Where be.......

Kip Powick

El BEANO ?????

Anyone heard from him or is he on another world tour/vacation ? :biggrin1:

Not like him to be so quiet, even after WJ put out another Christmas video and posted good seasonal results.....and then there is his pontificating on the Racoon's future..... :103::Grin-Nod:

Merry Christmas everyone....Lets all hope for a great 2016 :checkmark::Clap-Hands::Clap-Hands::Clap-Hands:

Probably got fed up with all the "comments" made when ever he provided us with the "Real" numbers. For my part I miss his posts but perhaps if enough of us invite him back........

The Bean only liked posting stuff that showed the his favourite airline was the best, smartest, coolest, most financially secure, had the happiest employees... Now that his (second) least favourite airline is doing quite well and his favourite airline has crested, there's not much for him to crow about.

I am a bit surprised, though, that he hasn't been on to drive a nail into his least favourite airline, given the Liberal stand on jets at The Island.

He used to post interesting numbers, but only when they went his way. That's not insight, that's bragging.

The Bean only liked posting stuff that showed the his favourite airline was the best, smartest, coolest, most financially secure, had the happiest employees... Now that his (second) least favourite airline is doing quite well and his favourite airline has crested, there's not much for him to crow about.

I am a bit surprised, though, that he hasn't been on to drive a nail into his least favourite airline, given the Liberal stand on jets at The Island.

He used to post interesting numbers, but only when they went his way. That's not insight, that's bragging.

I gave you more credit than you deserved apparently. My bad.

I call 'em like I see 'em. That applies to Bean or any other subject and I'm willing to put my name at the top of my posts. If my opinion on this one particular subject drops my credit rating in your eyes, I'm sorry that you feel that way. We can't agree on everything.

I didn't disagree on everything that Bean posted, and even "Liked" some of his posts, but there is no question that he had an indisputable, singular, even mean-spirited, bias that ran through almost everything he posted.

Bean never hesitated to show numbers when WS was doing great, especially when AC, or any other airline, was having troubles. It was tough to read sometimes, especially when it was often clearly meant to belittle the place I have worked for decades and which provides my family with food and shelter. There was times when I wasn't sure how long AC was going to last, but Bean never hesitated to rub the numbers in my nose with his posts.

Many of us, including me, have biases, but most of us also give credit where it is due. That was never the case with Bean... there was never recognition of anything positive at other airlines.... only that WS had a better CASM or RASM or...something.

I don't think that anyone could dispute my perspective. I don't recall a single post from Bean that said anything good about Porter, AT or AC, or any other airline other than Westjet.... maybe Southwest. Bean never hesitated to post numbers that showed WS winning or at least in the top few. The numbers currently don't show WS in the excellent light that they have enjoyed in the past and it is my opinion that is a big part of the reason why Bean has been absent... It has been mentioned more than once on this forum that he was noticeably absent whenever the numbers didn't put WS at or near the top.

I have no doubt that WS will recover from the current blip; after all, they are an excellent airline and employer; and Bean will be back when his favourite airline gets back in the top 3 of whatever numbers he finds that puts them there.

Some might see the absence of Bean as a loss to the forum. I think he’s a financially arrogant geek for certain, but interesting nonetheless ... at least from my pov.

If anyone was to look back at the responses to his comments that were posted just prior to his departure, a disturbing trend can be seen. Bean was never vitriolic with anyone , just a stick with his ‘facts’ sort of guy.

In practice, whenever someone cheers for an entity other than AC, the following response can be expected to follow a predictable pattern, which will sooner, or later will result in a forum that only is visited by self congratulating AC types. Unfortunately there’s a lot of that behind the scenes sentiment out there already.

Maybe he got tired of reading half baked, sometimes racist ramblings about terrorism, ISIS, Liberals, etc... on an aviation forum.

And, given the events of 2003 and 2004, some might say that thebean isn't deserving of any respect at all.

http://www.canada.com/mobile/iphone/story.html?id=6ca8461a-fb61-4bcc-be49-002f092c337f

Duncan was in it up to his elbows and is now a VP at Air Canada, so memories are short in the C-suite.

I, for one, liked Bean's posts. I didn't agree with them all the time, but then there are many posts that I don't agree with. I would have thought that this forum was to stimulate discussion - not only to allow those who think like us to post. That would be both boring, and very limited in scope. We all have our biases, and for sure Bean had his, but you knew that, and took it into account when you read his posts. I always found that his posts were backed up, in most part, by statistics or facts - something that not all posts are. At times some of the posts opposing Bean's were aimed at the messenger, not the message, which again is not what this forum is, or should be about. Regardless of Bean's past - and we all have one - he's smart, informed and has his perspective, so he was interesting to read. Sort of like Don Cherry - you may not agree with everything he says - but he provokes discussion - and that's a good thing. If Bean has left us for good - that would be a bad thing - so I hope he hasn't.

I have always enjoyed Bean's posts, hope he comes back.

The reality is, the bloom is off the rose at WJ. In a recent chat with a friend of mine, there are many Pilots shopping the market for a change of careers. Attending the recent Emirates roadshows, considering Asian contracts.

Saretsky has permanently changed the culture, time will tell.

Maybe he got tired of reading half baked, sometimes racist ramblings about terrorism, ISIS, Liberals, etc... on an aviation forum.

Duncan was in it up to his elbows and is now a VP at Air Canada, so memories are short in the C-suite.

SERTE: did you vote re splitting the forum? Seems that most folks were happy with the current setup

I'm not certain about Bean but there are a few members that do not post here as often due to the change in discussions and topics away from aviation this year, particularly since the summer. These folks are on other aviation boards as well and these observations have been made.

I voted in the poll as, although I'm not a frequent contributer, I tend to prefer aviation topics and this year there have been few of those. I still visit to read the Daily News feed but haven't been in the Aviation Forum as much due to the lack of aviation topics.

Wow, some of you really like to " dance on a grave...".

The question was "where is el BEANo" ???

I certainly did not mean to start a thread where so many would take the time to "rip" the guy for voicing his own opinion, bias or not,and for pumping out the "numbers" no matter whose they were.

I thought that most posters on this forum had more class that to start taking pot shots at a member who may have decided to move on. Personal animosity toward any member for posting comments that lean toward one airline or the other is really uncalled for.

Hopefully 2016 comes in with more friendly banter and a higher degree of respect for each others opinions and personal knowledge of this industry..

I am not Bean but have a lot of respect for his standing as a subject expert and his low patience for BS, after private correspondence. He bludgeoned people with fact and data, rare in online discourse these days.

Everything Bean said about the island airport came to pass. The contempt for expertise is commonplace in 2015 and can be found everywhere.

http://www.houstonpress.com/arts/no-it-s-not-your-opinion-you-re-just-wrong-updated-7611752

Archived