Sign in to follow this  
Malcolm

Climate Change?

Two great websites citing underwater vulcanism. The most significant statement common to both articles? "We don't really know..."

The lack of knowledge includes how many, how frequent, how large (volume of magma), how hot, how long the eruption...

Yet carbon taxes will stop all this release of GHG's largely produced by the Earth's oceans:

https://today.oregonstate.edu/news/researchers-discover-deepest-known-underwater-volcanic-eruption

https://ocean.si.edu/holding-tank/vents-volcanoes/mystery-underwater-volcano

Edited by Moon The Loon

The entire thing is fluff.

Until people are willing to turn their thermostats down to 10C in the winter, air conditioning up to 25 in the summer and pay $200 per ton in carbon tax they are simply not committed to the cause and I have no sympathy for their noise. The notion of changing light bulbs and saving the planet is the exclusive domain of the delusional.

When Liberals are willing to walk the walk, you can count me in. 

Edited by Wolfhunter

The PGA golf match today in North Carolina has been delayed twice due to thunderstorms.

It must be Climate Change!

7 hours ago, Wolfhunter said:

The entire thing is fluff.

Until people are willing to turn their thermostats down to 10C in the winter, air conditioning up to 25 in the summer and pay $200 per ton in carbon tax they are simply not committed to the cause and I have no sympathy for their noise. The notion of changing light bulbs and saving the planet is the exclusive domain of the delusional.

When Liberals are willing to walk the walk, you can count me in. 

Reads much better now.  😀👍

33 minutes ago, Marshall said:

Reads much better now.

Ya... I really need to stop watching the news, reading the paper and listening to the radio. I've cut back a lot in the last year or so because it just makes me crazy. Cable is going at the end of the month too.

This is the only forum I can even stand to monitor anymore as I consider it something of a dysfunctional family. Not quite at "a cave in the mountains" stage yet but I'm getting closer by the day. The computer will be the next thing to go and I suspect that will be sooner than later.

Edited by Wolfhunter

1 hour ago, Wolfhunter said:

I consider it something of a dysfunctional family. Not quite at "a cave in the mountains" stage yet but I'm getting closer by the day.

Helluva week to lose Chewbacca...😩😩

Report swings and misses at carbon price 'myths'

Finally, myth 10, that “there is no need to reduce Canada’s emissions” is both true and false. It’s true there’s a need to reduce Canada’s emissions, but that need is essentially a political choice rather than an action that will reduce impacts on Canada from future climate change. The authors repeat boilerplate language about extreme weather without mentioning that the carbon tax will have no effect on extreme weather because minor changes in Canada’s emissions won’t change the global concentration of CO2. Canada’s contribution of greenhouse gases, as Ecofiscal itself acknowledges, is only 1.6 per cent of global emissions. Even if Canada cut that in half (a herculean task), any future reduction in warming would be virtually unmeasurable. And of course with massive growth in emissions in China and throughout Asia, Canada’s share will grow smaller over time. Tinkering with it would have even less effect on climate change in the year 2100.

Many economists do, indeed, champion the idea of using pricing to control greenhouse gas emissions, but governments are unwilling to adhere to the economic principles that makes such pricing efficient or economically benign. But the repeated failure of provinces to institute (or maintain) genuine revenue-neutrality and displace regulations, and the desire of governments to pick winning technologies, suggests that an economically rigorous carbon tax seems more mythical than probable.

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/blogs/report-swings-and-misses-at-carbon-price-myths

Edited by Jaydee

Greenland's biggest glacier suddenly slows down and thickens, baffling scientists

Jakobshavn Isbrae glacier gaining thickness of 20 metres a year

Greenland’s largest glacier has not only slowed its retreat, but has also thickened in recent years, surprising scientists studying the impacts of global warming on ice in the northern hemisphere. 

The island is home to the second-largest ice sheet in the world after Antarctica and rapid warming in the northern hemisphere has major implications for continuing global sea-level rise.

The Jakobshavn Isbrae glacier on Greenland’s west coast used to lose more ice from this than anywhere else in the country. 

It is known for the huge blocks of ice it calves into Disko Bay, which then drift south into the Atlantic OceanIt is believed to have calved the iceberg which sank the Titanic.

Between 2000 and 2010, Jakobshavn Isbrae contributed the largest solid ice discharge in all of Greenland’s ice sheet and is estimated to have contributed to nearly 1mm of global sea rise.

[SEE MORE AT

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/greenland-ice-sheet-jakobshavn-isbrae-glacier-slows-thickens-climate-change-esa-a8913791.html?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2-Y9dQbj2dKKdcXh4WmVDF6mZWaVHVRmEMDB9DXeELkFOfTUJXcKZjMhs#Echobox=1557859658 ]

Edited by Moon The Loon

I wonder if Climate Barbie ever does  any research herself or just babbles what she’s fed by Trudeau?

Edited by Jaydee

2 hours ago, Jaydee said:

I wonder if Climate Barbie ever does  any research herself or just babbles what she’s fed by Trudeau?

I thought that she just followed directions from her personal photographer.

• Haha 1

FINALLY! Proof Positive We're Doomed:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/23/opinions/one-year-to-tackle-climate-change-opinion-mountford/index.html

We have less time than you think to jump-start climate action

By Helen Mountford

If political leaders finally respond to the climate crisis, we may well have these youthful advocates to thank. But there is a problem with this timeline: We don't have 12 years to jump-start action on climate change -- we have just one.

According to an article in the journal Nature, global greenhouse gas emissions must peak no later than next year and rapidly decline thereafter for us to have a good chance of preventing increasingly severe consequences from the climate crisis -- everything from imperiled croplands, flooded communities and widespread disease. Delaying any longer will push us toward an ecological tipping point, with no way for humanity to claw its way back out.

Edited by Moon The Loon