Merry Christmas from WS!

Jack Sparrow

These things must cost a ton to put together.

Great work WJ!

You have to wonder, what if the cost was instead passed on as a donation to the Salvation Army or perhaps as food hampers for the needy?

Brands see dollar signs in emotional, online content

Longer online advertisements can leave even the most cold-hearted wiping away tears

Wed Dec 16, 2015 - CBC News
By Laura Wright

The heightened emotions that infuse the holiday season have helped make it prime time for marketers, and this year they seem to be finding that longer online advertisements in particular can leave even the most cold-hearted wiping away tears.

Recent ads from airlines, tech companies, and even supermarkets have been incredibly successful.

The online realm, it seems, is more flexible, allowing marketers more time to create entire worlds that pull at the heartstrings.

Over the past couple of years, WestJet has pulled off elaborate holiday stunts — which it documented and posted online — like delivering personalized gifts to Calgary-bound travellers, and throwing a huge Christmas party for an entire Dominican Republic town.

"When we put out the first video, everyone said it's five and a half minutes — it's too long, no one will ever watch it," said Mike Mills, who works for Studio M, which produces WestJet's holiday ads.

But the naysayers were proven wrong — WestJet's holiday videos garnered thousands of views and social media shares.

"If you give people quality content they will sit down and watch any length," Mills says.

And, as he sees it, longer stories allow for a deeper connection. "A 30-second or one-minute story is more like a piece of popcorn: it's consumable, yeah it's delicious, but you kind of forget it."

Cause marketing

Ela Veresiu, an assistant marketing professor at York University's Schulich School of Business, calls this approach "cause marketing."

It is one in which companies partner with non-profit groups or charitable organizations to try to show that they aren't just soulless corporations fixated on profits — they want to show that they care.

Mills says it's important for brands to be associated with positive feelings, especially this time of year, since people make choices on an emotional level, even if they aren't aware of it.

"It really is trying to tell a story that people will connect with so that when people see that brand, and later are making a purchasing choice, it leaves them with a positive feeling about that brand."

"Companies have realized that word of mouth is 10 times more effective than traditional advertising. So more and more resources are flowing towards turning customers into advocates,"

mean the Coca Cola company? They're the ones who put Santa in a red suit. :icon_butt:

Evidently not:The 19th century Santa was often shown wearing outfits of different colors: purple, green and blue in addition to red. This slowly faded out so that by the beginning of the 20th century the standard image of Santa Claus was a man in a red suit trimmed with white. The Coca-Cola company has often been cited for cementing the image of Santa with the colors red and white through a series of popular advertisements in the 1940's depicting Saint Nick enjoying their product (Coca-Cola's company colors are red and white). However, Santa was already well associated with these colors by that time. American artist Norman Rockwell had done a number of paintings with Saint Nick wearing red and white including A Drum for Tommy which appeared on the cover of The Country Gentleman in 1921. The truth is that by the time the Coke ads came out, Santa, in the public's mind, was already wearing only the modern version of his colors. santa_drum.jpghttp://www.unmuseum.org/santa.htm

And as everyone continues to get sucked in by corporate greed and the dilution of the holiday from what it is supposed to be to what it has become. All of this takes away from the reason for the season.

I am not a religious guys by any means but Christmas is not supposed to be about consumerism. Even I know what it is supposed to be. What happened to good will towards man, Giving, loving, all of the good stuff.

It seems now all it is is crowded malls, crowded parking lots, ignorant people pushing and shoving to get the last (insert fad here). The commercialization of Christmas has become insane and personally I think, no matter how that commercial tugs at your heart, that the spirit of the season is lost.

This may seem like a Bah Humbug post but I personally enjoy spending the time with family and friends and being happy. The gifts are always secondary.

Merry Christmas.

I am not a religious guys by any means but Christmas is not supposed to be about consumerism. Even I know what it is supposed to be. What happened to good will towards man, Giving, loving, all of the good stuff.

What do you mean, "what it's supposed to be?" Christmas is cultural and only has meaning by what a society bestows it. Here's an example; think of the common association our culture has: boys-blue, girls-pink, fairly recently it was the opposite http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/10/pink-used-common-color-boys-blue-girls/.

Our culture changed - we decided that we wanted the opposite and so that's what we have now. Christmas used to be Peace on Earth, Good Will to Man, etc. Now it's about buying a bunch of junk and hanging around the malls. There's no "Christmas is Supposed to be" about it.

I respectively disagree. Christmas by its very meaning is the celebration of the birth of Christ (even if it is on the wrong date) It is/was a christian celebration. Now it is a non denominational corporate greedfest.

Maybe it is an evolution but that evolution was designed and driven by corporate interests. Christmas creates Cash.

boestar; Pagan and other religious celebrations were celebrated around the time of the winter solstice long before Christ's lifetime. In fact, it was the Christians that subverted the original meaning of the end-of-the-year party with their beliefs.

.... It seems now all it is is crowded malls, crowded parking lots, ignorant people pushing and shoving to get the last (insert fad here) ....

I know 'tis the season when I'm reminded that goodwill won't be reciprocated by some folks if I say "happy holidays" ... ;)

Cheers, IFG :b:

If I was to add June the 23rd in the year 12 BC to the list of guesses, would some see it as more 'proof' that a divinely inspired virginal birth actually occurred?

I'm a little suspicious today seeing the Pope has decided to elevate the non believing and arguably insane Mother Theresa to the status of Saint as a result of a miracle she, or her picture performed AFTER her death. The miracle was reported to have occurred in the jungle of southern Asia and is based on a report that beams of light emanated from her picture and were directed against internal tumours, which cured them. Sheesh.

I can appreciate the natives reliance on voodoo like stuff, but is the Church that desperate for membership, they'll take whatever they can get with a straight face?

The church is nothing more that a money generating corporation. The higher the membership the higher the revenues. Those cathedrals don't come cheap.

Why do you think the different religions recruit so much? Because more members = more money. They are profiting from misplaces faith.

don't get me wrong here. I have no problem with what one person or the next believes but you should not have to PAY to worship whichever god you believe in.

Archived