Sign in to follow this  
Malcolm

Climate Change?

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 7:32 PM, Moon The Loon said:

This has got to be the stupidest of Stupid. " A technology that removes carbon dioxide from the air has received significant backing from major fossil fuel companies. "

What the heck are plants, trees, forests supposed to use for photosynthesis?

What the heck is photosynthesis? It's the world wide botanical process that provides the atmosphere of its 21% of OXYGEN - THE STUFF THAT KEEPS US ALIVE.

Followed by the next stupidest statement:

"CO2 is a powerful warming gas but there's not a lot of it in the atmosphere - for every million molecules of air, there are 410 of CO2 (0.00041%, using their number [invalidating their logic] - actually, the percentage is closer to 0.039%).  While the CO2 is helping to drive temperatures up around the world, the comparatively low concentrations make it difficult to design efficient machines to remove the gas."

I ask again, what will plants use to keep surface animal life alive given this insane idea's acceptance?

and you left out the most important purpose of C02.   The trigger to breath.  http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2005/06/15/1392360.htm  😀

H2O is the single largest green house gas in the atmosphere but there is ZERO they can do about that so they o to the next most common one and make it an issue.

You want to remove more CO2 from the atmosphere?  PLANT MORE TREES DUMBASS.

• Thanks 2

Taking immediate action here is easy. Make all highways in Canada a max of 90 KPH and rigidly enforce that with photo radar. 

Decreased fuel consumption and a lower death toll on our highways would be the immediate result. Ya.... I know, liberal cars are magic and achieve maximum efficiency at 110 KPH.... right?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wolfhunter said:

Taking immediate action here is easy. Make all highways in Canada a max of 90 KPH and rigidly enforce that with photo radar. 

Decreased fuel consumption and a lower death toll on our highways would be the immediate result. Ya.... I know, liberal cars are magic and achieve maximum efficiency at 110 KPH.... right?

While even I think 90kph is too slow, keep it at 100 and I agree with using photo radar for enforcement.  You wanna go fast, pay the speed tax.

16 hours ago, Jaydee said:

Photo radar...another great reason  for the WAZE app.

http://appslam.net/waze.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz5bLh5PB4QIVCbbACh2_iA10EAAYAiAAEgJOI_D_BwE

Yep..Another thing to distract the drive.  great idea.  put the apps away.

Well I am definitely not alone. Last trip through that mess called Toronto there were 7,681 other users within a 25 km radius of me.

which is exactly why driving in toronto is a dangerous experience.  Because everyone is on their damned phone

• Thanks 1

Most long haul “iron Butt” riders will likely agree with me that Ontario is the worst province to drive through. In my experience, it is home to the most self entitled, distracted and aggressive drivers in the country.

In addition, it has truly abysmal enforcement. On the last full 4 transits of the province, between the border of Quebec and the border of Manitoba, I didn’t see a single traffic stop even though the average speed in the 90 zone was of the order of 120KPH (the definition of stunting BTW). During those trips I was forced to a full stop on the shoulder twice to avoid head on collisions and I can’t even count the incidents of stupid (and I mean stupid) tailgating. A mandatory physics credit in grade 9 might help people understand that the physical laws of the universe also apply in Ontario.

Edited by Wolfhunter

From Trudeau’s own lips..

“ ‘”Even if Canada stopped everything tomorrow, and the other countries didn’t have any solutions, it wouldn’t make a big difference,” he said in French.”

Yet he proceeds with his Carbon tax hoax....Well isn’t that interesting.

https://www.spencerfernando.com/2018/10/23/oops-trudeau-accidentally-admits-that-canada-cant-do-anything-about-global-emissions/

18 hours ago, Wolfhunter said:

Most long haul “iron Butt” riders will likely agree with me that Ontario is the worst province to drive through. In my experience, it is home to the most self entitled, distracted and aggressive drivers in the country.

In addition, it has truly abysmal enforcement. On the last full 4 transits of the province, between the border of Quebec and the border of Manitoba, I didn’t see a single traffic stop even though the average speed in the 90 zone was of the order of 120KPH (the definition of stunting BTW). During those trips I was forced to a full stop on the shoulder twice to avoid head on collisions and I can’t even count the incidents of stupid (and I mean stupid) tailgating. A mandatory physics credit in grade 9 might help people understand that the physical laws of the universe also apply in Ontario.

in 2017 Myself and a buddy went on a trip by motorcycles.  We travelled just shy of 11,000 Km over a couple of weeks.  We transited 15 states and Ontario.  On that tripe we had ZERO incidents with other drivers....UNTIL....we arrived back in Ontario.  Within 10 minutes of crossing the border at Sarnia we were met with aggressive drivers and were cut off by same.  Tailgated on the 401 and for that last 2 hour stretch home felt more uncomfortable than in the previous 2 weeks.  Ontario is a horrible place to operate.

But hey....We dont need all these cops and traffic stops.  The Traffic will fix itself..

Hold the panic: Canada just warmed 1.7 degrees and … thrived

Saying Canada warmed twice as fast as the whole planet doesn’t prove anything

“ The warming we have had over the last 100 years is so small that if we didn’t have meteorologists and climatologists to measure it we wouldn’t have noticed it at all”

A recent report, commissioned by Environment and Climate Change Canada (also known as the federal Department of the Environment), sparked a feverish bout of media coverage. Much of it keyed off the headline statement that Canada warmed “twice as fast” as the entire planet since 1948. If that is self-evidently a bad thing, what to make of the finding that the Canada’s Atlantic region warmed twice as fast as the Prairies? Or that Canadian winters warmed twice as fast as summers?

I’ll bet you didn’t know that the Maritimes warmed twice as fast as the Prairies. But now that I’ve told you, you might tell yourself it makes sense based on what you’ve seen or heard — that’s called confirmation bias. In fact, I was lying. It’s the other way around. The Prairies warmed almost three times faster than the Maritimes.

The warming we have had over the last 100 years is so small that if we didn’t have meteorologists and climatologists to measure it we wouldn’t have noticed it at all

Climatologist Lennart Bengtsson

Would you have known either way? One of the psychological effects of a report like this, and the attendant media hype, is that it puts ideas in peoples’ heads. Tell everyone over and over that the climate is changing, and soon they will see proof of change everywhere. Rain, snow, wind, floods or dry spells; it will all seem to eerily confirm the theory, even though we have always had these things.

Most of what people are noticing, of course, are just natural weather events. Underneath, there are slow trends, both natural and (likely) human-caused. But they are small and hard to separate out without careful statistical analysis. A few years ago, climatologist Lennart Bengtsson remarked “The warming we have had over the last 100 years is so small that if we didn’t have meteorologists and climatologists to measure it we wouldn’t have noticed it at all.”

https://business.financialpost.com/opinion/ross-mckitrick-hold-the-panic-canada-just-warmed-1-7-degrees-and-thrived

I have noticed that our summers seem to be hotter in the peak weeks however I have also noticed that our winters seem to be colder during the peak.

So the question is are the summers getting warmer or the winters?

On 4/9/2019 at 12:11 PM, Wolfhunter said:

While I applaud most of your post, "stunting" starts at 50KPH above the posted limit. I couldn't agree more strongly about the enforcement - or lack thereof. But that goes to how many cops are out there. Most forces are so understaffed, one wonders why we even have laws that are ignored.

5 hours ago, boestar said:

I have noticed that our summers seem to be hotter in the peak weeks however I have also noticed that our winters seem to be colder during the peak.

So the question is are the summers getting warmer or the winters?

Individual humans cannot experience "climate change" as climate is measured in centuries or millennia, not by individual weather events.

Hence the scam.

1 hour ago, Moon The Loon said:

Individual humans cannot experience "climate change" as climate is measured in centuries or millennia, not by individual weather events.

Hence the scam.

According to a quick search,  the common time frame used is only 30 years so I suppose humans could theoretically experience Climate Change if indeed it was happening.

12 hours ago, Moon The Loon said:

"stunting" starts at 50KPH above the posted limit

Right you are, clearly my math skills are a lacking. Luckily, I have the speling thing down to a sceince eh? 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Moon The Loon said:

While I applaud most of your post, "stunting" starts at 50KPH above the posted limit. I couldn't agree more strongly about the enforcement - or lack thereof. But that goes to how many cops are out there. Most forces are so understaffed, one wonders why we even have laws that are ignored.

Actually the OPP here in Ontario are doing a pretty good job at social media attention for stunting and speeding drivers.  going so far as to post their names.

It actually surprises me how many they catch in excess of 150 or 160 Km/h.  the latest one was a motorcycle with no plates and a disqualified (for dangerous driving) driver going over 200Km/h on the QEW.  The caught him by airplane.  Now unable to drive for 3 years and 90 days in jail.

Follow the OPP on Twitter and see that they are catching people just not enough of them

Welcome to Ontario Roads

194km/hr - #QEW/Walkers line 50 year old driver from Ancaster charged with: #ImpairedDriving - 80 plus, prohibited driving, dangerous driving, stunt driving, and an HOV violation.D3wzfN-WAAIonTT.jpg

Edited by boestar
  • Like 1

Federal 'climate' report uses natural weather events to spark scary headlines

Appeared in the National Post, April 10, 2019
Federal 'climate' report uses natural weather events to spark scary headlines

A recent report, commissioned by Environment and Climate Change Canada (also known as the federal Department of the Environment), sparked a feverish bout of media coverage. Much of it keyed off the headline statement that Canada warmed “twice as fast” as the entire planet since 1948. If that is self-evidently a bad thing, what to make of the finding that the Canada’s Atlantic region warmed twice as fast as the Prairies? Or that Canadian winters warmed twice as fast as summers?

I’ll bet you didn’t know that the Maritimes warmed twice as fast as the Prairies. But now that I’ve told you, you might tell yourself it makes sense based on what you’ve seen or heard—that’s called confirmation bias. In fact, I was lying. It’s the other way around. The Prairies warmed almost three times faster than the Maritimes.

Would you have known either way? One of the psychological effects of a report like this, and the attendant media hype, is that it puts ideas in peoples’ heads. Tell everyone over and over that the climate is changing, and soon they will see proof of change everywhere. Rain, snow, wind, floods or dry spells; it will all seem to eerily confirm the theory, even though we have always had these things.

Most of what people are noticing, of course, are just natural weather events. Underneath, there are slow trends, both natural and (likely) human-caused. But they are small and hard to separate out without careful statistical analysis. A few years ago, climatologist Lennart Bengtsson remarked “The warming we have had over the last 100 years is so small that if we didn’t have meteorologists and climatologists to measure it we wouldn’t have noticed it at all.”

And so we get reports with charts and graphs to tell us about the changes we didn’t notice. Remember last summer when the media hyped a report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change warning that warming 1.5 degrees Celsius (compared to preindustrial times) was a disaster threshold we must avoid crossing at all costs? Now we learn that Canada warmed 1.7 degrees Celsius since 1948. Far from leaving the country a smoking ruin, we got wealthier and healthier, our population soared, and life improved by almost any measure of welfare you can imagine. If only every catastrophe was like this.

We deal with lots of changes over time. Go back to Bengtsson’s thought experiment. Today’s 80 year olds entered their teens in 1950. Ask them what changes they experienced over their lives, and they will have plenty to say. Then ask if fall warmed more than spring where they live. Without peeking at the answer, most will have no idea. Yet, according to the federal government’s latest report, depending on the province, one likely warmed twice as fast as the other. Which one? If you can’t tell without looking it up, that’s the point.

Alarming news headlines are always part of the ritual (though you’d think journalists would be getting a bit jaded by now, after all the hyperventilating Only-Ten-Years-Left blockbuster claims over the past 30 years). Saying Canada warmed twice as fast as the whole planet doesn’t prove anything. Pretty much any large country warmed faster than the global average, because countries are on land. Oceans cover 70 per cent of the Earth, and the way the system works, during a warming trend the land warms faster than the oceans. So the scary headline only confirms that we are on land.

The best antidote, if you find yourself alarmed by the press coverage, is to turn to chapter four of the report and start reading. The section on the observed changes in 1948 is factual, data-focused and decidedly non-alarmist. But there are some points I would quibble about—2016 was a strong El Niño year, so the end point of the data is artificially high. Some of their bright red heat maps would probably look different if they stopped in, say, 2014. And most of their comparisons start in 1948 to maximize data availability, but this boosts the warming rate compared to starting in the 1930s, which were hot. When they talk about attributing changes to greenhouse gases versus natural variability, they don’t explain the deep uncertainties in such calculations. And they make projections about the century ahead without discussing how well—or how poorly—their models can long-term forecast.

If you want to learn about changes to the Canadian climate, read the report. But if you need to look at the report to know what changes you lived through, that tells you how much they mattered to you at the time.

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/article/federal-climate-report-uses-natural-weather-events-to-spark-scary-headlines

I live in Edmonton.

Every winter when I hear somebody bemoaning climate change and especially Global Warming I say "Bring it on".

• Like 1

Will B.C. be the next Province to banish the NDP ?

“ Dan McTeague, senior petroleum analyst for gasbuddy.com and former member of parliament, agrees with Allan's sentiments and is concerned that additional pressure on the oil and gas industry could further inflame prices, which are reaching historic highs.

"Vancouver will be at $1.71 per litre (Wednesday). All-time high, historic high, not just for Vancouver, or for B.C., not just for Canada," he said. "It’s the highest price ever paid by any major city in North America, period."

6CC1E6B3-0635-4708-99E6-F5981E5E0B61.jpeg

Edited by Jaydee