Climate Change?

1 hour ago, mo32a said:

And the storm sewers will continue to dump millions of gallons of totally untreated water containing all those ingredients into the ocean in Victoria Vancouver Seattle etc.

The sewage treatment plant is just for politicians to look good and pat themselves on the back.

Fact is , the presently treated storm sewer water is a lot less dangerous than the untreated sewage.  So on a given scale, there will be an improvement to the ocean water once the treatment plant kicks in. Who knows, BC's favorite Doctor may ride to the rescue and campaign for a change there.  He was in support of the sewage treatment plant. http://www.davidsuzuki.org/media/news/2016/09/david-suzuki-foundation-supports-victoria-sewage-treatment/ but of course it was the Provincial Gov. in 2006 that ruled that the CRD begin planning for a sewage treatment plant so he was a "Johnny come lately" in that regard. 

Regarding Stormwater in Victoria, it seems that it does get some treatment before flowing into the ocean:

http://www.victoria.ca/EN/main/residents/water-sewer-stormwater/stormwater/our-stormwater-system.html

I have watched a water company 'treat' the water coming out of a fire hydrant before it gets into the storm sewer even.

The answer was yes to my question "Is that not the same water that comes out of my tap at home" and he said 'from here it goes straight to the sewage treatment plant.

Victoria isn't the lone municipal polluter. Even though I've pointed out this observation before, I think it's probably worth repeating.

When departing YYZ south bound following a large T-storm if you look you may notice a super black ink like stain growing in the Toronto Harbour east of YTZ; the blob apparently indicates the location of the City's storm sewer outlet. This insult to the environment continues to flow for a considerable period depending on the amount of storm water produced & the duration of the precipitation event. Over the next 24 hours the effluent can be seen to travel around the point to the east hugging the shoreline until it finally dissipates somewhere around the Pickering nuke station.

I always remember the media reporting the beach residents and visitors outrage the next day. Although pretty and clean looking, Lake Ontario is so toxic you literally cannot eat the fish, but they want the City's denizens to believe it's safe to consume the water!

Edited by DEFCON

2 hours ago, DEFCON said:

Victoria isn't the lone municipal polluter. Even though I've pointed out this observation before, I think it's probably worth repeating.

When departing YYZ south bound following a large T-storm if you look you may notice a super black ink like stain growing in the Toronto Harbour east of YTZ; the blob indicates the location of the City's storm sewer outlet. This insult to the environment continues to flow for a considerable period depending on the amount of storm water produced & the duration of the precipitation event. Over the next 24 hours the effluent can be seen to travel around the point to the east hugging the shoreline until it finally dissipates somewhere around the Pickering nuke station.

I always remember the media reporting the beach residents and visitors outrage the next day. Although pretty and clean looking, Lake Ontario is so toxic you literally cannot eat the fish, but they want the City's denizens to believe it's safe to consume the stuff

fwiw. believe some of the older residential areas, particularly in the eastern areas (East York, Beach, etc), have shared storm/sanitary sewer system that overwhelms treatment plants during heavy precipitation and forces upstream diversion to storm water system.

More lies. They only put this stuff out there because they know that people are too lazy to check it.

From Environment Canada...."

• Canada's emissions in 2013 made up 1.6% of global GHG emissions."

That's about 200,000 times more than your "various sources" suggests.

And breathing is breathing. Everybody does it at the same rate, so it's irrelevant to the discussion. They just say stuff like that to distract and hide the lie deeper.

If lowland flooding, loss of coral reefs and shifting climate doesn't bother you, maybe this will..
Is Global Warming Going To Create An Urban Rat Population Explosion?

With warming winters, however, the rate of breeding and population expansion surges. “They have an edge of squeezing out one more litter, one more half litter,” Corrigan explained.

USA Today reported last year, major cities saw spikes in rodent-related business from 2013 to 2015. Calls to Orkin, the pest control service, were reportedly ‘up 61 percent in Chicago; 67 percent in Boston; 174 percent in San Francisco; 129 percent in New York City; and 57 percent in Washington, D.C.'”

Urban rats caused $19 billion worth of economic damage in the year 2000, partially due to the fact that they eat away at buildings and other infrastructure. Imagine how much they’re costing now.”

Not to mention that whole disease thing...

5 minutes ago, gator said:

If lowland flooding, loss of coral reefs and shifting climate doesn't bother you, maybe this will..
Is Global Warming Going To Create An Urban Rat Population Explosion?

With warming winters, however, the rate of breeding and population expansion surges. “They have an edge of squeezing out one more litter, one more half litter,” Corrigan explained.

USA Today reported last year, major cities saw spikes in rodent-related business from 2013 to 2015. Calls to Orkin, the pest control service, were reportedly ‘up 61 percent in Chicago; 67 percent in Boston; 174 percent in San Francisco; 129 percent in New York City; and 57 percent in Washington, D.C.'”

Urban rats caused $19 billion worth of economic damage in the year 2000, partially due to the fact that they eat away at buildings and other infrastructure. Imagine how much they’re costing now.”

Not to mention that whole disease thing...

but consider the additional source of protein. :D

Recipe for ground rat meat and chili paste:

Ingredients:

• 1/4 cup fish oil
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1-1/2 cups of dried red chili peppers
  • 4 long green peppers
  • 8 large bay leaves
  • 1/2 cup holy basil leaf
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 4 chopped garlic cloves
  • 4 small rats

Initial Preparation:

• With a mortar and pestle place the 1-1/2 cups of dried red chili peppers, and begin to mash until a red paste is achieved. Add a tablespoon of water to make moist.
  • Chop garlic cloves.
  • Place bay leaves in a small bowl of water. Roll two bay leaves at a time and then thinly shred and place in dry dish. Do for all 8 leaves - two at a time.
  • Place holy basil leaves in a small bowl of water.
  • Dice long green peppers. Do small cross sections so look like wheels and place in dry dish.
  • Skin 4 small rats. Clean and place heart and liver in separate bowl.

Cooking preparations:

• Place oil in a wok over an open flame and heat
  • Place small rats in a grate, and lightly cook over an open flame on both sides until medium cooked. Do not cook well done.
  • Mix red chili paste with hot oil and stir well.
  • Finely chop rats on a wood chopping block over and over until makes a smooth ground meat texture. Be sure to chop all the bones well.
  • Add chopped rat meat to the red chili paste and oil and stir well.
  • Add diced green peppers and stir well. Let cook for 5 minutes.
  • Add 1/2 tablespoon of salt.
  • Add whole liver and heart and sir in.
  • Add holy basil leaves to mixture and stir in well and let cook for another 5 minutes. Be sure not to burn the chili paste - add a little water if necessary to keep moist but not runny.
  • Add chopped garlic cloves
  • Add shredded bay leaves and stir in and cover and let simmer for 5 minutes or more to let all the flavors mix well.

• 2 weeks later...

For those with an open mind....an Interesting read....

"  There have been plenty of times that I wondered if it’s my perspective that is wrong, I’ve done some soul searching on the topics I’m passionate about. College has challenged my views, while it seems to only confirm the ideas that the “warmists” hold. Some of my previously held beliefs have changed, like much of what I understood (or thought I understood) about climate, but I’ve still yet to be presented solid evidence for primary anthropogenic climate change that isn’t either refuted by another study, or backed with accusations like the ones crunchy granola guy lobbed my way. I’ve stopped being shocked by the way my professors obediently tow the party line—as I learned a few years ago that at least here, federal funding is dependent on a certain amount of global warming acceptance. I’m thankful for the engineering courses I’m taking, because if my geology and earth sciences were not balanced out by the dry technical calculations of engineering, I’d probably lose my mind. (Just imagine how bad it would be if I were in sociology or women’s studies!) I am disappointed by the quality of the “science” taught at University though—when theory is presented as fact, and computer models are regarded as gospel despite their infamous unreliability, it’s not actual science. "

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/09/07/the-making-of-a-climate-skeptic-at-university/amp/

• Thanks 1

OCEAN CYCLES, NOT HUMANS, MAY BE BEHIND MOST OBSERVED CLIMATE CHANGE

• Date: 15/09/17
  •  
  • Global Warming Policy Foundation 

An eminent atmospheric scientist says that natural cycles may be largely responsible for climate changes seen in recent decades. 

In a new report published by the Global Warming Policy Foundation, Anastasios Tsonis, emeritus distinguished professor of atmospheric sciences at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, describes new and cutting-edge research into natural climatic cycles, including the well known El Nino cycle and the less familiar North Atlantic Oscillation and Pacific Decadal Oscillation.

He shows how interactions between these ocean cycles have been shown to drive changes in the global climate on timescales of several decades.

Professor Tsonis says:

“We can show that at the start of the 20th century, the North Atlantic Oscillation pushed the global climate into a warming phase, and in 1940 it pushed it back into cooling mode. The famous “pause” in global warming at the start of the 21st century seems to have been instigated by the North Atlantic Oscillation too.”

In fact, most of the changes in the global climate over the period of the instrumental record seem to have their origins in the North Atlantic.

Tsonis’ insights have profound implications for the way we view calls for climate alarm.

It may be that another shift in the North Atlantic could bring about another phase shift in the global climate, leading to renewed cooling or warming for several decades to come.

These climatic cycles are entirely natural, and can tell us nothing about the effect of carbon dioxide emissions. But they should inspire caution over the slowing trajectory of global warming we have seen in recent decades.

As Tsonis puts it:

“While humans may play a role in climate change, other natural forces may play important roles too.”

https://www.thegwpf.org/ocean-cycles-not-humans-may-be-behind-most-observed-climate-change/

In India there are families, including grandparents on down that circulate around the Indian farming districts. In return for allowing them to squat, the migrant families catch and consume the rats that feed on the farmers crops. When the rat supply is depleted, the migrants move on.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20151207-the-countries-where-rats-are-on-the-menu

Rodent meat – a sustainable way to feed the world?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5341521/

And Down Under

Bigger appetite for kangaroo meat needed to rein in booming roo numbers, ecologist says

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-10/cull-kangaroos-and-eat-their-meat-scientist-urges/8887432

13 hours ago, Jaydee said:

OCEAN CYCLES, NOT HUMANS, MAY BE BEHIND MOST OBSERVED CLIMATE CHANGE

https://www.thegwpf.org/ocean-cycles-not-humans-may-be-behind-most-observed-climate-change/

Been saying this for decades and from the very beginning of this thread. The oceans cover nearly 80% of the surface of our pale blue dot. Their average depth is 10,000 feet. All atmospheric weather is a result of the atmosphere's physical contact with the oceans. The unbelievable vanity of the human creature to believe they have had an even infinitesimal effect on where our atmosphere/biosphere is evolving is overwhelming. The disgusting play by the Gor-Zuki lobby to influence world wide governments to steal the hard earned monies of their populace will be seen by historians as the Scam Of The Century.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, dagger said:

I don't know what this means, but the Wall Street Journal is reporting that the US now won't pull out of the Paris Climate Accord.

According to the BBC:

Paris climate deal: US denies it will stay in accord

The US has insisted it will leave the Paris climate accord, despite reports that it may be softening its stance.

Following a meeting of environment ministers on Saturday, the EU climate commissioner, Miguel Arias Canete, said Trump officials had indicated the US would either stay in the 2015 accord or review its terms.

But the White House insisted there had been "no change" in the US position.

In June President Donald Trump said the US would withdraw from the deal.

He said it was part of his "solemn duty to protect America" and he would seek a new deal that would not disadvantage US businesses.

But opponents say withdrawing from the accord is an abdication of US leadership on a key global challenge.

If you live in Ontario and want to help, try following the speed limit. During the OPEC debacle you wanted to slow down, save gas, save emissions, save the planet, etc. So man up and get busy.  After my recent motorcycle trip, I rate your effort as damn poor. In the mean time, here’s an update on the carbon tax. 

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/09/16/carbon-tax-gouged-ontarians-out-of-15b-so-far-in-2017

As to climate change deniers, when considering global climatology, climate change is the norm and always has been. It will continue with or without us. Put in perspective, one volcanic eruption is worth about 15 years of carbon tax efforts as they do nothing to reduce consumption. If you want to curb consumption ya have to get tough; the type of tough that hurts big time and wrecks your economy. Otherwise, it's about as effective as your speed limit.

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Wolfhunter said:

If you live in Ontario and want to help, try following the speed limit. During the OPEC debacle you wanted to slow down, save gas, save emissions, save the planet, etc. So man up and get busy.  After my recent motorcycle trip, I rate your effort as damn poor. In the mean time, here’s an update on the carbon tax. 

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/09/16/carbon-tax-gouged-ontarians-out-of-15b-so-far-in-2017

As to climate change deniers, when considering global climatology, climate change is the norm and always has been. It will continue with or without us. Put in perspective, one volcanic eruption is worth about 15 years of carbon tax efforts as they do nothing to reduce consumption. If you want to curb consumption ya have to get tough; the type of tough that hurts big time and wrecks your economy. Otherwise, it's about as effective as your speed limit.

Spot on, Wolf. The ONLY solution is for a worldwide cessation of burning hydrocarbons. A full and complete cessation. In about 100 years, the atmosphere will be back to a pre-industrial, middle age condition.

But we will still have 20 billion souls on the planet by 2050.

What is the REAL problem here?

No surprises here ......

"  A Conference Board of Canada study released Wednesday found the proposed carbon taxes mandated by the Trudeau government will have minimal impacts on reducing greenhouse gas emissions. But what the proposed tax will do, which is supposed to be in place in all provinces by 2018, is cause at least some harm to the economy, including lower wages, higher inflation, a drop in the gross domestic product, higher unemployment and reduced industrial output."

http://m.winnipegsun.com/2017/09/06/fight-the-carbon-tax

• Like 1