindsay, Ont., he wrote.

"As this issue has been experienced in other jurisdictions in Canada and the U.S., the vendors who supply the raw material are conducting accelerated testing to determine the cause," he continued.

The licence plates themselves and the materials used in making them have changed over the years, said Flanagan.

"Part of it is to meet retroreflective requirements for visibility and also to address environmental issues related to solvent-based paint. They're basically made of two parts, which are the aluminum and a laminate that goes over top."

In Ontario, it is an offence under Highway Traffic Act to drive without legible plates.

"I can't speak to what charges may be laid, but the reality is that it is the responsibility of the vehicle owner under the highway traffic act to replace their plates if they are not plainly visible," said Flanagan.

"We recommend anyone who's experiencing any issues with their plates to come in, because obviously you don't want to take that chance," she added.

23 minutes ago, Fido said:

Today, I spotted an Alberta plate that was unreadable until I was next to it at a red-light.  

It was a relatively new plate judging by the three letters with which it started.

There is the "ODD" idiot that paints over the Red numbers with white paint.

""Part of it is to meet retroreflective requirements for visibility and also to address environmental issues related to solvent-based paint. They're basically made of two parts, which are the aluminum and a laminate that goes over the top"

Great article, Kip, and timely in the thread! This quote supports what Malcolm asked earlier. Interesting though that the article suggests the problem started in late 2013 where the AADT plate was issued in the 1990's.

This one was issued in early 2008:

BDXE 810.JPG

You Got it Kip.  It helps to look in the rear view mirror sometimes!

First on I ever saw was in LA:

02BNLUV  and cruising down the Santa Monica Blvd. on a sunny day.

Regarding CZI, I am not sure if someone gave it to his significant other or the person was doing a self definition.

Amazing what can now be printed on a plate. Years ago in Manitoba, a roommate of mine wanted "BIG D" on a vanity plate. His name was Darryl, an air traffic controller, who had tried out for the Winnepg Blue Bombers, so he was in fact, a big guy. 

Was denied by the Manitoba license bureau. 

2 minutes ago, blues deville said:

Amazing what can now be printed on a plate. Years ago in Manitoba, a roommate of mine wanted "BIG D" on a vanity plate. His name was Darryl, an air traffic controller, who had tried out for the Winnepg Blue Bombers, so he was in fact, a big guy. 

Was denied by the Manitoba license bureau. 

I'll bet that the Manitoba License bureau would also deny Albert, Ben, Charlie, Frank, Hank, John, and even Oscar if they applied.

33 minutes ago, Moon The Loon said:

There was such a fad for these things in the 90's, a game show developed. Can't remember but it lasted a couple years!

"Bumper Stumpers"...created by Wink Martindale.........produced in Canada...1987-90

Max prize in bonus round was $2000.00 - $2500.00:o:D

Archived