Sign in to follow this  
Malcolm

Refugee Resettlement

the summer cadet camp is being spit and polished . :biggrin1:

I remember the Air Cadet Camp as being 'Tent City'. (yah I am that old)

When did they get buildings?

I remember the Air Cadet Camp as being 'Tent City'. (yah I am that old)

When did they get buildings?

Jeeese...you must be older than dirt :biggrin2::blush:

Barracks were here when I arrived on base in '81

Seems that the movement has started but I doubt 10,000. will arrive by year end. http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/refugees-depart-lebanon-to-canada-1.3358543?cmp=rss

Syrian refugees feel excitement, nerves as they head to Canada on government plane Estimated 164 are privately sponsored, but government will pay for travel

By Susan Ormiston, CBC News Posted: Dec 10, 2015 4:32 AM ET Last Updated: Dec 10, 2015 9:10 AM ET

Play Media

Canada gets ready to welcome refugees 1:27

Susan Ormiston
Senior correspondent

Susan Ormiston's career spans more than 25 years reporting from hot spots such as Afghanistan, Egypt, Libya, Haiti, Lebanon and South Africa.

A group of about 164 Syrian refugees who left today on a Toronto-bound Canadian Forces Airbus from Beirut say they are excited to take the "big step" to come to Canada, but are also nervous about their journey.

The plane carrying the refugees departed Beirut-Rafic Hariri International Airport. It will land in Cologne, Germany, for a refuelling stop and crew change before carrying on to Canada. The refugees are expected to arrive in Toronto on Thursday evening.

Prior to their departure, the refugees were bused to Beirut's airport and met by staff from the International Organization for Migration who are co-ordinating the movement of refugees for Canada. Canada's ambassador to Lebanon, Michelle Cameron, was also at the airport to meet them.

As they waited at Gate 6 of the international departures terminal, most expressed happiness, but also some jitters about what lies ahead. The children clutched small teddy bears carrying little Canadian flags that were given to them upon arrival; many of the adults took selfies.

"It's a big step," one woman told me.

Some said they only found out three days ago they were cleared to come to Canada.

The Airbus is the first Canadian-sponsored plane to transport Syrian refugees to Canada under the Liberal government's expedited plan to bring in 25,000 refugees by the end of February.

Cameron confirmed to CBC News that most of those boarding are privately sponsored, but she did not give specific numbers. She added that the Lebanese government was co-operative in arranging exit visas.

I saw two Lebanese security officials, one in military uniform, one in plainclothes, sternly checking their documents
and asking the passengers to show what they were taking on the planes.

After over a month of assembling a large roster of refugees for resettlement in Canada, there are still few departures from the region. Another planeload is expected to leave Lebanon on Saturday heading for Montreal, but no other flights are scheduled yet for next week.

Late Wednesday night, a spokesperson for Global Affairs Canada said "for security and privacy reasons, media will not be able to access the tarmacs or the departure/arrival areas of the flights bringing Syrian refugees to Canada."

The plane carrying Syrian refugees left Jordan and touched down just before 4:30 a.m. ET in Beirut as part of the journey to Canada. (Sylvia Thomson/CBC)

Canadian Immigration Minister John McCallum said Wednesday that Canada visa officers had been able to secure Lebanese exit visas for two plane loads of refugees, but didn't offer up any idea of how many more will depart soon. Canada has set up refugee processing centres in both Beirut and Amman, Jordan.

Officials in Amman admit moving large numbers of refugees quickly through medical and security checks has proven to be a challenge.

As well as the 160 being transported to Canada by government plane, since Nov. 4, 416 Syrian refugees arrived in Canada in small groups on commercial aircraft. CBC News reported on one group of 32 that departed from Beirut on Nov. 29.

Subsequent flights from Jordan

At a news conference in Ottawa on Wednesday, McCallum said, "the flights to Canada will all come from Jordan. The people who are currently in Lebanon will move the short distance to Amman, Jordan. And all of the refugees from both Jordan and Lebanon will fly from Amman, Jordan to either Toronto or Montreal."

There was no explanation later about why the first flight did not depart from Amman.

Canada has set up refugee processing centres in Lebanon and Jordan, but officials say moving large numbers of refugees quickly through medical and security checks is a challenge. (Susan Ormiston CBC News )

Because the 164 who left Thursday are privately sponsored refugees, private groups will support them on arrival in Canada. The government will pay for their transport to Canada, initial medical costs, and arrival expenses.

The Liberal government's initial promise was for 25,000 government-sponsored refugees, but since then has said they will be a mix of private and government-sponsored arrivees.

Upon arrival, in Toronto and Montreal Canada Border Services Officers (BSO) "will confirm their identity using the documentation the refugees received following their immigration processing overseas."

"All refugees will also be checked for signs of illness when they arrive in Canada, per the Quarantine Act, and treatment will be available if anyone is ill upon arrival."

Refugees who are being resettled elsewhere in Canada will depart Friday.

And the Liberals want to double down.

Canada aims to double intake of Syrian refugees to 50,000: McCallum

Canadian Minister of Immigration John McCallum, center, poses for a photograph with a Syrian family soon to be resettled in Canada, Sunday, Dec. 20, 2015, at the UN refugee agency building in Amman, Jordan. (AP / Sam McNeil)

The Associated Press
Published Sunday, December 20, 2015 7:19PM EST

AMMAN, Jordan - Canada's minister of immigration and citizenship says the country's resettlement program for Syrian refugees could double its intake by the end of next year to 50,000.

John McCallum was in the Jordanian capital of Amman on Sunday, meeting with Syrian families preparing to board flights to Canada. He told one family: "Everyone in Canada is waiting to meet you."

Canada's new Liberal government is pushing forward with its pledge to resettle 25,000 Syrian refugees by the end of February. McCallum says Canada hopes to settle 35,000 to 50,000 Syrian refugees by the end of 2016, with the UN refugee agency, the Jordanian government and the International Organization for Migration assisting with the vetting process.

McCallum also toured development projects and refugee facilities during his two-day stop in Jordan.

The refugee issue is contentious to say the least. The people of Windsor Ontario are already objecting to this influx as they claim to already have the highest unemployment rate in the Country and see the new arrivals as competition for already limited work and a new burden on the social services sector. Sadly, no one from Ottawa ever asked them for their free opinion?

Then there’s the issue of security.

For simplicities sake I’ll refer to the two polarized pov’s on the issue as ‘Left’ & ‘Right’.

We are told that we are living in a Country that operates as a democracy directed by free people.

If history ultimately demonstrates that Trudeau and the Left made a giant mistake with its migration policy and management of the related issues, a big emotional folly without regard to practical reality by another description, as the Right would claim, our society will become a literal horror show.

Wouldn’t a civil discussion followed by a referendum on the subject be the more prudent path to the exercise of power than just telling the masses how it’s going to be no matter what the opposition thinks when so much is potentially at stake?

I’m pretty certain that Europe is going to tear itself completely apart before winter’s out specifically because the Leader of one Party in one EU Country acted irresponsibly and opened the flood gates; the news from Europe bears this contention out. It’s too bad for Europe that no one has been allowed to ask questions over there for years now in fear of being labelled, maybe even charged criminally, with being a racist etc..

We’re fortunate to at least have oceans separating us from the fray which may go some distance in protecting us.

Maybe I'm just an old softy, but I don't see my now dead fellow citizens as faceless numbers to be added to a statistical data base; they were once living people with real lives and dreams. Policy let them, their loved ones and every one else down way back when by ignoring the issues and then limiting free speech Rights through BS laws and regulations that only serve to stifle the public opinion and serve someone else's agenda.

I still don't understand WHY Canada (and the other Western countries) don't publicly call out the Middle Eastern countries for their lack of doing anything! They won't take migrants - why not? Instead they offer money to build mosques :angry_smile:

There's got to be more to the story than we're aware of? I mean, can Merkel really be so naïve that she and her minions would open the floodgates and then claim zero ability to stop the flow?

Not exactly a full house.. a TS 330 with 207 onboard??

Is the gov't still looking for volunteers? Couldn't they wait til they had a full load at least?

Interesting Press release, probably should have said 1st Canadian Airline Company rather than "the 1st Airline Company" as wasn't the first commercial airline flight operated by Royal Jordanian Airlines ?

It was going to be 25,000 by year end, that was revised downwards to 10,000 and now............ it looks like the number could be closer to 3000.

CTVNews.ca Staff
Published Wednesday, December 23, 2015 11:20AM EST
Last Updated Wednesday, December 23, 2015 12:14PM EST

Immigration Minister John McCallum said he can’t guarantee that the federal government will be able to meet its goal of bringing in 10,000 refugees by the end of the year.

Speaking at a briefing on Wednesday, McCallum said 10,000 refugees will be “verified” by Dec. 31, but not all will be on Canadian soil.

McCallum said such factors as poor flying weather, as well as other circumstances, could prevent the government from meeting its goal.

Immigration Minister John McCallum holds a news conference to update the Syrian refugee situation, in Ottawa, Wednesday, Dec. 23, 2015. (Fred Chartrand / THE CANADIAN PRESS)

“If there’s bad weather, or people wanting to delay their flight, then it’s much more difficult to deal with that over a period of eight days rather than a period of 60 days,” McCallum said.

However, McCallum said he is “confident” that Ottawa will meet its overall target to resettle refugees “well before” the end of February.

As of Dec. 21, 1,869 refugees had landed in Canada. Three more flights carrying Syrian refugees are scheduled to land before Dec. 31.

In his briefing, McCallum said that public servants in Lebanon and Jordan are working to “hit the target that we set.”

A flight carrying 298 Syrian refugees is expected to land in Montreal on Wednesday evening.

Another planeload of refugees is departing on Christmas Day, and is expected to arrive in Canada on Dec. 26.

McCallum also announced that the federal government would be allocating an additional $15 million to Canadian resettlement agencies.

If it's harder to find refugees who want to come to Canada because it's far away, that's good. As a student of early 20th century immigration, I found lots of evidence that people mentally ready to make a clean break from their present surroundings are more likely to adapt to their new country. The ones coming should do very well in that regard. I'd guess that as the Syrian situation persists, a lot more refugees are going to see the futility of hoping for a return to their old middle class lives. There will be no Syria, just a bunch of enclaves controlled tenuously by the various warring parties.

Every time that I see John McCallum on TV I think of the popular song "I know that you are lying because your lips are moving"

• Like 1

Too much 'make believe' in Syrian refugee program, former top bureaucrat says
Stephanie Levitz, The Canadian Press
Published Monday, December 28, 2015 5:57PM EST

OTTAWA -- As he watches his former colleagues go all out to resettle thousands of Syrian refugees by the end of this year, the civil servant who helped run Canada's last major refugee resettlement program says he's concerned that politics is getting in the way of policy.

Gerry Van Kessel says he's frustrated by the game he feels the Liberal government is playing by constantly affixing and changing targets for their Syrian refugee program.

"There is an element of make believe in all this that keeps the focus on the make believe and not the substance," he said in an interview.

"And to what purpose? That's the thing -- they are doing something that the public approves of. And yet the public focus is not going to be on what they are doing but on the manipulation around it."

Van Kessel was the director general, refugees, for the immigration department when the Canadian government evacuated 5,000 Kosovars and fast-tracked the resettlement of more than 2,000 others over a period of several months in 1999.

Van Kessel said as soon as he, and other former immigration officials, saw the government's Syrian plan, they knew bringing over more than three times that number of people in just four months couldn't be done.

What's happened since has been nothing but politics, he said.

"It became a political issue for them -- nervousness around the fact that they are seeing they are not meeting their promise so they keep pretending they are meeting their promise," he said.

In March, the Liberals had called for 25,000 Syrians to be brought to Canada. During the election campaign when refugee policy became an unexpected issue, they pledged that's what they would do if elected -- "immediately" their platform said and they would work with private sponsors to do even more.

The "immediately" was later defined as the end of the year. But since the Liberals have been sworn into power on Nov. 4, things keep changing.

First, the idea that it would be 25,000 government-assisted refugees by year-end was clarified to mean it would be a mix of those and privately-sponsored refugees, though the Liberals would eventually bring over the full 25,000 themselves, they said.

Then, the target dates were changed -- 10,000 privately-sponsored refugees would be admitted to Canada by the end of this year, a further 15,000 government-assisted refugees would arrive by the end of February, and the remaining government-assisted refugees would come by the end of 2016.

But all 25,000 would be identified by year end.

Then, both the numbers and the date shifted again -- the immigration minister said last week that there's no guarantee 10,000 Syrians will be in Canada by the end of this week, though he said the full 25,000 should still arrive by the end of February.

But identifying all 25,000 by year end was replaced with identifying 10,000 by year-end.

According to the immigration department, as of Dec. 26, 2,413 had arrived. A further 1,452 were scheduled to arrive on flights on Dec. 27 and Dec. 28. How many will arrive in the final three days of the year is unclear. Nine government flights currently appear on the schedule.

Also as of Dec. 26, a total of 7,218 -- including those who have arrived -- have been approved to come to Canada.

A variety of reasons have been given for the changing terms, ranging from public pressure to take more time to ensure security concerns are addressed to weather forcing the delays of flights.

Government officials and the responsible ministers have held regular briefings with the press and refugee service providers to keep them abreast of the program changes but Van Kessel says that's all just political "mumbling."

There are two potential fallouts from affixing that much political pressure to get the job done: that bureaucrats feel the need to take shortcuts to make it happen and that other programs suffer as a result, he said.

For the former, it may not be known ever whether any corners were cut to get that many refugees to Canada in keeping with the deadline, Van Kessel acknowledged. And when it comes to other programs, McCallum has said that refugee processing from other parts of the world isn't being held back.

But Van Kessel says given the number of civil servants deployed to work on the Syrian program, it's impossible think other programs aren't suffering.

He said he thinks it's important that the Liberals be kept accountable for the deadlines and targets they've set, but just wishes they had taken a simpler path in the first place -- acknowledge the original promise wasn't going to work and then just get to work doing what they could, while providing updates along the way.

"The resettlement program is a damn good program," he said. "And I don't like this playing politics all the time with it," he said.

What kind of equipment is being used that would permit weather delays beyond year-end?

Special Liberal Designed aircraft (excuse 999-er)

Getting a little tired of hearing about how Canada failed "little Alan Kurdi". They were safe in Turkey before his father wanted new teeth and decided to try to migrate to Europe.

You won't see that story on the CBC....btw his name was Aylan not the more familiar Alan.

• Like 1

Every time that I see John McCallum on TV I think of the popular song "I know that you are lying because your lips are moving"

Maybe he's throwing a bone to those who so desperately miss the last PM.
  • Like 1

Sadly we are seeing increasing reports from Europe that some male refugees are not capable of dealing with their new reality and inparticular the rights that Western Women enjoy. So far reports from Sweden and Germany have reported completely unacceptable behaviour towards women on New Years eve and now the BBC is reporting that immigrant men will be banned from using a swimming pool because of their behaviour towards women. I have always thought that we need to set up education sites for any immigrant in which we can teach them our ways before they come rather than dealing problems caused by cultural differences after they arrive. Are we talking about a minority of the migrants or witnessing a true clash of cultures ?

The Link to the latest story from Europe is:http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35326090

I have a few questions that I think are serious, fair and directed to those that would claim to believe in the ‘equality of the sexes’.

Why are western women so very apparently apathetic when it comes to any of the many degradations they know well are being endured by the highly subservient muslim women of Canada under the often literal ‘hand’ of their men, faith and culture?

Is the desire to be subjugated integral to the female genome as some would suggest meaning nature is a deviant force to be considered in the present circumstance?

Why have there never been any Suffragette like movements, or public protests through which women’s groups demand action from their governments to advance & protect the Rights and equal treatment of all women in Canada and not just the ‘shrinking’ Judeo / Christian class they belong to?

If the current trend is allowed to continue, and there’s no reason to believe it won’t, how many short decades will it be before the little Johnny’s and Bobby’s of the West are fully indoctrinated and inclined by example to take privilege over women right along with their male muslim counterparts?

How can, or does today’s mother, or father justify there being two classes of women in Canada to their young sons?

At the same time, how will / do / can parents of the present day educate & protect their daughters from the influence of a growing culture that takes insult with any suggestion contending females are entitled to any of the Rights prescribed at Law?

Defcon: re your last paragraph. Think back to 1910 Canada. Women were not people under the law of the land. When out in public they had to wear a hat, clothing that buttoned up to the neck and that did not reveal the wrist or ankles. When in public with a male who was not related they had to be chaperoned. Wages for females were based on the fact that when they married they would quit or lose their jobs and be kept by their husband. Into the 50s a female school teacher was not allowed to continue teaching once visibly pregnant. Up to the late 30s, if a Canadian born woman married a non Canadian, she lost her citizenship (under British law and remember we were all British Citzens) and would only regain it if her new husband became a citizen and only if she then applied for citizenship. A Canadian born man could on the other hand marry a non Canadian woman who would instantly become a British Citizen (Canadian)

In my opinion we are seeing a culture that is 100+ years behind the western curve in how women are / where treated.

Mind you, there are still some Canadian Born "Males" who do not believe women are equal.

Now comes the hard part, how do we bring them all into this brave new world?

Malcolm, I think you are a few hundred years out in your description. All that you state is true, to a degree, but we didn't stone women to death if they didn't comply, they were merely frowned upon. These Muslims are going back to a time that has never existed in Canada or North America.

Malcolm, I think you are a few hundred years out in your description. All that you state is true, to a degree, but we didn't stone women to death if they didn't comply, they were merely frowned upon. These Muslims are going back to a time that has never existed in Canada or North America.

Mo32a , everything I said is completely historically accurate. I can quote you chapter and verse if you like but you can also look it up yourself. Dress code, loss of citizenship, loss of work if married etc etc did happen and in the time span I quoted. Re stoning etc, I agree it was much earlier in our history that we did that and I did say 100 years +. But of course not all Muslims subscribe to stoning (never did read anywhere that it would be because of dress code violation) nor did all Christians agree that witches should be burned. My point remains that we are dealing in the most part with folks who are many years behind the curve of Western Cultures and we need to understand that before we attempt to mix them into our present day mode of life.

And I restate my question: "

Now comes the hard part, how do we bring them all into this brave new world?"